Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    I have never read a more unresearched, biased article from a "tech" writer. Please do me a favor, sully yourselves by creating a PC World account just to bash this loser.

PC WORLD "ARTICLE": Palm Pre: Nowhere To Go But Down

"...but anyone who buys a $199 Pre over a $99 iPhone 3G is seeing something that has quite eluded me."
    Click here: TCO article (there are lots, but this had nice pictures...and Palm Pre voice commands! ;-))

"Meanwhile, the Pre will never develop the serious developer mojo it needs to have a reach chance at success."
    Click here: pre dev wiki: List All Pages
    And of course here: OK ROM comes thread
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Its certainly biased. That said the Pre is more expensive that the 3G iPhone now and may never have the level of app developer support the iPhone enjoys.
    Agreed, He has a few points, but he's an iphone fanboy type, and lacks any objectivity or journalistic sense.
    PalmPilot > Pilot Pro > PalmIII > PalmV > m500 > m505 > KyoceraPalmPhone > Treo650 > Centro > ?pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Its certainly biased. That said the Pre is more expensive that the 3G iPhone now and may never have the level of app developer support the iPhone enjoys.

Or I could just as easily say, the real cost (including carrier charges) of the Pre is less than the iPhone and, because of it's open architecture, it may have a greater level of support than the iPhone enjoys.
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Or I could just as easily say, the real cost (including carrier charges) of the Pre is less than the iPhone and, because of it's open architecture, it may have a greater level of support than the iPhone enjoys.
    Ya, but, but but...............................................

but

but............

Apple is amazing. Omg look at that thing play music! Look at all those apps. Everyone has an iphone no one likes palm and nothing can beat an iphone.
    iphone and Pre are excellent phones. The down fall for iphone is crap service from At&t and no insurance. Iam really pleased with my Pre
    So far if you look at the stats... 62 fanboys and 662 sane people voted the article. :P
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I think there is some true to this story. I will be hard for Palm to catch up and I'm not sure how down their financial issues are but they need to find a way to grab peoples attention. The recent iPhone release was nothing significant and nothing worth noting, the only difference of the two people will notice is the video recording and the compass...truth be told how likley is it someone will use the compass? The difference between the two companies is that as much useless crap their is on the iPhone they make it seem "Cool" with marketing and attract peoples eyes. I think it has been a failure to not release the Pre SDK sooner and still holding it back. Most people are not techie people and will not see the quality of the phone or what it can potentially do but rather will look at things like ease of use and a huge focus on the app store. Most people I have asked about the Pre say "It seems like a nice phone and I like the cards view but apple has a lot of games and apps."
    Quote Originally Posted by fry8 View Post
    Apple is amazing. Omg look at that thing play music! Look at all those apps. Everyone has an iphone no one likes palm and nothing can beat an iphone.
    Did you not read the review on Ars Technica?
    They are of the opinion that the Pre is not an iPhone killer, it is actually a Blackberry killer.
    yah. palm has never had developer support.. no one will want to write apps for a palm device.. there's not community of palm users already out there.. what will we ever do.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgatz View Post
    iphone and Pre are excellent phones. The down fall for iphone is crap service from At&t and no insurance. Iam really pleased with my Pre
    Exactly. The reality of it is that bashing WebOS, iPhone OS or Android is silly because this market is big enough for all of them to be successful. And as consumers then this competition is only going to deliver us better products and quicker OS updates.

The real enemies in this industry are the carriers. Right now they are relying on exclusivity deals in order to grab customers and that is why we should be rooting for every phone platform on every carrier. Take away their exclusivity bragging rights and they'll be forced to compete with better plans, better service and better technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urkel View Post
    The real enemies in this industry are the carriers. Right now they are relying on exclusivity deals in order to grab customers and that is why we should be rooting for every phone platform on every carrier. Take away their exclusivity bragging rights and they'll be forced to compete with better plans, better service and better technology.
    I agree with you on this. There is a big enough market for all phones and at somepoint all phones become prettey equal services, the market leads the phone vendors to what they need to do. Apple came out with the apple store and now every phone vendor has an app store. The differences between these is simply carrier choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    For my usage, two smartphones with data on Sprint and AT&T cost about the same.

Speaking as a developer, I find the Pre's SDK to be very limiting. More so than Apple's. That's beside the point though because most developers care more about the size of their potential user base.