Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkev1469 View Post
    We the manager @ sprint said the palm is going to work and she is a palm avdacate so she did pre test and all that good stuff
    It doesn't have a 2500-2700mhz radio, so don't post misinformation. The 2400mhz radio it does have is for WiFi connectivity, in your home, not WiMax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    If there was a 4g radio on the phone, we would know based on the FCC filings.
    Actually, I don't think this is true. The only thing one has to file with the FCC is whatever is currently turned on in a device. However, I'm pretty sure that if there were a 4G radio, it would have turned up in the tear-downs.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    The guy at my local Sprint store told me it's 4G.

Then again, he said I can use voice and 3G data simultaneously.

Again Sprint, less sizzle more facts when it comes to your employees (this includes corporate and franchised locations...no reason for different info).
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanP View Post
    sorry mate, you can't just turn a 3g chip into a 4g chip by changing the software.

it's like saying "hey, I've got this 10 year old pc in the basement, it's too slow to work on, but if I put windows vista on it it will be fast!!". doesn't work that way. ok, so maybe vista is not the best example but you get my point.
    Yeah but if you put a Linux distro in it, it will work fine
    Trust me when I say that the Sprint employees themselves are very misinformed sometimes on new products that come out, especially store managers who have a million things to worry about other than whether the Pre is 4G compatible. Anyone who has worked in retail will tell you that the employees typically know more about the products than the managers.

As far as the Pre & 4G is concerned, i assure you it's not. I am friendly with one of Palm's Area Managers, and he confirmed it.
    My guess is that when they say that the Pre is going to be 4G compatible, they mean you can continue to use it on the network, but they are not saying that you will get 4G speeds. You will still be able to use your phone, but it will be like using an old 1x phone on an EVDO network.
    Well this posting was made over on palms actual forums and someone who appears to be a palm employee mildly chimed in on the topic... take it with a grain of salt though.

I can't post links cause I'm too new here sorry you'll have to replace the http

"hxxp://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=hardware&thread.id=45088"
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    There is really no need for 4g on phone right now, 4g network is going to be ip based only.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    It has to be false advertising if you ask them (Sprint) specifically...."If I have the Pre, what do I need to do to get 4G speed once it comes out? and their response is "You don't need to do anything, once it's out, you'll have it"
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Several months ago I saw the local planning commission on TV addressing an application from Clear Wire for a cell tower.

Sprint recently announced 4G here in Vegas next month.

If I were the local cable company, I'd be nervous.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by gus7571 View Post
    It has to be false advertising if you ask them (Sprint) specifically...."If I have the Pre, what do I need to do to get 4G speed once it comes out? and their response is "You don't need to do anything, once it's out, you'll have it"
    Thats not advertising, thats just misinformation.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Yeah, you're right. But it's still shady
  13.    #53  
    I can't beleive this thread has gotten this long. I originally asked the question before the phone was released. We all know how bad the speculation and rumors were prior to release. I was under the impression that it was possible the Pre could have had a 4G radio. This should be a dead issue. The phone is 3G, still that's not too shabby.
    Moved from the Palm Pre forum to the Future Palm Devices forum.

- Craig
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
    You won't see it in the next either, since the 4G network isn't going to get built. That mishmash of ownership by clearwire is not going to be able to deploy the network. They don't have enough money.

All this 4G talk by Sprint is BS...
    not sure where you are getting your info but 4G is out and about... Sprint is even selling the USB plug-in to use the 4G. Its in Baltimore and Portland, there are like 10 cities that will have it Sep 1st but the 4G is BS huh? About sprint not having enough money, that might be true but man, they sure are spending a ton on advertising! On TV, all over the net, NFL network, NASCAR races....
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I can't beleive this thread has gotten this long. I originally asked the question before the phone was released. We all know how bad the speculation and rumors were prior to release. I was under the impression that it was possible the Pre could have had a 4G radio. This should be a dead issue. The phone is 3G, still that's not too shabby.
    right, the phone is 3g, not 4g. End of story
    I think one of the reasons this thread has traction, is that Sprint's 4g network is growing...by allot! It's in Dallas, a fair bit of Midland/Odessa, and will be in San Antonio and Corpus Christi by years end, then Houston by Jan of 2010. No one seems to be talking about how much work Sprint is doing to bring 4g in.

I read a story about how VZ just had a successful "test" of their 4g, really? a test? I know Sprint has angered some folks over the years, but hell! At this point they have the fastest, most under populated network! My iPhone friends loath att speed and coverage, I just zap by them on my Pre!
    Why can't the mobile device manufactures get that most want a touch screen and a front face QWERTY?
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick View Post
    The guy at my local Sprint store told me it's 4G.

Then again, he said I can use voice and 3G data simultaneously.

Again Sprint, less sizzle more facts when it comes to your employees (this includes corporate and franchised locations...no reason for different info).

Were you being sarcastic because, i had a buddy call and ask me if i could look something up on the internet for him so i put him on speakerphone, and browsed to where i had to go and gave him the info needed???

**** EDIT ****

NM i just tried it again and i must have been on wifi at the time he asked.
    what exactly is 4G? hell what is 3G?
    Quote Originally Posted by mpitre001 View Post
    what exactly is 4G? hell what is 3G?
    4th generation cellular technology. 3rd gen...etc
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast