1.    #1  
    It seems the US federal government might be interested in Cloud Computing...
    Federal News Radio 1500 AM: First to the cloud: agency infrastructures

I wonder if the interest includes getting a copy of everyone's life-in-the-cloud. Surely they would only use this for legit purposes?

The NSA could outsource the job of spying to Google. The way they are going thru e-mail, blogs, street-view, aps, and Google Voice, they will already have everybody's "private" info anyway.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Your post in NO WAY relates to the article. Matter of fact, you should remove the link and simply ask your question...

To answer your question, yes, of course, the feds will use the information from google, microsoft, aol, yahoo (etc) to solve cases and find out information. It only makes sense... if we allow this to happen, then the feds will use whatever they have at their disposal.

We are to blame... not the feds, not the companies....

As I've stated before, we carry cell phones... they track us every place we go... we use credit cards... we are on video from the time we leave the house (and some even while in the house) to the time we return....

We as a people gave up on privacy a long time ago....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  3.    #3  
    Sorry, theog...

While the original link may be for legit uses, it did get me thinking about other uses they may have- just how my wierd mind works I guess.

That said, it is worth discussing how much we have given up, some voluntarily (to get a free e-mail address or other service) and some not-so-much.

I find it ironic that in the name of Hippa rules we have to stand a few feet away from the pharmacy counter, but we have no way to control how many staff members at the pharmacy, the doc's office, insurance company, etc. have access to our files detailing every embarrassing wart or ailment. It is hard enough to be secure in our personal effects, but now we are not even allowed privacy in our person itself. Now with rules requiring electronic recordkeeping, there is no longer a physical file you can secure.
    We have many docs on here, what are their concerns about securing their patients records?

This could apply to brokers and others who have our financial info as well.

I'm afraid this relates to cloud computing (and the Pre) in that no longer will a search warrant be needed to obtain a record (how quaint an archaic idea), the data can be copied and sent around the world in seconds.

You are right, we have no privacy- but should we? It is not just governments we have to worry about, companies often do not heed the "do no evil" code, through incompetence, or deliberate ulterior motives. Sometimes one will impersonate another. I just got a scammer's email claiming to be from the FBI. The lambs are toast to these scum. If we can't stop spam, we can't stop the misuse of these electronic records either. I guess the only ones safe are the Amish, off-the-grid.

The thing about Clouds are... they can look really soft and fluffy, even like cute pictures in the sky... but clouds can soon turn dark and ugly, unleashing deafening thunder, killer lightning, and destructive winds. Which clouds will we see in cloud computing, and what is to stop the former type from becoming the latter?
    Last edited by duanedude1; 05/22/2009 at 10:04 AM.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    And all this actually comes as a shocking surprise to us?

I always considered Google as a massive espionage operation. What else would you call maps with street-view, for example.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 06/04/2009 at 05:24 AM.