Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 93
  1. #61  
    I don't think that 4G will make sense in handheld devices for some time to come. Currently, this technology just consumes too much power.

    What is nice to know (and a smart decision by Palm) is that the radio/modem/baseband stuff is modularized into a plugin card (analogous to mini-pci on routers/laptops). This means that WiMax/4G isn't out of the question if technology improves. More importantly it means that switching to a GSM network is just a matter of changing this "card".

    - crankin
  2. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by crankin_rankin View Post
    I don't think that 4G will make sense in handheld devices for some time to come. Currently, this technology just consumes too much power.

    What is nice to know (and a smart decision by Palm) is that the radio/modem/baseband stuff is modularized into a plugin card (analogous to mini-pci on routers/laptops). This means that WiMax/4G isn't out of the question if technology improves. More importantly it means that switching to a GSM network is just a matter of changing this "card".

    - crankin

    that's neat.

    Probably be how they make the GSM version. But personally I would think there would be newer phones from palm- a Pre2 or something, before there are 4G phones anyway. Right now 4G is basically about laptop cards and the like.
  3. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #63  
    just saw this-

    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Several months ago I saw the local planning commission on TV addressing an application from Clear Wire for a cell tower.

    Sprint recently announced 4G here in Vegas next month.

    If I were the local cable company, I'd be nervous.
    no reason for cable to be nervous- they along with intel and sprint and others (google too I seem to recall) all invested.

    I'm not that knowledgable but i get the gist that basically anyone that wasn't verizon or ATT or T-mobile but wanted remain relevant in the communications business in the US invested at some point or another.
  4. #64  
    I just got the 4G USB modem, it's fast... almost as fast as my cable access. but it gets kind of warm to the touch. If the Pre had 4G, they would definitely have to come up with a new power source. talk about eating batteries...
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by fontaine08 View Post
    I just got the 4G USB modem, it's fast... almost as fast as my cable access. but it gets kind of warm to the touch. If the Pre had 4G, they would definitely have to come up with a new power source. talk about eating batteries...
    The standard for mobile devices is a bit different than the non-mobile modems and such. Do you have a fixed antenna or just a card/usb dongle?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6. pvman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    You won't see it in the next either, since the 4G network isn't going to get built. That mishmash of ownership by clearwire is not going to be able to deploy the network. They don't have enough money.

    All this 4G talk by Sprint is BS...
    Didn't Sprint debut 4G in Atlanta this week?
  7. #67  
    It's in quite a few cities. They even have a sweet deal for in home service with a wireless card.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  8. pvman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #68  
    I wonder if an impending 4G Pre is why the price for the current Pre has been dropped to $99. http://shopping.aol.com/articles/200...-price-drop-99
    Is this just a special for Amazon? How much is the Pixie going to be?
    Last edited by pvman; 10/27/2009 at 02:22 AM.
  9. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #69  
    none of us knows But I'd bet a decent buck that there is NO 4G pre imminent.

    likely there's a 16GB version in the works and that might explain the price drop- to set things up like apple to have different models at different price points. See the scuttlebutt in the story about verizon getting an "updated" pre on the front page.
  10. #70  
    I was in my local Sprint store (in Atlanta, near North Point Mall) today. All the Sprint reps had "Ask me about 4G!" stickers stuck to their shirts. I was playing with the Pre while I was waiting, and a nearby couple asked one of the reps about 4G. He told the couple that they expected 4G handsets at the beginning of the year, but claimed not to know specific units when I asked him about whether or not the Palm Pre would be one of those handsets.

    So, no answers on the Pre and 4G, but at least I learned more than I knew before about 4G.
  11. afazel's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    #71  
    I had a Sprint rep tell me the Pre will be able to do 4G also. I tried to explain about radios to him, but he was insistent.

    Someone out there is telling Sprint reps that it's a 4G-capable phone, the question is: who is telling them this?
  12. gage006's Avatar
    Posts
    543 Posts
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    #72  
    I'd put money on either android or pre coming out with a 4g version next year. Whichever comes out first, I'll buy buying it in a heart beat.

    Android rumor rodeo, starring Sprint's first 4G phone, a delayed Eclair, INQ Mobile's 2010 handset, and more
  13. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #73  
    android is an OS - so far seems HTC, Samsung, and motorolla are making handsets with that OS. which one do you think is likely to make the 4G model?

    I think samsung is working on some flavor of 4G- if I recall metropcs said that samsung will be making their first 4G (they are going LTE) handset due the end of 2010.
  14. #74  
    There's just no way that Palm will be releasing a 4G product next year. Not a chance. It will not be cost effective for them until 2011 at the earliest.

    EVDO Rev A is good enough for Palm because it reaches the vast majority of Sprint users and the country, actually. Palm won't be adding a wimax chip until Sprint has AT LEAST half this country's population covered.
  15. efudd's Avatar
    Posts
    697 Posts
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    ... Palm won't be adding a wimax chip until Sprint has AT LEAST half this country's population covered.
    I'm not really familiar with their current buildout in terms of coverage- they wont have a decent chunk of the population covered at some oint soon?

    I remember when Directv started adding HD local channels they got some huge chunk of the population with just tens of markets. I'd think that like NY, DC/Baltimore, CHicago, and LA alone would be a big chunk of the population.

    Maybe 20-40 larger markets could get sprint half the population? Or is it not that simple?

    Verizon loves to show the tiny footprint of ATT's 3G network all the time, but in reality isn't ATT giving a large percentage coverage?
  16. #76  
    Like I said... it won't be cost effective until 2011 at the EARLIEST. Somewhere during 2011 is when Clearwire expects to have half the country's population covered -- EXPECTS!!

    I'd guesstimate a Pre v1.5 to come out sometime next year with 16gb & 32gb options. Then a Pre v2.0 to come out early to mid 2011, which might have WiMax.... but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Palm's not investing in 4g chips if only 1/4th of the population can use it in a combined 2300 sq mile area. Let's just leave it at that. 2011 at the EARLIEST.
  17. pvman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Like I said... it won't be cost effective until 2011 at the EARLIEST. Somewhere during 2011 is when Clearwire expects to have half the country's population covered -- EXPECTS!!

    I'd guesstimate a Pre v1.5 to come out sometime next year with 16gb & 32gb options. Then a Pre v2.0 to come out early to mid 2011, which might have WiMax.... but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Palm's not investing in 4g chips if only 1/4th of the population can use it in a combined 2300 sq mile area. Let's just leave it at that. 2011 at the EARLIEST.
    WOW!! 2011!! I was hoping sooner. As much as I love my 680 (and I really do), I was hoping to get off of it sooner than that. Funny thing is, to insure that your predicted changes come to fruition, on needs to support the current incarnation of the Pre.

    I may pull the trigger, but considering I keep a lot of multimedia on my SD Card (32 GB), that would not transfer to the Pre, as it doesn't have enough memory, is an issue for me. Of course that raises the question, "Do I need to keep so much with me?".

    I use my Treo as my Bible reader, my music and podcast player, my thumb drive, my note taker (text and voice), my calendar, my task manager, my GPS navigator, and ocational web surfer. Not to mention Google Maps and TryDA. I used to watch TV on it, but didn't like the channel offerings from MobiTV. Oh yeah, and I receive an SMS/MMS or a call or 2 from time to time.

    The Pre covers most of that, and does it much better in some cases, but the memory . . . .
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Like I said... it won't be cost effective until 2011 at the EARLIEST. Somewhere during 2011 is when Clearwire expects to have half the country's population covered -- EXPECTS!!

    I'd guesstimate a Pre v1.5 to come out sometime next year with 16gb & 32gb options. Then a Pre v2.0 to come out early to mid 2011, which might have WiMax.... but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Palm's not investing in 4g chips if only 1/4th of the population can use it in a combined 2300 sq mile area. Let's just leave it at that. 2011 at the EARLIEST.
    What are you reading? They are on track to have 25 markets rolled out by the end of this year and 80 by the end of 2010.

    If the big markets get rolled out by mid 2010 expect a handset to take advantage of it.

    Clearwire lays out rollout slate; demonstrates global roaming: CommsUpdate : TeleGeography Research
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by pvman View Post
    WOW!! 2011!! I was hoping sooner. As much as I love my 680 (and I really do), I was hoping to get off of it sooner than that.
    Well... there's really no reason to wait for another Pre. By the time a Pre v1.5 or v2.0 comes out... you'll more than likely be ready for your full upgrade credit. When you start paying Everything Data prices... you automatically become a Sprint Premier customer and get a new handset every year [if you want one that is]. So you might as well get the Pre now and another phone in a year from now, and EVERY year thereafter.

    Quote Originally Posted by pvman View Post
    Funny thing is, to insure that your predicted changes come to fruition, on needs to support the current incarnation of the Pre.
    Palm will be ok. With various carriers in the U.S. and worldwide... with a variety of handsets (Pre, Pixi, etc.)... with profits from the Touchstone & other accessories... with profits from the App Catalog... I think it's safe to say that Palm's here to stay. Even if they do manage to sink the Palm ship... somebody will keep WebOS alive, I promise. And they might even find some manufacturers with better quality control while they're at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by pvman View Post
    I may pull the trigger, but considering I keep a lot of multimedia on my SD Card (32 GB), that would not transfer to the Pre, as it doesn't have enough memory, is an issue for me. Of course that raises the question, "Do I need to keep so much with me?"
    ...
    The Pre covers most of that, and does it much better in some cases, but the memory . . . .
    The question could also be... why can't you stream your music collection from a server at home like other Pre users are doing? It would be no problem at all to stream your music from home. It'd tax your battery a tad bit more, but you'd live, whether it be with a spare battery or Touchstone...

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    What are you reading? They are on track to have 25 markets rolled out by the end of this year and 80 by the end of 2010.

    Clearwire lays out rollout slate; demonstrates global roaming: CommsUpdate : TeleGeography Research
    Can't remember where I read it... but your stats still confirm my statement: "Like I said... it won't be cost effective until 2011 at the EARLIEST. Somewhere during 2011 is when Clearwire expects to have half the country's population covered -- EXPECTS!!"

    The population numbers in your article are the same as the one I'd seen, and they still validate my claim. And there are a thousand things that Clearwire could do to not even reach that population coverate, and I highly doubt they'll do better than expected. It's tough for most any company to do "better than expected" nowadays.

    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If the big markets get rolled out by mid 2010 expect a handset to take advantage of it.
    Hah... well, I'd certainly expect a 4g handset by mid 2010 alright... but I HIGHLY doubt that Palm will have anything to do with that. My prediction is 2011, and I'm sticking by it.
  20. pvman's Avatar
    Posts
    38 Posts
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    #80  
    What about the rumors that the Pre may end up on Verizon or another carrier? Any predictions on the length of the Sprint exclusivity contract?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions