1.    #1  
    Those buying their Pre phones in California had better look at this document before deciding where to buy their phone or face a bit of sales tax sticker shock. I posted this in another thread, but I think it needs its own thread.

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub120.pdf

By the way, it means that if you buy at Best Buy, with their higher retail price, you are helping to ease the California state budget crisis!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Wow! That sucks! I've never heard of that before. Glad I don't live in Cali.
    Ahh, California, the land of fruits, nuts and flakes......

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Anyone know if you can purchase the Pre out-of-state and still activate in your home calling area? I'll be out of town and wonder if I can go to a Sprint store where I'll be (Vegas) and still get the Pre. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance,
    - J
    Just another reason why I wish I were back in Chicago...

It also makes that Best Buy retail price of $849.99 even more important as a reason NOT to buy there.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Sure you can buy out of state and activate to your original number. Have done it 3 times. Twice while I lived in CA.
    Gotta love our ****ty state government! We still don't have a budget and our crappy legislators can't decide. Schools are suffering and teachers loosing their jobs, and we wonder why our students are not as smart as the rest of the world... Rediculous!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Chicago tax is really high though. I'm not happy about what we pay here. I've resorted to internet buying because even if you pay tax, they usually only charge the ACTUAL state tax, not all those local extras.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Chicago tax is really high though. I'm not happy about what we pay here. I've resorted to internet buying because even if you pay tax, they usually only charge the ACTUAL state tax, not all those local extras.
    I buy almost exclusively online as well. Someone on Engadget said it perfectly: "Best Buy is just a showroom for Newegg.com." haha!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Oh, I just look for any excuse to mention Chicago. Miss it to death. But, yes, taxes are pretty darn high there too.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Highest in the country.

Thanks Todd.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Just bought a Pre from BestBuy in West Hollywood. Tax on my $199 phone (and $26 car charger) was $64!! They didn't mention that until I had been there for nearly 45 minutes activating the phone, so I just paid it. Sales guy said most "Western states" are doing that. Sounds fishy to me. Works out to about a 30% tax rate on the actual purchase price!
    In the Northern Ca market yesterday there was $65 tax on a iphone 3gs 32bg. The guy buying it knew it was gonna be high but still tried to get ATT to pay them.(we cant) I've sold free phones in CA with $20 in taxes...YIKES!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Come to New Hampshire- state motto: Live Free (of sales & income taxes) or die (of over-taxation in Massachusetts) Italics mine but generally understood by all state residents.
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I too suffered a little sticker shock yesterday when we picked up our two Pre phones here in the LA area. When the CSR told me the final bill I was puzzled and wondered what the deal was. I took a look a the receipt and saw a lot of tax.

I suppose I would be dealing with the same sort of thing back in Chicago (I too miss Chicago!).
    there is tax on everything