Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    What are you encoding the audio in? Not programs, but audio format, bitrate, compression, etc.
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    I know little about these things, but I know that the ringtones are MP3s when they are on the Pre.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NINnerd View Post
    I know little about these things, but I know that the ringtones are MP3s when they are on the Pre.
    I downloaded VLC from videolan.org and I loaded up the ringtones that I liked from my winmo phone, and use VLC to convert the wma to MP3.

And then copied it to the ringtone folder on the pre via usb.

It's a basic sound file. Sample rate of 8Khz is fine for ring tone if it's a simple sound like a bell. If it's s clip of music or some sort, I would sample it at 128, 22Khz to keep the file size small. Or just keep the original sample that it was coded in. You can use mptrim to trim mp3s. The file only needs to be about a second long as it will repeat itself as a ringtone.
    Either way, the phone will play it.

Hopes that helps.

Ax
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by axthereo View Post
    Sample rate of 8Khz is fine for ring tone if it's a simple sound like a bell. If it's s clip of music or some sort, I would sample it at 128, 22Khz to keep the file size small.
    I was just curious what others were using. The device has rigntones that are 320 k joint stereo, I generally like 128 - 192k VBR mp3's. Since there is only one speaker I thought you could even down that to mono. If it doesn't sound too aweful.

I just don't have any of my old audio manipulation tools on my pc right now.
    Found Wavosauras (probably overkill, but freeware) to process a song. Raise db's in some part, decreased in others. Added some fades and cut it down to 30 seconds. Saved at 96kb bitrate and is fine coming out of a phone speaker or headphones.

Started with a 4 minute, 0 MB file. Down to 413KB. Can't waste those precious GB on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by realistdreamer View Post
    Found Wavosauras (probably overkill, but freeware) to process a song. Raise db's in some part, decreased in others. Added some fades and cut it down to 30 seconds. Saved at 96kb bitrate and is fine coming out of a phone speaker or headphones.

Started with a 4 minute, 0 MB file. Down to 413KB. Can't waste those precious GB on the Pre.

Well I used to use Soundforge eons ago so I dug that out and have been saving them in 192 VBR in joint stereo and they seem a little low. I had thought about upping the gain, but I thought that might distort on such a small speaker.

How much are you raising the db?
    +4db but only on the whisper sections to normalize with the full music sections. Didn't raise the db elsewhere.