1.    #1  
    Has anyone in the States ever traveled to Europe and gotten a prepaid sim card to use for voice and data? I'm going to be on a 2 week vacation in Europe (going to visit Amsterdam, Munich, Paris, Zurich, and Venice) but I need to have access to the internet. I know that internet cafes exist in most of these towns, but I really would like internet access on the trains when I'm traveling not only for planning purposes, but also for my job as an online teacher. What sort of options do I have? I know I can buy prepaid sims, but can i get one that works all over europe and aren't restricted to just one country? Where are some good websites I can use to read more about this? Thanks everyone.
    Lots of people have done this. Easiest thing to do would be to order a SIM from Low-cost Europe cell phones and European SIM cards. In may be cheaper to buy a pre-paid SIM in every country though.
  3.    #3  
    I see...now, I'm not really concerned about anything besides Data really - I don't need voice or SMS, are there bundled Data packages that give me X amount of data for a certain period of time?
    If you only want data, it might be simpler just to add global data roaming to your plan for a month.
  5.    #5  
    Well, 50mb of data is $60/month on AT&T for international roaming...I just don't want to blow through that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Well, 50mb of data is $60/month on AT&T for international roaming...I just don't want to blow through that.
    It may be your cheapest option. You are visiting 5 countries so will either need 5 SIMs with dataplans or some kind of international data roaming plan. I am not sure why you need so much data though, 50GB is normally plenty for 2 weeks of emails and some google maps or web browsing.

If you are going to be needing that much data, call in europe is probably not your best option.
  7.    #7  
    50mb, not 50GB Grant. I'll be tethering to a netbook to do online teaching - I'm not exactly sure how much data the online class uses...of course, I will still have access to internet cafes and use those when I'm in a city, but wanted something for the many train rides where we will probably do some routing and such as well.

You may be right however, that going through AT&T may be my cheapest option.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    50mb, not 50GB Grant. I'll be tethering to a netbook to do online teaching - I'm not exactly sure how much data the online class uses...of course, I will still have access to internet cafes and use those when I'm in a city, but wanted something for the many train rides where we will probably do some routing and such as well.

You may be right however, that going through AT&T may be my cheapest option.
    Sorry, typo in my message. I meant 50mb which is fine for normal smartphone use but could get used up quickly if you are doing heavy duty tethering. Windows will normally tell you how much data you are pulling across a DUN connection and OLAM will certainly track data usage for you. You may be able to find a cheaper option than AT&T in an individual country but if you use that same SIM in another county, it may get very expensive.
  9.    #9  
    I'm thinking that the 50mb option is the best one - combined with the Internet Cafes scattered throughout Europe, I think my needs will be met. Thanks for the info ADGrant.
    CDMA isn't global and does't use a SIM. You are not talking about using a pre right? (unless you have a canadian GSM phone)