1.    #1  
    With the Pre seemingly a success, and the Treo Pro being discounted, have we seen the last Palm phone to be called a "Treo"?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    could be.

at one point i was under the impression that they were keeping Treo's around to put windows mobile on. But maybe they just can't compete with samsung and HTC in that arena so they are going to go all WebOS?

If they can up the security of the exchange activesync on the Pre to so everything it does on winmo- then there's no need to keep winmo aronud besides people like the borg. But apple seems to have shown the IT folks that supporting non winmo phones on exchange is no big deal.
    I see the Treo as a hardware line. Keeping the form factor and adding webOS could satisfy a lot of people's needs.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    ... have we seen the last Palm phone to be called a "Treo"?
    I think that we have.

They were talking about a three tier product line of WinMob, WebOs and PalmOS, in decreasing order of professionalism, but that seems to have been redefined already to WinMob, WebOS, WebOS. And I think that all Palm phones will be WebOS in the not too distant future.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlcroucher View Post
    ...and the Treo Pro being discounted...
    I haven't heard news on this yet. Is there a Web link somewhere? What's the discounted price with the carriers? (Especially Sprint).
    I don't know where you got that the Pro is being discontinued. I have seen no evidence of this anywhere including Palm's own site that still lists the Pre, Pro and Centro. That being said, I don't see Palm releasing another WM Treo until WM7 is finally released by the end of this year meaning no new WM Treos until 2010. Palm will never release another legacy PalmOS device. Going forward I see Palm supporting both the WebOS platform and WM, though I think they will outsource most the WM design to 3rd parties like HTC and etc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Treo form factor, w/ webOS = WIN
    Prē *********♥
    1Ghz
    Pixi *********♥
    Patched up
    (Gone)
    Now on a Samsung Epic
    *Creator of the best thread on precentral*

RIP

Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    BIG plus1!
    Quote Originally Posted by glamisfanatic View Post
    Agreed, but it won't be called Treo. (Pixie/EOS, but I don't see why it shouldn't be Treo 900 myself)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    interesting point why it wont be a "treo"- i guess "treo" will be reserved for wm?
    They must be intending to keep developing the Treo line, or they would do SOMETHING with the name. It's too valuable a brand to simply let it wither and die. Unless, of course, they think it carries more negative connotations, links to the "old" Palm, etc. Still, it was a HUGE success and could be again. WebOS on a Treo? How about a "lite" version that can be flashed onto older models like the 750 or 680?
    Verizon