1.    #1  
    I was thinking about these new Treo's tonight. Rumour has it that they have no Springboard expansion slots. May Handspring intends to market these towards regular Cell phone users instead of PDA users. Who knows, they may not even be available through regular channels, but only through cell-phone-service resellers?

This could be a good thing. Handspring branching off into new markets means more income for Handspring. They would not have to rely on the floundering PDA market for all of their income.

The second advantage to this scenario is getting people involved in the Palm OS that may not have otherwise been interested. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Doug
    Every since I got a visorphone, the module never comes out. I would welcome the Treo with no springboard just because of the improved form factor.
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Every since I got a visorphone, the module never comes out. I would welcome the Treo with no springboard just because of the improved form factor.

With 16 MB of RAM who needs a Springboard slot? A SD slot would be a big bonus though.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    "With 16 MB of RAM who needs a Springboard slot? A SD slot would be a big bonus though."

Let's see. People who have a minijam. People who have a backup module. People who have the VOX recorder. People who have an Eyemodule 2. People who have a GPS module. People who already invested in a MemPlug with CF because they have a digital camera with CF. People who have the Personal Massager module...

There's a lot more to expansion than memory. All the Palm people that keep swearing up and down that SD is the be-all-and-end-all of expansion really don't get it. Not to mention the limitation of only being able to use two types of cards (MMC and SD) as opposed to the MemPlug for Visors (which allows for CF, MMC, Smart Media, MemStick, etc.)

Giving up the Springboard entirely would be a huge mistake for Handspring. It's their most marketable asset. If the Treos really don't have one, I'm guessing other new models are going to come from Handspring in the coming months that do.

As people have been suggesting, this is merely a branching out, not a complete shift in ideology.

What company could afford to lose a good chunk of its installed user base, in hopes that others will dump their current cell phone service providers to jump on a new bandwagon in this economic climate?

There's a good reason why Palm is waiting on its Palm VII replacement. And it has nothing to do with technology.

Speaking of service providers, if Handspring has any hopes of making Treo work, they're going to have to have a real sit down with those folks, and get them to offer a plan that is somewhat reasonable. I can see Cingular wanting to charge an awful lot for "always on" capability. They already ream you a new orafice just for making data calls.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    I'd like a Treo with a Edge-style sled. That way I'd always have my phone/Visor and I could use a backup module. That's the only one I use besides the VP anyway.
    Jeff
    Originally posted by mrjoec
    "With 16 MB of RAM who needs a Springboard slot? A SD slot would be a big bonus though."

Let's see. People who have a minijam. People who have a backup module. People who have the VOX recorder. People who have an Eyemodule 2. People who have a GPS module. People who already invested in a MemPlug with CF because they have a digital camera with CF. People who have the Personal Massager module...

calls.
    Could you imagine what the phone would look like with those modules you mentioned. The darn thing would have made Frankenstein look pretty. People are already complaining hot the Edge/Module combo looks.