Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Obviously Palm needs to get the Pre out the door before anything else, but is there any for a WebOS PDA in the future? Or have they stated that they'll only produce phones from now on?

I just don't need a smartphone but my reliable TX/PalmOS is looking shoddier and shoddier compared to the shiny new WebOS. I would love an updated handheld!
    Anything's possible, but I think it's highly unlikely given the dwindling nature of the PDA market.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I too am currently using a TX, but the world - and Palm - is moving to an "always connected, always available" paradigm. This means a device on a cellular carrier network, basically.

Something like a WebOS Ipod Touch might be nice, but a WiFi-only connection isn't really "connected" enough, is it? Too many opportunities to be away from a Wi-Fi access point.

I think it would be nice to have an always-connected device that wasn't tied to a cell-phone carrier somehow. I've wondered about a PDA-like device that was connected to a national pager network, that would give you always-there connectivity for low-bandwidth things like instant-messages and Twitter updates, while Wi-Fi could be used for the heavy lifting of media playback, Synergy syncing, etc., when available. OK, then you're tied to a paging network, but I'm guessing it would be a lot cheaper then any cellphone plan.
    palm pre is consider a pda unless u just want something like ipod touch then fcuk that, i rather get the pre
    Quote Originally Posted by George Mari View Post
    I think it would be nice to have an always-connected device that wasn't tied to a cell-phone carrier somehow. I've wondered about a PDA-like device that was connected to a national pager network, that would give you always-there connectivity for low-bandwidth things like instant-messages and Twitter updates, while Wi-Fi could be used for the heavy lifting of media playback, Synergy syncing, etc., when available. OK, then you're tied to a paging network, but I'm guessing it would be a lot cheaper then any cellphone plan.
    The paging networks have been disappearing because they are essentially obsolete. Blackberries use to run on a paging network but switched to regular phone networks.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    A wi-fi connection is enough for me. I do not need to a new phone bill that is more than twice what I already pay just to connect to the internet all the time. I have wi-fi everywhere I need it. So the Ipod touch version of a pre would be perfect for me. I hope palm realizes not everyone wants a huge monthly cell bill to move into a new device.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I think my dream device would be a PDA-like (in the sense that it's not primarily a phone) device, the form factor of a Kindle DX, with a color screen, touch capability, wi-fi (and maybe some sort of 3G but not important), and WebOS. I don't need it in my pocket, as long as I can carry it in my notebook or backpack and read documents on it. Something like a Star Trek PADD