1.    #1  
    I pored through the massive amounts of information that's new on Handspring's site.. here are some clips I found:

1) The Treo is not a "Visor"... there are two seperate lines for Handspring now (Hurry and register treocentral.com!).

2) The Handspring line will continue with Springboards, the Treos won't because size is so important for them...

3) Handspring IS considering SD/CF slots "if there is demand" for them.. Treo with SD or Visor with SB/SD might not be unlikely?

4) They are "aggressively" making a CDMA (Verizon etc) version of the Treo..

5) The new Treos are the smallest PalmOS devices ever (4.3" x 2.7" x 0.7" vs. m1xx's 4.82" x 3.1" x 0.87)

6) There will be a trade-in offer for VisorPhone owners, but no details about it yet (NICE!).

7) They will make a GPRS software upgrade when/if GPRS becomes commercially successful/available. Ie, always on service. However, they DO have a service where e-mails "bounce" to your phone, so it's very similar to "always on"...

All in all, these phones look great. Good job Handspring! This better shut up all the "Handspring is dead" ppl..
    Originally posted by jeremyf
    This better shut up all the "Handspring is dead" ppl..
    Why? These products won't hit the market until next year. The 270 won't even be here until next July. And what makes you think these devices are going to be a guarenteed success? After all, the Edge was supposed to set PDA market on fire...but ended up being a wet match.
    Originally posted by jeremyf

5) The new Treos are the smallest PalmOS devices ever (4.3" x 2.7" x 0.7" vs. m1xx's 4.82" x 3.1" x 0.87)

I'm not so certain that this is a legitimate claim: I have a Samsung I300 Palm OS Color phone now and it's narrower and about the same thickness and only slightly longer at 4.7 inches and the key here is I have it, now.

The color Treo won't be available until Mid-2002 and it will be GSM compatible but let's face it....this will be a problem for Handspring in the long run because they've shown their hand early and what they've got doesn't muster up to the Samsung at the moment.

I expect refinements by other manufacturers prior to Handspring getting the color unit out...come on why announce something that's not going to be available for almost 9 months. Palm got in trouble by releasing pictures of the M505 45 days prior to it's actual release, 9 months. Handspring's not likely to sell a Visorphone or the greyscale Treo because everyone will want to wait for the color.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    The Handspring line will continue with Springboards, the Treos won't because size is so important for them...
    Sounds like they are killing of the springboard indirectly. If they are diluting their own product line with non-springboard devices, what insentive is their for 3rd party manufacturers to continue supporting it?

Oh well.

That's progress I suppose.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne