Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    After looking at it for a while I thought why doesnt Palm do away with the slider and reshape the Pre as a Candybar phone. Just keep thr touchscreen and add the keyboard below. Push the screen as far up as possible as well as the single button.

I know this would elongate the Palm from 10cm to perhaps 12cm. But Overall it would be for me the killer device.

The Pre is the same width as a BBerr Curve - 60mm but because its keyboard is on a slider its far smaller.

If someone can mock up this image it will show that it could be a the ideal device. Youmight say this is the EOS but the screen on the EOS is square - the screen size on the Pre is just right.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and mine is that is a terrible idea. I think phones with a keyboard exposed are fugly. Besides, isn't the Pixie/Castle or whatever it is called basically your idea already?
    Launch the damn GSM (unlocked) version first.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I think I like the Slider idea.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I was worried about the notion of the slider - given Palm's past quality issues. And I am doubly worried now since the one hands on review from BGR is the materials being described as cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-barnett View Post
    I was worried about the notion of the slider - given Palm's past quality issues. And I am doubly worried now since the one hands on review from BGR is the materials being described as cheap.
    I've used the pre and I'm not concerned about the build quality at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I wished I had more hands... I would give that idea
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    i really don't think that the Pre is going to be a one-off device. What is far more likely is that Palm will use the Pre as a model line, sort of like the Curve or Bold are for Blackberry.

You will probably end up with a three line Palm stable - the Pre, Eos and a full touchscreen device along the lines of an iPhone or HTC Magic.

But I agree with the other posters, the sooner they launch the GSM Pre (worldwide!) the better.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Cheap generally refers to appearance and not usually to durability. Valid point I'm sure. iphone has a tuetonic quality that this pre will not challeng. But I doubt they'll be wearing out or breaking in half if you drop them.
    There's what Palm should do, and what Palm will be able to do given their finances.

What Palm SHOULD do is:

- Release a Pre with a memory configuration identical to the Samsung Omnia...16GB onboard AND a microSD slot. I don't even like microSD slots, but this would be a potent combo against the rest of the market now that the base Pre has launched.
    - Increase the screen size to 3.6 inches or larger.
    - Stop at nothing to get the first Hulu app.
    - Jump on the OLED bandwagon quick.
    - Add Microsoft Live Search and Google Voice functionality into the core WebOS build
    - Seek out partnerships with sports leagues and leverage Sprint partnerships to develop apps equivalent to MLB-at-bat for the iPhone for football, basketball, soccer,...hell, maybe even UFC.

What Palm will be able to do is:

- Release incremental memory upgrades
    - Stick around 3.2-3.1 inches for screen size
    - Maybe get lucky enough to non-exclusively partner with some streaming media company. Maybe.
    - Get OLED after a lot of other phones have it.
    - Spotlight the NFL and NASCAR apps
    I already want one with a bigger screen and maybe a bigger keyboard that is landscape instead with on-screen for portrait mode or something. Also much more storage/expandable storage. plus OLED, & GSM!
  13.    #13  
    For Palm to beat the Iphone the next version has to be out before end of christmas - might sound too early but Palm needs to push Apple Iphone launch dates.
    Why dont we worry about getting the first version out first here over the weekend, finally get it in our hands, play with it, then worry about ver 2 later. jesus...
  15. enjoyingsilence
    In the future, past what we're already getting?

• 4G, with the ability to turn the WiMax radio off, so it doesn't drain battery life, for those not in 4g areas
    • 3G GSM with US 3G frequencies
    • OLED screen, for enhanced battery life
    • 16gb and 32gb flash memory
    • SlingPlayer & Hulu
    • keyboard should be re-designed, the kerning on the keys should be enlarged a weeeee bit.
    • different battery. I'm afraid the Centro battery *may* not be good enough for some people
    • 802.11n
    • VPN
    • WebOS enhancement for local file browser, local file downloads, and the like
    • Better camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    There's what Palm should do, and what Palm will be able to do given their finances.

What Palm SHOULD do is:

- Release a Pre with a memory configuration identical to the Samsung Omnia...16GB onboard AND a microSD slot. I don't even like microSD slots, but this would be a potent combo against the rest of the market now that the base Pre has launched.
    - Increase the screen size to 3.6 inches or larger.
    - Stop at nothing to get the first Hulu app.
    - Jump on the OLED bandwagon quick.
    - Add Microsoft Live Search and Google Voice functionality into the core WebOS build
    - Seek out partnerships with sports leagues and leverage Sprint partnerships to develop apps equivalent to MLB-at-bat for the iPhone for football, basketball, soccer,...hell, maybe even UFC.
    You made some great points I would add though...
    *indicates a feature blackberry already has had for a LONGGG TIME

-better battery life*
    -better contacts management, synergy is great and all but adding all my AIM screen names just because i signed into aim is DUMBB
    -better search functionality, i should be able to search anything and everything on my phone*
    -better access to the root of the phone for developers*
    -more copy and paste in other areas of the phone, ie browser and received text messages*
    -OLED touch screen (as person above said)
    -microSD card slot* (as person above said
    -increased screen size
    -ability to have browser add ons (firefox esque sort of thing, so people can sync bookmarks, etc)

thats all. those are the reasons why i'm getting a new blackberry to replace my curve that can do all those things and not the PRE. The only thing the PRE gives me is a bigger screen, worse battery life, and a nicer browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripple_sinner View Post
    Why dont we worry about getting the first version out first here over the weekend, finally get it in our hands, play with it, then worry about ver 2 later. jesus...
    Dude, lighten up. If you're not interested in the subject of the thread then simply don't participate.
    ^^ +1 ^^

Well, we can easily see Palm's main advantage over Apple, which all the other phone companies share, and this is that it doesn't have to release its phones on a yearly basis. With iPhone sales, they start strong and weaken as the year goes along. With Palm, however, they can launch the Pre to strong sales, then in 6 months (or so...) they can launch the Eos, and a few months later they can launch a full touchscreen model as I described earlier.

Also, I think they'll not wait a huge amount of time before they up the amount of flash storage in the Pre. I reckon it'll be in time for the holiday season 2009, so they can announce a brand new Pre, even though it won't be.
    UK boy born and bred, usually proud of this, but rueing the fact that I won't be able to get my greasy mitts on one of these for months longer...
    The current 'CDMA smartphone trend' seems to be CDMA-GSM world phones. The Pre is weak in this area and if Palm would like to move into the high end consumer and business markets they need this functionality.

More memory is a given and will come with time. Software upgrades like streaming video apps and sports programs will not require new hardware. Look for Palm to follow a very Apple like policy with regards to software updates and improvements.
    If they kept the Pre's screen size, without a slideout keyboard AND the little pearly button above the keyboard, the thing would be as tall as Abe Lincoln...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast