Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I honestly believe the keyboard is fine the way it is. But it would be interesting if "after the keyboard sliding out, it could be twisted/pushed to the left and have the keyboard vertical while the screen horizontal."

This could then maybe enable more horizontal screens for different applications. I don't know, just a thought.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shado.F View Post
    I honestly believe the keyboard is fine the way it is. But it would be interesting if "after the keyboard sliding out, it could be twisted/pushed to the left and have the keyboard vertical while the screen horizontal."

This could then maybe enable more horizontal screens for different applications. I don't know, just a thought.
    If they can't get a simple slider working right now, imagine how well they would pull off the slide and swivel.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    If they can't get a simple slider working right now, imagine how well they would pull off the slide and swivel.
    Lmao, good point there.
    Idk how they'd work it in but I want a bigger screen on the next gen. Plus an OLED screen,which would help with the terrible battery life.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by calsccr9 View Post
    Idk how they'd work it in but I want a bigger screen on the next gen. Plus an OLED screen,which would help with the terrible battery life.
    In time my friend. I believe all TVs and phones will be using OLED. With the bigger screen suggestion, it all depends on the team that designs next Pre.
    I want the palm stuff back as well!!!!
    why do they need to come out with a new phone with the over the air updates? help me understand.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpitre001 View Post
    why do they need to come out with a new phone with the over the air updates? help me understand.
    If you mean, "Why can't the old Palm OS phones do OTA updates?", then I really don't know.

I think I remember a friend of mine with the Samsung i500 (Palm OS 4 device) had sprint do an OTA update, once.

Anyone have any idea if the Palm OS 5 had an API for OTA updates? Between Palm and ACCESS, Garnet was never really finished. Maybe the "promise" of OTA updates would have been fulfilled in Cobalt. It's all ancient history now. Onward and upward.

Andre
    Last edited by pvman; 10/27/2009 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Did really answer the whole question, originally.
    Global Posts
    208 Global Posts
    I'd like Video Recording at launch next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wmp.dll View Post
    I'd like Video Recording at launch next time.
    Palm doesn't need to release a new device for that: ht tp://ww w.youtube.c om/watc h?v=zaN_xaSvcs0 minus the spaces
    Def a micro sd expasion slot and also the phone can slide up horizontal...
    Not having read through all the threads, I have to say that I actually do like the keyboard. I went from a treo 650 to a windows mobile device with a wide keyboard and I will state the obvious - it is much slower for me to type. I cannot move my thumbs around that fast on a wide keyboard. The smaller keyboard, like the 650, was much better for me to type quickly. (and I do have very large fingers)

My suggestion to Palm is aside from making the screen bigger and adding an SD slot is to of course fix the camera. Now, I'm not talking video camera - I know that can happen with the hardware provided as we've seen it on youtube. What I am referring to is to increase the megapixels as the OMAP processor is very capable of handling much larger picture/movie sizes. Last I checked, the Samsung Omnia HD (European version running Symbian) has the same OMAP processor and is capable of not only taking 8 megapixel camera shots, but also 720p recording and playback! Oddly enough, they threw the horrible windows mobile on it in the US, slapped a label of the Omnia II and reduced the pixel quality to just 5. This would be my first major hardware upgrade suggestion for Palm....

The second suggestion is of course to add an even faster processor, so sluggishness on some screens aren't apparent anymore.
    No need for a faster processor!! Don't want anymore battery drain and heat! The processor is fast enough to do all the work of the graphics processor! Just get the graphics drivers out, already! When they do that, the Pre will be faster than the 3Gs.

No need to upgrade the camera. It's great as it is. Don't think a cell phone camera could get much better quality than the Pre. The number of megapixels don't actually prove anything... and if you have the same optics, more than likely, megapixels will just pixelate the image after a certain point, and it definitely just wastes space on your 8gb internal memory, which can't be expanded.

Which is why my only two requests for the Palm Post is:

(1) expandable memory (or at leas 32gb of internal)
    (2) compass

The Palm Pre v2, or Post, would be a killer device. Palm did a great job with v1, honestly... and those other two things will come with time. Keep up the good work, Palm!!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    No need for a faster processor!! Don't want anymore battery drain and heat! The processor is fast enough to do all the work of the graphics processor! Just get the graphics drivers out, already! When they do that, the Pre will be faster than the 3Gs.

No need to upgrade the camera. It's great as it is. Don't think a cell phone camera could get much better quality than the Pre. The number of megapixels don't actually prove anything... and if you have the same optics, more than likely, megapixels will just pixelate the image after a certain point, and it definitely just wastes space on your 8gb internal memory, which can't be expanded.

Which is why my only two requests for the Palm Post is:

(1) expandable memory (or at leas 32gb of internal)
    (2) compass

The Palm Pre v2, or Post, would be a killer device. Palm did a great job with v1, honestly... and those other two things will come with time. Keep up the good work, Palm!!
    Well, a faster processor (or more accurately, faster processING) doesn't have to come at the expense of power or heat. We've proven that with PCs and handhelds for over 20 years now. A low power die, improved ciruitry, etc.

Although I don't know enough about digital photography to comment on the "pixel issue", I will agree with you on the memory. After all, my Treo 680 has more memory since I have a 32 GB SD card in it. Expandable memory is a MUST!!!

You mention compass? Why a compass? Doesn't the pre have a GPS radio? I believe Sprint Navigation (a.k.a., TeleNav) is included in the Sprint Everything plan (required with the Pre, I think). Of course, if you just want a compass, on should be able to write "an app for that".
    The compass would be for standing in one spot and moving around a virtual world, like Layar Augmented Reality or the Sky Map in Android.

Those are really the only two things a compass is needed for, and they'd both be "gimmicks" for me. The Sky Map I'd only get to use once or twice a year, because in any urban or suburban area I'm usually at (where I get 3G of course)... will have too much light pollution to actually make use of the Sky Map program. Android's only real benefit over WebOS is the barcode scanner, and that's still technically possible with WebOS... just needs a bit more time to get the hardware APIs released, or a really good hacker - one of the two.

That's why in another thread I actually said that Pre v1.5 would just have internal memory upgrade... and v2.0 would be released in early 2011 with expandable memory AND an OLED screen. The OLED screen will prolly come before the compass to add an hour or so to battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvman View Post
    Well, a faster processor (or more accurately, faster processING) doesn't have to come at the expense of power or heat. We've proven that with PCs and handhelds for over 20 years now. A low power die, improved ciruitry, etc.
    And that's correct, but it'll be very hard to find better processING power than the underclocked OMAP processor in the Pre.... at least in the next year or two -- prolly two.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    What is this I hear about the current Pre not being able to tether? Is that accurate?

If so, that definitely needs to be in a v2.
    Well... everybody knows about My Tether don't they?
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I do now. But I have to pay for something that the device should do inherently? I would think DUN would be in just about every cellular device, theses days.
    I just ordered my Pre this evening, so it prolly won't be here until Thursday.

However, I did some light skimming of the MyTether thread(s), and it looks like the older free version is still compatible with the newest versions of WebOS. Some actions of the MyTether developer make it appear as tho he really doesn't want "donations". I will probly be buying $20 of apps a month whenever I get the phone. I saw a $5 app to learn how to tie knots. Probly not worth it, but I think I'll be able to fit it in my monthly spending limit. It'll be more effective than a $15 book on tying knots that I'll never bother to open, much less have on me at all times.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast