1.    #1  
    Palm needs to start making consumers aware of the Pre because Apple has stirred up the crowd with its $99 8GB iPhone. Pre has 8GB for $199...which would you choose?

Take a look at this vid:
    Videos On Stock Market & Wall Street News, Trading & Investing News & Market Analysis Videos | TheStreet.com

Ok, to cover the subject in hand - Palm's $tupidity.....

- should have never given Sprint exclusive rights to Pre no matter how much $$$ they paid them. Palm could make more $$$ in the long run by offering to all cell providers at launch

- webOS should be backwards compatible with Palm OS or have a 3rd party app to emulate at launch

- Palm will probably trickle down new tweaks/enhancements & call it ver 2.0 like Apple did....LAME!

- should have had a Palm store in place at launch similar to Apple

- why isn't the Touchstone charger included???
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dlstang View Post
    Palm needs to start making consumers aware of the Pre because Apple has stirred up the crowd with its $99 8GB iPhone. Pre has 8GB for $199...which would you choose?
    The price of the device is only part of the equation, you have add on the monthly carrier costs and see over 12 or 24 months which looks the better deal
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    The price of the device is only part of the equation, you have add on the monthly carrier costs and see over 12 or 24 months which looks the better deal
    Good point!
    - Treo often imitated; never duplicated!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Just to follow up on some of your other points :-

- should have never given Sprint exclusive rights to Pre no matter how much $$$ they paid them. Palm could make more $$$ in the long run by offering to all cell providers at launch
    Before the Pre Palm's image wasn't too great so I'm sure when they approached the other carriers about their brilliant new phone they were sent away. Sprint took a gamble that it would be as good as Palm were making out and it seems to have paid off. Now that the others have seen the finished article they all seem interested in it

- Palm will probably trickle down new tweaks/enhancements & call it ver 2.0 like Apple did....LAME!
    Well they haven't done it yet so it's a bit early to criticise

If you mean the app store, Apple didn't have theirs to well after the lauch of the original iPhone.

Probably because they make more on that than they do on the phone.
    Actually it's more Sprint's stupidity, like I said in another thread. $199 for 8GB out the door is better than $299 for 8GB out the door and then the hassle of the MIR. Some people may balk at $299 for 8GB out the door when they have 32GB at $299 out the door with the other phone.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

Take a look at this vid:
    Videos On Stock Market & Wall Street News, Trading & Investing News & Market Analysis Videos | TheStreet.com
    From what I've seen, Palm has been keeping the public aware of Pre for 6 months! Even before CES they were hyping some "Palm newness" coming and at CES delivered literally the "best of show" performance. Which I'm sure was their goal and translated into automatic media buzz. Even Elevation Partners members have been in the media hyping Pre. Palm has sent me I don't know how many e-mails about it. I don't even want a Pre and I feel Palm has flooded the air with hype about Pre.

I feel Palm has hyped Pre like crazy, like a company that was neck deep and about to go under, tossing the last thing it had out the door before the ship totally sinks and hoping it keeps them afloat!

And then even more of the advertising burden which Palm could not afford would have fell on their shoulders. And one important thing, if Palm "tried" to offer the Pre with all carriers at launch, it does not mean all would have accepted. It probably would have ended up like the Treo Pro launching as unlocked GSM only, no carrier touching it for months and Pre only being available for $550 and likely selling less at launch than the exclusive with Sprint for $199.

- webOS should be backwards compatible with Palm OS or have a 3rd party app to emulate at launch
    Totally agree, it should not be left to 3rd party companies to make webOS compatible with old Palm OS applications.

Assuming they update Pre at all.

I would guess that Palm can't afford to offer it with the Pre in a single package at a price point that would attract enough buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Actually it's more Sprint's stupidity, like I said in another thread. $199 for 8GB out the door is better than $299 for 8GB out the door and then the hassle of the MIR. Some people may balk at $299 for 8GB out the door when they have 32GB at $299 out the door with the other phone.
    I think the OP mentioned that $99 for 8GB out the door is more attractive. New customers may not consider how much more expensive AT&T is in monthly fees.

But I got a large mailer from Sprint that hypes Pre on multiple pages. Sprint has been promoting Pre on their web site since January and I've seen TV and print ads with Pre. But I agree that Sprint could have done more.

Edit: Love that impersonation of the Sprint store employee!
    Last edited by darnell; 06/10/2009 at 08:51 AM.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Palm will be opening up the phone to other carriers in a few months. I know Verizon will be getting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell View Post

Edit: Love that impersonation of the Sprint store employee!
    I agree with this kid. He makes great points. I always thought that palm commercial was bizarre and pointless. All that money spent for positively no good reason. It served no purpose.
    The iphone commercial IS very effective and beautifully succinct. That's why it reached more people.

palm reached.... maybe a few buddhists with theirs..... pfft.
    Quote Originally Posted by reitap View Post
    Palm will be opening up the phone to other carriers in a few months. I know Verizon will be getting it.
    They certainly WILL!!! Lol.
    Wink, wink. Look for expansion slot for 32 gigabytes of extra memory storage, larger keyboard and rounded edges - no ridiculously sharp, knife edges......

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Based on what
    You do? How?

Verizon never said they're getting the Pre. They said they will have "phones like the Pre." Which is about as clear as mud. And Sprint has said their exclusive is for more than 6 months. So I think it very unlikely you'll see the Pre anywhere else in a "few" months.

And to the OP: I think if they had not given Sprint the exclusive, you wouldn't see the pre in existence today. Sprint has, in the past, helped subsidize Palm devices, and they're paying for almost all of the advertising for the Pre, neither of which would have been likely without an exclusive.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Who cares how many gigs has? Thats not the only deciding factor here.
    The pre is designed to keep different sources of data integrated into the phone in different places and keep you productive as well as entertained. Its not just about how many gigs of music you can store on it. This is a smartphone here not a mediaphone. Making buttloads of cash isn't always #1 priority. How about making a good product that enriches peoples lives while keeping your company in a healthy state? Not this stupid "iPhone Killer" catch phrase crap the blogs and media spout.

There are people who do this kind of thing for a living working on the plan for marketing and promoting the phone. I don't know why someone on a web forum thinks they know how to market a multi-million dollar ad campaign better than people who do it every day.
  14. ame
    Global Posts
    2,714 Global Posts
    I won't own and iPhone til it's on Sprint and till it's not lame. I am all Mac other than this phone, I was underwhelmed to put it mildly. But I will *NEVER* be with ATT for ANY service, mobile or otherwise. So til it's off ATT it doens't matter if the iPhone is free, I won't have it.
    Verizon (and others) will not have the Pre till 2010 at the earliest.

Sprint: Pre on Verizon in six months? Nope. : Boy Genius Report

The exclusivity deal with Sprint goes till the end of this year. The only thing other carriers might get before 2010 is something like Palm Eos / Pixie (Castle) .
    A 1976 Chevelle has a V-8. A 2009 Porsche 911 has a flat-6 and is far more expensive.

Is the Chevelle better because it has a bigger engine and is cheaper? You can't focus on just one feature.

The $199 Pre has multitasking. The $199 iPhone 3Gs won't. Why would anyone ever buy the 3GS? See? Goes both ways.

As I said in another thread, I think the first thing the Joe Average consumer will pickup on is the lack of keyboard on the iPhone. I'd say that's even more apparent to such a consumer than disk space.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    They certainly WILL!!! Lol.
    Wink, wink. Look for expansion slot for 32 gigabytes of extra memory storage, larger keyboard and rounded edges - no ridiculously sharp, knife edges......

Yeah, because the boy at the Best Buy counter told you, right? Have you verified any of his theories?
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    The Pre. I hate Apple products.

Maybe exclusivity is the only way they could get a provider to jump on board with a new product?

Or maybe even DOS too!

Yeah, cause everyone knows 3 comes right after 1!

And that costs how much? Weren't you just complaining about how much the phone costs?

Because it would have cost more money, which they are saving up to make a Palm store. Duh! Weren't you just complaining about how much the phone costs?

Just what do you do for a living anyway?