1.    #1  
    will Palm stop producing PalmOS and WinMob phones? will it be all WebOS, all the time?
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Seems to me that Ruby is a nice guy. I hope he brings Palm to a higher level whether it means letting the Palm OS fade or letting go of WinMo.
    Global Posts
    773 Global Posts
    Why not? so far i think webOS is superior to both palmos and WinCrap. Plus when developers see how easy and fast they can develop apps, its going to be "off the hook" as the kids say these days.
    Regardless of his being the CEO, Palm has already said that they're done with Garnet. I highly suspect it would've been the same for Windows Mobile as well. While the Treo Pro is a generally high quality WM device, there's not enough to differentiate it from the myriad of devices HTC puts out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Regardless of his being the CEO, Palm has already said that they're done with Garnet. I highly suspect it would've been the same for Windows Mobile as well. While the Treo Pro is a generally high quality WM device, there's not enough to differentiate it from the myriad of devices HTC puts out there.
    That's because it is an HTC device. That said, there aren't too many HTC touch screen devices with the Treo form factor or a 3.5mm audio jack.

As for PalmOS, I agree, they were already killing it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    That's because it is an HTC device. That said, there aren't too many HTC touch screen devices with the Treo form factor or a 3.5mm audio jack.

As for PalmOS, I agree, they were already killing it off.
    Yeah, I know that, but even if Palm made their own I'm not sure it'd stand out.
    It depends on what Palm is. are they a device maker. are they an OS designer. They have their own OS. Are they planning on licensing it out to other manufacturers. Palm needs to set themselves aside from everyone else. When someone buys a palm product what are they buying. While palm has been trying to redefine themselves they have proven that they can put any os on their devices and they will sell. Now that they have their own OS why would they license another OS to compete with their own. Unless the products don't compete for the same market share it would be a bad move to support both. In doing so they split their resources. They should probably take a page from apples playbook and stick to the webOS based devices. Apple doesn't make windows based or linux base devices. They only make MacOS based products.

I think eventually they will focus on webOS based products. probably sooner than later.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by SedahDrol View Post
    Unless the products don't compete for the same market share it would be a bad move to support both. In doing so they split their resources. They should probably take a page from apples playbook and stick to the webOS based devices. Apple doesn't make windows based or linux base devices. They only make MacOS based products.

I think eventually they will focus on webOS based products. probably sooner than later.
    Palm doesn't make WM devices anymore and they probably won't be making PalmOS devices for much longer. They are already focused on webOS.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I imagine that the WinMo solutions will still be there in some form as its pretty simple to put on there and addresses a few needs WebOS doesn't yet.

I imagine that once the Eos hits the Centro will be on its way out. I don't think we'll see another POS device after the centro