Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm not a tech/wireless guru, so I don't know about all the hardware/software limitations involved, but with WiFi around 2.4 GHz and WiMAX around 2.5, would it be possible with the right software for a Pre to use the WiFi radio to rx/tx a WiMAX signal? This possibility would explain the absence of a WiMAX-specific radio in the FCC filings.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingblade View Post
    I'm not a tech/wireless guru, so I don't know about all the hardware/software limitations involved, but with WiFi around 2.4 GHz and WiMAX around 2.5, would it be possible with the right software for a Pre to use the WiFi radio to rx/tx a WiMAX signal? This possibility would explain the absence of a WiMAX-specific radio in the FCC filings.
    While WiMax and Wifi share some similarities (and in Sprint's 4G implementation almost similar frequencies), WiFi will NOT transmit/receive a WiMAx signal. The protocol is different. Wifi is 802.11, WiMax is 802.16. Please Google the protocols and you will see that their implementations are fundamentally different. Different protocols REQUIRE different radios aka hardware which has to be tested by the FCC. People are really wishful here.
    Wifi&BT.

Go to page 9. Clearly states your 2.4 to 2.483ghz range. Clearly states it's for Wifi and BT. GFSK & 8PSK refer to BT.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Read the documents again. There is testing that takes place in the 2.4 to 2.483ghz range. It is mentioned in the SAR test report.

WiMax is a trademark/commercial name, not something that would be used in a legal government document.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    So by Sprint saying/pushing 4G over & over again, is it false advertising?
    Last edited by reverendrhino; 05/29/2009 at 10:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    So by Sprint saying/pushing 4G over & over again, its false advertising
    How is it false advertising? The Pre isn't a 4G device, period. End of story. Sprint has a 4G network they're rolling out, that's what the advertising is talking about.

If you want 4G, wait for 4G phone chipsets and radio stacks to come out, and buy one of those. Otherwise, buy one of the 4G datacards and enjoy in Baltimore and like one or two other Clearwire markets.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    false advertising because you can't treat mentioning the coming of a 4g network and a sliding Pre as two separate things?
    Quote Originally Posted by reverendrhino View Post
    So by Sprint saying/pushing 4G over & over again, its false advertising
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    I don't believe there is a single 4G phone on the market now, or even announced. Just a few data cards.
    If i was Sprint, i'd forget spending millions promoting the Pre and spend that money getting 4G out. That's their ticket.
    there are 1 or 2 4g phones that exist. whether or not they're in actual production is another story.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    there are 1 or 2 4g phones that exist. whether or not they're in actual production is another story.
    There could be a million 4G phones that exist, if its not in production means they're not out for all intent and purposes. There is no false advertising by Sprint. They never claimed that Pre can be 4G capable which it isn't. Sometimes, people just read waaaaaay too much into a simple ad. You know the saying, people see what they want to see.

Lets please put an end to all this non sense, there are no 4G phones out right now and the current Pre cannot and never will run on 4G. Adding a patch does NOT turn a 3G phone into a 4G phone just like upgrading a firmware on a standard def TV does not turn it into an HDTV!
    false advertising because you can't treat mentioning the coming of a 4g network and a sliding Pre as two separate things?
    Geez, it was just a question. I could care less if the phone was 3G, 4G, or 5G as long as it freakin' works when I get it.
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    I think Sprint is trying to say wifi is the 4g network. At least I hope that is what they mean. Otherwise their advertising makes no sense.
    hey Outrigger, if you want to rant, don't reference me. I'll tell you to pound sand as I've been on the right side of this argument.
    I don't think your post makes sense. they are bringing you the first 4G network. It's called wimax. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Pre. The fact that the Pre is thrown into the commercial as a teaser right after the 4G comment is purely coincidental. It's only people on here that are trying to say the 2.4ghz radio used for wifi & BT is for wimax.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ78 View Post
    I think Sprint is trying to say wifi is the 4g network. At least I hope that is what they mean. Otherwise their advertising makes no sense.
    If they're not in actual production they're vaporware. Dreams and visions don't count.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Different protocols REQUIRE different radios aka hardware
    Not necessarily, there are SDR(software defined radios) coming out now, check infineon who already makes lots of the radio chips in cell phones

X-GOLDā„¢ SDR 20 - Infineon Technologies

They have a new one out, you can program it to do whatever:

SW/FW packages for
    –– GSM, GPRS, EDGE
    (Classes 1-12 and 30-33)
    –– WCDMA (3GPP Rel. 6)
    –– HSDPA cat.8 (Rx diversity),
    HSUPA cat. 6
    –– GMR-3G for satellite
    communication (Rx diversity)

Upgradeable by SW to
    –– LTE (2x2 MIMO, 2 data streams,
    5MHz bandwidth)
    –– Wifi 802.11a/b/g/n
    –– Mobile TV standards
    (DVB-T/H, DVB-SH)
    This lists the software packages they already have available for it which doesn't include wimax, but I am sure they could do that as well with this chip.
    < < Ed by Dieter > > I just answered the man's question.
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
    If they're not in actual production they're vaporware. Dreams and visions don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    i just didn't know if the pre was already wired as a 4G phone running on 3G so to speak. Just how some computers have hardware already in place so that features can be used a later date.
    We the manager @ sprint said the palm is going to work and she is a palm avdacate so she did pre test and all that good stuff
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkev1469 View Post
    We the manager @ sprint said the palm is going to work and she is a palm avdacate so she did pre test and all that good stuff
    you mean the manager that makes $8.50 instead of $8.25 an hour..... thats the same manager that told me i was going to win the lottery, so i quit my job!!

The Wams
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Possible future 4G model of the Palm Pre: Does Palm Pre use Sprint 4G? | Free Cell Phone Deals

Update: According to the Sprint Rep I spoke to on the Pre launch date, there will be a new version of Palm Pre that support 4G (WiMax). It will NOT be software upgrade. It will be a new Palm Pre 4G coming out in 2010!
    There are some really strange claims on this forum (i.e. Palm Pre is 4G capable) but I don't know: 4G?? - Palm Pre

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast