1.    #1  
    What's up with everyone dropping support for tasks? It's like it's an afterthought. I've always viewed the To Do list as one of the main 3 cornerstones of PIM (calendar and contacts being the other two). Ever since the iPhone came out, it's like all of these companies forget that tasks even exist. No, the calendar appointment is not the same thing. No, I don't want to just write down a note on the phone somewhere. I want a REAL tasks program. With the ability to set a start and end date; schedule recurring tasks; native syncing with MS Exchange or other online systems. Why is this so hard? Windows Mobile still gets this right at least, but even WM6.5 and beyond are beginning to forget about tasks (for example, there is no native Tasks panel in the new WM6.5 panel interface). HTC TF3D2 doesn't have a pane for Tasks. Why not? WHY?

It's things like this that keep me with Windows Mobile. Sure, it's not the prettiest OS or the fastest, but it does EVERYTHING i need without compromise.
    I was big in to tasks bunches of whiles back. After a while though, tasks became one of those things I no longer had interest in and just called 'em appointments that were slated to start all at the same time and with no alarm. Bunches of 3rd party applications in the WM world do support tasks, so maybe it is not a big deal.
    I agree that tasks seem to be neglected, even in WM.

WM's implementation of tasks is light years behind the old Palm OS's method.

I still cannot understand how they decided that recurring alarms for overdue tasks were not important. On the Palm OS, if I have a task due at 3PM on the 6th, it would activate the alarm for that task on the 6th and every day after the 6th at 3 PM until the task was marked complete. This was so effective in actually getting me to complete my tasks. On WM, if it's overdue, it's forgotten, so I have to go fishing for my overdue tasks manually. No 3rd party apps fix this issue AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I was big in to tasks bunches of whiles back. After a while though, tasks became one of those things I no longer had interest in and just called 'em appointments that were slated to start all at the same time and with no alarm. Bunches of 3rd party applications in the WM world do support tasks, so maybe it is not a big deal.
    I'm not really talking about WM because it seems that WM still supports it a good deal, but Android and the iPhone, and even webOS to a degree, don't have the same strong Tasks support as WM or the old POS. Using the Calendar, IMO, is a half-baked idea because what happens when I'm past that date in the calendar? I mainly use it for recurring bills, but a lot of small things that I remember that I have to do throughout the day or the week. Tasks are simple and easy to use and implement, so why look over this feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    I agree that tasks seem to be neglected, even in WM.

WM's implementation of tasks is light years behind the old Palm OS's method.

I still cannot understand how they decided that recurring alarms for overdue tasks were not important. On the Palm OS, if I have a task due at 3PM on the 6th, it would activate the alarm for that task on the 6th and every day after the 6th at 3 PM until the task was marked complete. This was so effective in actually getting me to complete my tasks. On WM, if it's overdue, it's forgotten, so I have to go fishing for my overdue tasks manually. No 3rd party apps fix this issue AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    I don't actually have an issue with the recurring alarms as I use PocketBreeze and I have overdue tasks show up in a bold RED on today's date. Works well and ensures that I complete the task as I hate looking at a long list of tasks on my Today Screen so I naturally stop being lazy and do what it is I need to do
    I thought you were gonna say your big issue was that you were a smartphone addict, like me

Anyway, tasks.. well, the only thing I use tasks for is for notes. For example I have a "To invoice" task, which I just jot down jobs that I need to bill for.

Any other task that needs doing I just put in as an appointment. The only problem with that is that once the date/time has passed, it disappears off the radar, or it does on my Symbian phones and everything else I use other than Outlook anyway.
    OH, do I ever agree with you! Make a cell phone and concentrate on email, what the heck happened to the PHONE! need communication history, tasks, email, ims, calander, Microsoft business manager forgot about letters (to funny). the kids getting out of college only want to email, the art of communication and realtionship building is being lost. I will not let them use email until they get their thinking turned around. IF you use outlook try business manager for outlook, tasks there work well.
    Now tha I am on my soap box, Email, Ims, Letters are all forms of communication that SHOULD SUPPORT, face to face conversation, OR the telephone.
    YOU need a record of those converstaions (phone), notes on a meeting, emails, tasks, etc. Do not undersand how a business functions without records and a lot of good they do you if you can not get them out of your phone, I guess you just give your atty your phone and if have multipule people contacting same client, you can give them multipule phones!
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    What's up with everyone dropping support for tasks? It's like it's an afterthought. I've always viewed the To Do list as one of the main 3 cornerstones of PIM (calendar and contacts being the other two). Ever since the iPhone came out, it's like all of these companies forget that tasks even exist. No, the calendar appointment is not the same thing. No, I don't want to just write down a note on the phone somewhere. I want a REAL tasks program. With the ability to set a start and end date; schedule recurring tasks; native syncing with MS Exchange or other online systems. Why is this so hard? Windows Mobile still gets this right at least, but even WM6.5 and beyond are beginning to forget about tasks (for example, there is no native Tasks panel in the new WM6.5 panel interface). HTC TF3D2 doesn't have a pane for Tasks. Why not? WHY?

It's things like this that keep me with Windows Mobile. Sure, it's not the prettiest OS or the fastest, but it does EVERYTHING i need without compromise.
    On the iPhone there's many many 3rd party 'ToDo' apps in the AppStore. Some free, some not. The one I use cost $3 and syncs with Toodledo.com and the app itself is called Toodledo. Its got features and customizations up the whazoo. Recurring tasks, priorites, categories, folders, Hotlists, badge customization...etc. On top of that, Toodledo.com will sync with OTHER people's ToDo apps as well if those apps are setup to sync with Toodledo.com so you're not limited to that one app on your iPhone. Methinks they'll get around to making Android and WebOS versions of the app eventually too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I find myself using tasks more and more as I get older (and possible more forgetful). The problem with all those 3rd Party solutions is they don't integrate with the Calendar. I like the day view on my calendar to show me what appointments and tasks I have at a glance first thing in the morning.