View Poll Results: What impact will the Treo have on the futuer of springboards?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • The comet is coming - springboards going the way of the dinosaur.

11 23.40%
  • It's just a fad. Sprinboards will be around forever.

8 17.02%
  • It'll make it tougher but there's room enough for everyone.

20 42.55%
  • By the time Treo get's here Sony will have something better.

8 17.02%
  1.    #1  
    I have some concern about the future of the springboard based on the announcement of the Treo. Many companies are having problems making springboards financially viable. The Treo wouldn't be an issue if it was a conquest product. Meaning, people that purchased the Treo would normally have purchased either a Non-Visor product or no PDA at all.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Treo looks like a great product and will probably seriously consider the color version when it comes out. Especially if I start seeing a drop in the type of springboards being offered.

Just curious what the rest of you think.
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
    You're missing the point - Treos are not Visors. They are separate product lines. Plenty of people will not want a cell phone in their PDA and Visors are still for them.
    Jeff
  3.    #3  
    You're missing the point - Treos are not Visors.
    No, I don't think I'm missing the point.

The Treo wouldn't be an issue if it was a conquest product. Meaning, people that purchased the Treo would normally have purchased either a Non-Visor product or no PDA at all.
    My point was if the statement:

Plenty of people will not want a cell phone in their PDA and Visors are still for them.
    will prove to be true. I know that many hope they will be, but I think Treo may actually steal sales from Visor.
    "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Benjamin Franklin
    What if the Treo was a visor with a permanent springboard? Eg the GSM portion of the phone uses the normal springboard technology internally and therefore cannot accomodate a springboard slot.

Just my thoughts.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    The springboard is dead. Handspring is now releasing a new line of THEIR OWN PDAs that do not contain the springboard technology. I see little reason for a third party springboard manufacturer to retain faith in the platform if the very company that made it is now diluting their own product line with non-springboard compliant PDAs.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I don't think so. Most of the people who would buy a Treo are the ones who have/were going to buy a VisorPhone, which basically means their Springboard slot would have been in use all the time for a single board anyway.

The real test will be if they release new Visors with SB slots soon after the Treos come out. If they keep trying to ride out the current models for that long, maybe they'll start to lose SB developers. I don't think they'd be quite that foolish though.
    Originally posted by ashmed
    What if the Treo was a visor with a permanent springboard? Eg the GSM portion of the phone uses the normal springboard technology internally and therefore cannot accomodate a springboard slot.
    I think that this is correct, but HS hasn't (and won't, IMO) admitted as much.
    I don't think so. Most of the people who would buy a Treo are the ones who have/were going to buy a VisorPhone, which basically means their Springboard slot would have been in use all the time for a single board anyway.
    That makes sense, but wouldn't you argue that a majority of PDA users are probably Cell phone users and that when it comes time to update one or the other, that they'd probably choose a Treo Device?

Maybe not. That's just one scenario, of course.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    Originally posted by ashmed
    I don't understand what you mean. Do you suggest that inside the Treo there is a connector like the springboard connector of the Visor and it is connected to a connector like the springboard connector on any springboard but it's permanent? They'd never do that. Straight wires (or pcb traces) would be much cheaper and easier to assemble.
    Jeff
    I was just saying that it's possible that the gsm portion of the Treo probably IS a springboard just without all the pins and such. So it's basically hardwired into the CPU or however it all works inside there. This would make sense for HS to do from an engineering aspect.
    You know it's bad when your Calculus Professor uses the word "Unpossible"

"It's a long way from my thoughts to what I'll say, It's a long, long way from paradise to where I am today." -Switchfoot, Home
    Okay, maybe I'm crazy, but didn't Handspring actually TELL US that not all their units would have springboard slots? I seem to remember actually reading statements from Jeff Hawkins (and/or Donna Dubinsky) where they actually admitted that tha SB wouldn't be in ALL their product lines, just their "core" units.

Why are people going so wiggy about this? They told us it was coming. They PLANNED this from the beginning. This isn't some rash decision that suddenly sparks the demise of the springboard, this was a planned decision that HS told us was coming. Are they killing off the SB? I sure as heckfire don't think so. This is simply a company that's trying to branch out.

Why would someone buy a Visor if they knew the Treo's were coming? Because they WANT a springboard slot, that's why. I can also tell you that, while I AM a cell phone user, I don't use it all that much. I actually use my springboard slot more (Memplug, Beat Plus, Minstrel S modem), so the Treo isn't anywhere near my purchasing radar. However, the "Phantom new color Visor" is.
    -Richard Powell

"Nice guys may finish last, but you know, the company's much better back here."
    SAY good bye to the springboard!
    not cause the TREO is here. they were going before that.
    i was about to buy a few springboards like the phisorphone
    untill i bought my edge. then i still thought about memplug and audible advisor.
    well i was waiting and waiting and waiting for more springboards and i was getting frustrated, i was waiting for a new color visor or god-forbid looking at other PDA's
    now the treo is out. and i am going for it. the color with the graffitti!

bye bye springboards
    Currently available at HS;
    Visor Deluxe $169 Springboard Equipped
    Visor Neo $199 Springboard Equipped
    Visor Platinum $199 Springboard Equipped
    Visor Prism $299 Springboard Equipped
    Visor Edge $299 Springboard adaptable
    Visor Pro $299 Springboard Equipped

Not Available
    Visor Treo $399 non Springboard
    Visor Treo Grafitti $399 non Springboard
    Visor Treo Color $599 non Springboard
    Visor Treo Color Grafitti $599 non Springboard

Hmm, I don't see death to Springboard in this at all. What I see is plenty of choice.
    As for the Treo, it looks like they used the Springboard technology to add a phone to a small Visor. The biggest complaint about the VisorPhone is that it makes the Visor too big. HS solved that problem to a "T". Hats off to HS, job well done.
    All I can say is when that Color treo comes out, it will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine. Im willing to drop springboard use to have it. I have the memplug, the targus keyboard and the eyemodule 2. I love the memplug but when I think about it I do have a lot of crap that I really dont need on my 8mb plug. Most of it is ringtones that i use with monkeytone (Which by the way I hope I can use it with the treo. I dont see why not) And the eymodule 2 I use quite often but I guess Id rather have a phone pda combo thats compact than have the eyemodule. I have a digital camera already.

So when the treo color comes out, check out ebay cause ill be dropping all that I have to get one. Hopefully I can score enough money for my old stuff to make the price for the new color treo.