1.    #1  
    Will these new handspring devices be the blackberry squisher? I'm curious about how these devices will compete with Blackberry for e-mail. What kind of network technology and footprint does the blackberry device have? CDMA? I would expect that these new Treo devices would be GSM devices for lowpower SMS message etc.
    I have gone to a Blackberry device at work. It is the 857. There are basically two networks. Cingular and Motient. Cingular has broader overall geographic coverage (about the same as Palm.net or OmniSky), but poor building penetration. You use the 950 and 957 BB devices with Cingular. Motient has more specific metro coverage and better building penetration. You use the 850 and 857 devices with them. The reason I went with the 857 was that I am about to move from a very large metro area to a smaller town in another state. Motient had coverage there in the smaller town, as well as the large metro areas that I often travel to. Cingular, Palm.net and Omnisky do not even know about my new location. In addition, the GSM network has even smaller coverage areas.

I have 3 different HS devices (Edge, Prism and Deluxe), plus I have had Omnisky and Palm.net (with a Palm VII). I also had the VisorPhone! What a waste of time and money on all of that! I can tell you, based on the past few weeks with the BB, the BB wins hand-down as an e-mail and web browsing device... if for no other reason... coverage. It also has PIM functions... maybe not as robust as Palm... but very adequate. It is also a very slim, elegant form factor.

The other thing that RIM has going for it is the BB has an Enterprise Edition that is used for communications with MS Exchange and Lotus Domino/Notes behind corporate firewalls via the Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES). It automatically filters and routes your mail to you and the BB signals you when you have mail. Try doing that with Treo.

So, bottom line... I don't see Treo displacing BB anytime, soon.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info, I know that HS must be agressively trying to get some of RIMM market with the Treo device, but looks like their work is cut out for them, especially as it relates to corporate e-mail. It looks like the direction is to have a desktop forwarding system. Not sure how that works unless your desktop is ON all the time. For me, I travel with my laptop, lotus notes sync to server. I really like the form factor of the treo and am accustomed to the Palm OS but as you mentioned, those that are heavy e-mail uses like the blackberry devices. I think that RIMM has also been working on trying to get phone support for their devices. It is going to be interesting in 2002 how all of this shakes out.
    I think the Treo's main competition is going to be from cellular phone manufacturers. I think HS is trying to get a leg up on that market. Some of the new phones coming in from Japan provide many of the same functions. The problem with the cellular phone networks here in the US, in particular, is that they have not settled on a standard protocol and their coverage for data transmission is terrible. RIM is really more aligned with paging devices and the networks they use, which tends to be more extensive. You're right in that 2002 is going to be an interesting year for all this. I'm just getting tired of shelling out $$$ for things that work marginally nationwide in terms of coverage and do not work at all behind corporate firewalls. The RIM BB is the first device I have had that really meets those needs in a form factor that doesn't give me problems. Still have to carry a cell phone... but these things are getting so small... I don't mind that.