Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Ed Colligan Steps down after 16 years at Palm. Jon Rubinstein appointed new CEO of Palm.

from Dow Jones New Wire
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I did think Ed had been quiet since the original announcement of the Pre.
    i am not sure I like it, Jon is great in producing the Pre

but I don't like apple style management and deceptive marketing and RDF coming to palm, lets hope not.
    Jon Rubinstein Appointed CEO of Palm
    Ed Colligan Steps Down After Sixteen Years of Palm Leadership

Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq: PALM) today announced that its board of directors has appointed Jon Rubinstein to lead the company as Chairman and CEO upon the departure of Ed Colligan, who is stepping down after sixteen years of leadership at the company. Rubinstein, who joined Palm as Executive Chairman in October 2007 to help bring innovation back to the company, assumes his role as CEO on June 12. Colligan plans to take some time off, then join Elevation Partners.

"I am very excited about taking on this expanded role at Palm," said Rubinstein. "Ed and I have worked very hard together the past two years, and I'm grateful to him for everything he's done to help set the company up for success. With Palm webOS we have ten-plus years of innovation ahead of us, and the Palm Pre is already one of the year's hottest new products. Due in no small part to Ed's courageous leadership, we're in great shape to get Palm back to continuous growth, and we plan to keep the trajectory going upward."

"I'm very proud of what Palm has accomplished so far," said Colligan. "We pioneered two major product categories and I believe we are on our way to defining the standard for the mobile web. I'm extremely proud of our team, and grateful to have played a role in turning Palm around. I know that Jon, the Board and the Palm executive team will do an incredible job driving Palm to new heights."
    I'm sure Rubinstein will make a worthy successor, I just hope that there isn't too much management shakeup due to Colligan's departure, I hope that Rubinstein can find talent as well as Colligan did, and I hope that Rubinstein doesn't bring over a continued ultra-secret mentality that Jobs maintained at Apple. It's worth it in places, but in the end it just gets you into trouble, look at the PreDevCamp fiasco.
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    I am not a very big fan of Colligan, especially with some of the BS that happened during his time: 650, 7xx. I hope that with Jon, the company continues on it's current path of success into the future!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    The final domino has fallen. The old guard has been on the way out of Palm for some time. It's an Apple offshoot now. Silicon Valley is full of them
    So ends the Colligan era... the hapless wonder....

Good riddance. This should have happened a loooonnnggg time ago, like just after palm purchased handspring!!!
    Last edited by treobk214; 06/10/2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Rumor is that Rubenstein was running the show for the last few months anyway. 16 years is way too long for the same CEO to be managing a tech company.
    Quote Originally Posted by northside View Post
    Rumor is that Rubenstein was running the show for the last few months anyway. 16 years is way too long for the same CEO to be managing a tech company.
    Yes, support for PalmOS has already pretty much ended but I do wonder how much longer the Centro will be around.
    I'm sure the last of the centro stock is just being pushed out the door.

Full investment into WebOS (MAYBE WinMo) is a go.

Once the Palm Eos is out, they'll have the centro like device for the cheaper smartphone.