Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I want 16 GB of storage. That's what my iPhone has and I'm ok with that. 32GB might be nice and they probably should given the (probable) next iPhone version.

Screen. OLED is obvious. However I want a higher resolution: 600x400 on the 3.1" screen or 800x480 on a larger WebOS mobile with a 3.5" (I'd be happy with a little larger Pre style model with the screen pushed as close to the edge as possible). The panels are out there in Japan and starting to trickle out elsewhere which means sometime in 2010 they'll be reasonably priced.

Touchstone Sync. Grab Sony's TransferJet technology (it's up for lisencing and is 1-2" range USB speed wireless tech) and stick that into the Pre 2 and WebOS 3.5" screen mobile. That way you wireless charging and sync with only a single cable from the new Touchstone to the computer.

Obviously the standard CPU/RAM upgrade but battery life probably needs the most consideration.

Speed. Palm has to match the yearly pace that Apple has set for flagship phone and OS updates. They can release other models but every year they need a major WebOS update plus new high end phone release.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I miss the clamshell with touchscreen and durable outer casing of my i500.

I wish Palm would make a decent clamshell smartphone with a touchscreen and all the trim.
    They need 2 form factors for different needs:

Current 'classic' form factor with cost effective upgrades that maintains $200 price point
    - improve screen (oled when cost effective)
    - improve battery density
    - increased performance
    - larger flash memroy over time

Power User form factor at $400 price point
    - slightly larger screen (oled)
    - slightly larger keyboard
    - SD slot
    - Wimax
    - larger battery
    - screen twists from keyboard for portrait mode
    - usb 3.0 and usb hosting
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm looking forward to a full touchscreen device. Also, would love one that's primarily a PDA without the phone, similar to iPod Touch. Love the WebOS interface, just don't really need the phone.
    I think Palm is on the right track with the general design of the Pre. Sure, it will evolve slightly over time and get a memory upgrade periodically. Adding an SD card slot would be nice, but for most users not that important.

What Palm needs to do is get jamming on the app store! Court developers, cater to their needs, and make them feel like they're an integral part of the Pre's future. Because they are.
    1) Expandable memory. Duh.
    2) Better keys ala' the Treo 755
    3) INCLUDE the emulator, and make sure it's damn good and stable
    4) BONUS: make the emulator SYNC to a desktop, like a REAL smartphone should.

I'll buy five of them and shackle myself to the Sprint sadists for a couple more years....
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    The slider is a good idea but a compromise. They could alleviate most of the shortcomings by using a scroll wheel/D pad instead of the single button they have below the screen. This would dramatically improve one hand input and navigation and allow programs that use categories and other fields to sort data and then allow the user to navigate there without having to type anything in universal search.

Universal search as a navigation method is best when a dedicated keyboard is always open. If the keyboard is hidden, you need a hardware method (or voice) to ease navigation. Blackberry and Centro have both keyboard and scroller/d-pad. Pre shouldn't have neither, but at least one.
    Quote Originally Posted by xopher View Post
    I miss the clamshell with touchscreen and durable outer casing of my i500.

I wish Palm would make a decent clamshell smartphone with a touchscreen and all the trim.
    Hey, you are practically talking about my 6 years old "perfect SmartPhone" concept ;-)
    Vantage Technology Magazine - Best Buy guide, Computers
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Checked out the Pre at Radio Shack this weekend, and it really is a nice device. I like
    the size, but wouldn't mind a slightly bigger device.

I agree with Xenophonite about a 2nd form factor that may be slightly larger. I'd
    be willing to pay a premium for:

- Unlocked GSM version
    - More memory: 32GB ideal, 16GB or microSD minimum
    - Larger Battery
    - Apps, Apps, Apps....
    - DRM music support (Rhapsody, etc)
    - Sirius Satellite Radio (online listening)
    - Netflix Instant Play
    - Pockettunes & Kinoma Play!!

But after playing with Pre, I really do have to say "Nice Job Palm", can't wait to see more!
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Launch the damn GSM (unlocked) version first.
    I agree with Greenhex, we need a GSM version
    I also would like two or more version because I want one with a larger screen and better screen and horizontal keyboard. Also more storage if it's not going to be expandable. I want it to be GSM and have some type of real mobile video capability because Sprint TV is not even close to cutting it.
    For some reason the Width/Length ratio of Most smart phones are 0.625 or less. Changing the size from 2.3 X 3.9 to 2.7 X 4.3 would make a big difference... hey it might even be thinner. the screen, keyboard and battery would be bigger. I am not sure about the wimax, sd slot and the screen twist. I know it is better then the centro.

I think a centro with web os is lazy. I think the pre should replace the centro. Landscape keyboard is ok BUT I am not sure how it would work

Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    They need 2 form factors for different needs:

Current 'classic' form factor with cost effective upgrades that maintains $200 price point
    - improve screen (oled when cost effective)
    - improve battery density
    - increased performance
    - larger flash memroy over time

Power User form factor at $400 price point
    - slightly larger screen (oled)
    - slightly larger keyboard
    - SD slot
    - Wimax
    - larger battery
    - screen twists from keyboard for portrait mode
    - usb 3.0 and usb hosting
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I would love to see a phone that has a horizontal slide out keyboard like the touch pro. Oh and better battery life.
    Overall I'm happy with the design of the Palm Pre's hardware with only a few minor things I would say they should have thought throw a bit more.

1. The USB port if a really bad idea. How long for the little cover is broken off, I'm guessing a month.

2. A docking port located at the bottom of the device. While I understand Palm with WebOS is embracing cloud computing and syncing of information. However, to complete against the iPhone which is is clearly trying to do. They need to consider 3rd party devices, like speaker systems just as one example.

3. I do hope more storage is included in the future models, 8gb is just not enough for me.

4. Lastly on my list for now, I hope follows Apple's lead on release regular OS upgrades and not allow the carriers to delay upgrades in some cases for 9 month before reaching the consumer.
    Corey

Current Devices: Palm Pre 2, HTC Thunderbolt, Motorola Atrix, Samsung Focus and Apple's iPhone 4
    I too hope Palm handles the OS updates and not the individual carriers. When the GSM version comes out, will AT&T put their own "special" brand of firmware on it? Oy, I hope not!

Remember, the iPhone started as 4 GB and 8GB models. You can bet dollars to donuts that the next Pre will be a 16 GB model. That's how the manufacturers do it now. Start 'em small and expand so folks feel the need to upgrade. Sure has worked for Apple so far.

I would love a docking port so a stand could handle charging and connecting to the computer, all in one simple no-plugin module. Unfortunately I doubt this will happen. Touchstone gives users the ($70) option to charge up this way. It's a great feature and something I loved with my BlackBerry Bold. The stand-up charging stand makes simply grabbing a fully charged BlackBerry and running out the door very simple. No cables to disconnect. It's a minor thing, but when you get used to it you realize what a convenience it is.
    Verizon
  16. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Build one to military specification for dust and shock vibration. Rubberized skin is preferred over plastic.

My only beef is how well the PRE is going to hold up over time. Coming from a Nextel i335 (great non-smart phone) it's hard to get used to being careful with a phone again.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Let's get over the perfectly obvious, say GSM and more storage.

Those are not questions of "what" or "should", but "when".

With regard to local sync, whether you like it or not, Palm is doing away from it. Those who need this function should look to the 3rd-party solutions like Chapura and Mark/Space doing it via Wi-Fi.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    4" screen 16:9 ratio
    MicroSD card slot under the battery cover (not BB curve style under the battery though) like the "Rant" has.
    Tethering!
    Brighter screen for outdoor viewing. Wife's BB curve is perfectly viewable outside.
    Solve the battery issue ala "Citizen EcoDrive" watches.
    Switch the keyboard to landscape slider and include more typical keyboard symbols, for those of us that use special characters in passwords.
    -4g or wimax, whatever it is, something that supports both Talk and DATA (aside from using wifi I mean)
    -Increase the width of the device a bit, so that the keyboard can be spaced out better. But I can live with it, if its not. I love the size of the device now.
    -Better Battery Life
    -For the center button, how bout making it a trackball?
    -Uh..a scrollbar for the Pre's web browser would be nice.
    -for the Pre Web Browser, how bout two on screen buttons that go to "Top" or "Bottom" of the website
    -Micro SD would be sweet, but I doubt that'll happen.
    -Universal search EVERYTHING on the device
    -Also with the universal search, how bout the ability to add your own search engines (similar to firefox)
    -Faster WebOS. The start up time for the apps seem a bit sluggish. Sometimes, I hate to say, the Pre can be a bit sluggish, but nothing like windows mobile thankfully.
    -Someone mentioned Touchtone Sync, now THAT would be sweet.
    -I actually love the vertical slider the Pre's got, to me it stands out from other phones, I hope they keep that.
    -4g or wimax, whatever it is, something that supports both Talk and DATA (aside from using wifi I mean)
    -Increase the width of the device a bit, so that the keyboard can be spaced out better. But I can live with it, if its not. I love the size of the device now.
    -Better Battery Life
    -For the center button, how bout making it a trackball?
    -Uh..a scrollbar for the Pre's web browser would be nice.
    -for the Pre Web Browser, how bout two on screen buttons that go to "Top" or "Bottom" of the website
    -Micro SD would be sweet, but I doubt that'll happen.
    -Universal search EVERYTHING on the device
    -Also with the universal search, how bout the ability to add your own search engines (similar to firefox)
    -Faster WebOS. The start up time for the apps seem a bit sluggish. Sometimes, I hate to say, the Pre can be a bit sluggish, but nothing like windows mobile thankfully.
    -Someone mentioned Touchtone Sync, now THAT would be sweet.
    -I actually love the vertical slider the Pre's got, to me it stands out from other phones, I hope they keep that.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast