Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Palm decided to NOT introduce their always on product until after Christmas, since they had too much inventory. Handspring seems to have chosen the single most self-destructive route - announce in October, then don't release for 9 months! Why would ANYONE buy a Visor in the meanwhile?

Clearly demand will be huge by the time they release the product amongst the Handspring community, but by then there will be 5 other always on products out there as well, so they will be late to market, AND have killed their Christmas sales in the process
    Last edited by paz5559; 10/16/2001 at 09:41 AM.
    Originally posted by paz5559
    Why would ANYONE buy a Visor in the meanwhile?
    Oh, GPS module, backup module, flash module, eyemodule2, MP3 player module, dictionary or bible module, Presenter-to-Go...

The Treo are not Visors. If you want modules (which, lets face it, is the main thing that distinguishes HS from the rest of the pack), you want a Visor.

Now, that said, I could see Treo hurting VP sales unless HS hurries up with the details about what the announced trade-up policy.
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    The modules you mentioned are nice, but none of them are killer apps. Treo encorporates the three killer applications that everyone will use, and may well be best of breed in all three if the GSM/GPRS network is up and running by then.

The eye module is cool, but a digital camera is better. GPS is fun, but the one in my car is more useful. The mini jam is a nice idea, but not as well executed as the Rio. Visors are only as good as the modules available, and despite the cool factor, there are better PDAs out there. Handspring knows this, or they wouldn't be be pirating the jog dial from the Clie, and the SMS features from the RIM. The Treo takes the best Springboard modules available and encorporates them into the next genreration product. The problem, as I see it, is that by the time they finally release it, almost another generation in this ever-changing world of hardware development will have passed, and Handspring may have no cash left for further development if consumers wait to buy the new products.
    Last edited by paz5559; 10/16/2001 at 10:27 AM.
    I imagine many folks won't want to cough up that kind of dough and/or are uninterested in the cell phone/palm combo. For example, I am more interested in going with the color Prism. My Nokia works just fine for my phone needs and my VDX for my palm ones.
    Handspring knows this, or they wouldbe be pirating the jog dial from the Clie, and the SMS features from the RIM.
    The Treo does have a jog dial, and does handle SMS...

http://www.handspring.com/products/t..._cat_name=Treo
    [ email: peter@prwdot.org -- web: http://prwdot.org/ ]
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Well, on the one hand, you will need to carry around two devices when a Treo owner will need only one. While you will have a date book and a phone, a Treo owner will have a web browser, and instant access to his or her email as well. And to those who say that you can accomplish the same things with modules, the advantage of the Treo over a cell phone, prism, snap N type, visor phone, and rim is that the Treo encorporates all of the aforementioned functions into one device. Once you look at the cost of all the hardware mentioned, even the exorbitant $599 price tag seems a tad more tolerable.
    Well, on the one hand, you will need to carry around two devices when a Treo owner will need only one. While you will have a date book and a phone, a Treo owner will have a web browser, and instant access to his or her email as well. And to those who say that you can accomplish the same things with modules, the advantage of the Treo over a cell phone, prism, snap N type, visor phone, and rim is that the Treo encorporates all of the aforementioned functions into one device. Once you look at the cost of all the hardware mentioned, even the exorbitant $599 price tag seems a tad more tolerable.
    True, true.
    However, I didn't say I wanted a web browser, instant access to email, etc. For those that want/need all that, the cost may be validated by all of the goodies. I don't mind carrying around two devices b/c I can just shove them both in my purse.

Okay, who am i kidding....I am DROOLING over the Treo.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    That is my whole point! I am drooling over it too, and if it were available now, I would buy one. I am stuck debating whether I should wait to buy one in 9 months, or buy something else now. Some segement of the population will wait, and I think Handspring will be hurting in Q4 and Q1 of next year as a result!
    Handspring seems to have chosen the single most self-destructive route
    self-destructive? um, have you seen their stock? it was valued at just over a buck 5 days ago. now it's over three--tripling in value since the announcement.

handspring has more people to satisfy than the techgeeks on this forum.

mc
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    The street will respond to Handspring's financial statement, and if that is hurt by the delay in Treo's introduction, then I would guess that the stock price will be UNDER $1 by the time the new device is FINALLY introduced in Q2-3 of next year
    Someone in a different thread commented on how detailed all of the info on Handspring's site, the video, pictures, tech specs, etc is and wondered if maybe there will be an early release.

Even though I am drooling over a Treo, however, I still am leaning towards the purchase of a reduced price Prism. I've been drooling over color for a while but b/c my trusty VDX has performed w/out any glitches I really have trouble justifying any purchase at all.

I think Handspring's early announcement was to satify those who were ******** after the Neo and Pro were announced that "Handspring is giving us the same old thing" and Handspring's specific/precise details were for those who have complained "The Edge was released too fast with too many problems," in addition to trying to appease those who say "Where is the innovation from Handspring?" Trying to keep everyone happy means no one is usually happy.
    I don't know that announcing the Treo so early before release will
    have much impact on Visor sales. After all, they're two distinct
    product lines going after different markets. The Visors are for
    people who need a PDA and organizer, and want gadgets.
    I see the Treo geared more towards those that don't need or
    want expandibility, and are so co-dependent on cellphones and PDAs
    that it makes more sense for them to have one device instead of 2.
    I think it would be more appropriate to see how the Treo will
    perform saleswise against the Kyocera smartphone rather than other
    PDAs.

I for example, would never let a cell phone defile my person because I
    don't want nor do I have the desire to be that in contact with
    the outside world. But I do love my Platinum because it helps
    me stay organized and remember what I need to do from day to day.
    My cell-phone junkie wife on the other hand, has no need for
    expansion and gadgets on her PDA, so I'm sure she would be perfectly
    willing to trade in her Edge and Nokia 5160 for a Treo.

I do think though, that this long delay between announcement and availability will give other companies an opportunity to leap frog handspring and push their product out before the Treo's arrive.

And where the heck does this name Treo come from anyway?
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    It seems like the Treo and the Visor are really two different products aimed at two different market segments. The Visor is a "straight" PDA -- utilitarian, simple, basically an entry-level device. The Treo seems more angled toward the "mobile professional" who wants the PDA functions but also needs a cell phone and constant internet access. I hesitate to say that the Treo is aimed at the "power user" because the PDA functions on the Treo are still pretty basic -- there's no advance in processor, OS version, expandability, etc. from the Visors. Plus, there is that price difference too -- I personally would be hard pressed to spend $600 on a PDA unless it was something like the Jornada (without the screen dust). So I don't think there will be much cannibalism going on -- the devices appeal to two different types of user.

By the way K. Cannon -- GREAT signature.
    BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    I think you guys are missing the point. Handspring pre-announced the Treo for precisely that reason: because it would slow down sales -- not of Visors but of every other handheld/cellphone combo.

There were probably a lot of people who were planning to buy a combo device for Christmas. Now a lot of them are going to wait until the Treo is ready. Treo is clearly the class act of the bunch, which combines the best features of everyone else's product. But if they didn't pre-announce the Treo, there'd be no market left by the time it was ready to launch. That's why they put out so much information in their press release, because all that info helps hold the market.

Meanwhile, sales of Visors to people who don't need a combo device aren't threatened in any way. No fools, those Handspring folks, IMHO.
    Originally posted by rosswords
    [...] Meanwhile, sales of Visors to people who don't need a combo device aren't threatened in any way. No fools, those Handspring folks, IMHO.
    And like mc said, their stock price definitely hasn't been hurting because of it. For their sake, I hope they don't run into the same QC issues that the Edge went through with the Treos. The cellphone market isn't anywhere near as forgiving in that regard, especially at the price levels they're dealing with.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by imabug
    And where the heck does this name Treo come from anyway?
    I think it's supposed to remind us of "trio", which symbolizes that there are three things happening in one device -- it's an organizer, a cell phone, and an internet appliance. Or it could be a misspelling of "Oreo".

BertBert
    Mark 12:28-31
    Originally posted by Toby
    For their sake, I hope they don't run into the same QC issues that the Edge went through with the Treos. The cellphone market isn't anywhere near as forgiving in that regard, especially at the price levels they're dealing with.
    That might actually be the final make or brake issue for Handspring. Have any of the visors not had (at least initial) QC issues? Perhaps the Neo and Pro, but I seem to recall stumbling upon threads for the Solo, Deluxe, Plat, Prism, and Edge QC issues. They could drive around and personally edited everybody who has a defective Treo in addition to replacing it, and it won't make a lick of difference. As you say, in the phone market, no amount of customer service can make up for a faulty product. It's not once, twice, no sale. It's once, hey, what else can I get?
    Originally posted by BertBert
    By the way K. Cannon -- GREAT signature.
    Hey, thanks! I liked it too!