Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    This is a business analysis of Palm running on "vapor cash" and " ... concerned that yield and supply problems will hurt unit contribution and potentially limit volumes"

The article cane found here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1348...ikely-to-break

Anyway, just thought I'd share since I am on the fence about getting one.
    Last edited by Clack; 07/05/2009 at 08:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Three points:
    1) Article was pre-release, and heavy on it.
    2) I've read SA on and off, and their track record is pretty close to abysmal.
    3) The article expresses concern that there would be a dramatic price drop in Palm stock once the Pre released. That was not the case.

I don't have a Pre - I've been surprisingly happy with my Touch Pro - but don't let Palm corporate stop you from getting one.

-TC
    That is a pretty old article and came out a month before it was actually released.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    who cares
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tdcrone View Post
    Three points:
    1) Article was pre-release, and heavy on it.
    2) I've read SA on and off, and their track record is pretty close to abysmal.
    3) The article expresses concern that there would be a dramatic price drop in Palm stock once the Pre released. That was not the case.

I don't have a Pre - I've been surprisingly happy with my Touch Pro - but don't let Palm corporate stop you from getting one.

-TC
    The point was, as investor advice, they analyzed the risk that Palm would have problems with the new device and therefore hurt when the device was released.

So, it is very relevant they predicted Palm would have hardware issues and they are.

Interestingly, the Palm Pre issues made a business opprotunity for T-Mobile: The MyTouch will be warrnted with instore replacements for up to 2 years (the life of the phone contract when the phone is bought new).
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbott View Post
    That is a pretty old article and came out a month before it was actually released.
    Yes, they predicted Palm was going to have QA issues _before_ the device came out. And they are having above average QA issues.
    "We must not contradict, but instruct him that contradicts us; for a madman is not cured by another running mad also." - Dr. An Wang
    Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    Yes, they predicted Palm was going to have QA issues _before_ the device came out. And they are having above average QA issues.
    Well from what I read from that article they said yield problems which really doesn't necessarily mean QA issues with released product and even if their prediction was right, they also indicated Palms stock dropping even further which in fact it hasn't. So they really didn't give some big prediction that came true.

There was alot of speculation before it came out that inventory was going to be tight.

I don't disagree there are some QA issues, just that the article didn't reveal to me that they had any sort of revelation before the Pre came out. So reading it as an old article, it didn't to be very relevant.
    Last edited by gabbott; 07/08/2009 at 04:31 PM.