Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Could the palm pre ever be a 4G phone with a simple software upgrade or is the actual hardware that would need to be changed?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    Could the palm pre ever be a 4G phone with a simple software upgrade or is the actual hardware that would need to be changed?
    as of right now, it would actually have to be a hardware change. They would have to put a 4g radio in the phone.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    sorry mate, you can't just turn a 3g chip into a 4g chip by changing the software.

it's like saying "hey, I've got this 10 year old pc in the basement, it's too slow to work on, but if I put windows vista on it it will be fast!!". doesn't work that way. ok, so maybe vista is not the best example but you get my point.
  4.    #4  
    i just didn't know if the pre was already wired as a 4G phone running on 3G so to speak. Just how some computers have hardware already in place so that features can be used a later date.
    Since Sprint has been advertising it with their 4G network, my guess is that it is a 4G phone, and will run just fine on a 3G network (or slower), just like current phones run on 3G and slower. Downward compatability is easier to achieve than upward. It will most likely show a 4G symbol when it is on a 4G, etc, etc.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  6. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    If there was a 4g radio on the phone, we would know based on the FCC filings.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Since Sprint has been advertising it with their 4G network, my guess is that it is a 4G phone, and will run just fine on a 3G network (or slower), just like current phones run on 3G and slower. Downward compatability is easier to achieve than upward. It will most likely show a 4G symbol when it is on a 4G, etc, etc.

The Pre does NOT have a 4g radio. No 4g access.
    If they ever do add WiMax you will see it as a 4th radio in addition to bluetooth, WiFi, and the 3G radio. Think of it as really long range WiFi.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Store rep at the local Sprint store told me today that the Pre is both 3g and 4g capable. Truth? Who knows?
    “Wolves are the top of the food chain, and when the wolf population is healthy, all other animal and plant populations are healthy.” -- Lois Tulleners
    I'd wager the next Pre will have it. But even if the current Pre had a WiMAX chip in it you wouldn't likely be able to use it as the coverage is limited right now. You'll start to see 4G phones come out next year.

I haven't played with a EVDO Rev. A phone yet but I'm sure it will be plenty fast and if not you always have WiFi!
    Stop spreading such blatant disinformation; the phone is 3G EvDo Rev A.

It's already sent off to the FCC, and it's already been scrutinized. It is not WiMAX. Pretty much end of story.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'm not saying I know anything about the Pre's potential in this, but I remember not long ago, Cradlepoint released a firmware patch to upgrade their EXISTING products out in the wild to 4G compatible. Either Cradlepoint had the fore thought to put the radios in their routers, or this is in fact possible with a patch!?!?!?!?!?

CradlePoint bringing WiMAX to existing fleet of portable routers
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre View Post
    I'm not saying I know anything about the Pre's potential in this, but I remember not long ago, Cradlepoint released a firmware patch to upgrade their EXISTING products out in the wild to 4G compatible. Either Cradlepoint had the fore thought to put the radios in their routers, or this is in fact possible with a patch!?!?!?!?!?

CradlePoint bringing WiMAX to existing fleet of portable routers
    Maybe the Pre will be compatible with a 4G network but the internal 3G radio will only be able to do 3G speeds.

Does anyone have a link to the FCC filings? I thought this could have been an Ace up their sleeve, though probably not very useful and therefore waste of money - which they are short on.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Sorry for the double post but never mind: FCC Pre

Request for confidentiality letter

Does anyone know what frequency 4G is?

I saw "SAR Dipole 2450 MHz" is it related to the phone aerial?
    Last edited by brum; 05/23/2009 at 10:23 PM.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Sprint's Wimax is in the 2.5GHz spectrum. I believe the 2.45 is for Wifi.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    How do you know that the Pre does not have a 4g radio? What do you mean by no 4G access? It is possible for a higher speed device to run at a slower speed. If it wasn't, none of our current 3G phones would work on a non-3G network. Picture driving your Corvette around the streets at the speed limit. Give it a place where it can open it up, and you'll see lots of speed. Same with any 4g phone.
    WiMax isn't based off the same technology as Sprint's 3G (EVDO). It's a completely different design, which requires a separate radio.

We won't see WiMax in this Pre, maybe the next.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    WiMax isn't based off the same technology as Sprint's 3G (EVDO). It's a completely different design, which requires a separate radio.

I'm aware of WiMax technology. We currently have it in Portland, all over the city. FWIW, their broadcast stations excede allowable FCC exposure limits, and it's posted all over them.

Newly-dubbed "Clear" WiMAX service hits Portland, Oregon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

You won't see it in the next either, since the 4G network isn't going to get built. That mishmash of ownership by clearwire is not going to be able to deploy the network. They don't have enough money.

All this 4G talk by Sprint is BS...
    It's in philly too. Whoopidee doo...

If you go through the FCC reports there was no testing of a Wimax radio. You have the cellular and PCS bands as well as the Wifi/BT band (they share the same antenna). No testing of anything in the 2.5ghz realm. No mention of Wimax. It's not a 4g phone. The confidentiality mention ended when the info was released on the 20th that made all the testing info public.

The device is even listed as
    CDMA/1x, EVDO Rel 0, EVDO Rev. A with 802.11b/g and Bluetooth Phone.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    It's in philly too. Whoopidee doo...

If you go through the FCC reports there was no testing of a Wimax radio. You have the cellular and PCS bands as well as the Wifi/BT band (they share the same antenna). No testing of anything in the 2.5ghz realm. No mention of Wimax. It's not a 4g phone. The confidentiality mention ended when the info was released on the 20th that made all the testing info public.

The device is even listed as
    Read the documents again. There is testing that takes place in the 2.4 to 2.483ghz range. It is mentioned in the SAR test report.

WiMax is a trademark/commercial name, not something that would be used in a legal government document.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast