1.    #1  
    Ok so I just had a random question asked to me by this web site it was, What was the first president of the United States? I am assuming the correct answer (according to this site) is George Washington. but the answer is really John Hanson...... Just an fyi
    There were actually seven presidents prior to George Washington.

John Hanson-1782
    Elias Boudinot-1783
    Thomas Mifflin-1784
    Richard Henry Lee-1785
    Nathan Gorman-1786
    Arthur St. Clair-1787
    Cyrus Griffin-1788

All these guys were elected under the articles of Confederation and could only serve 1 year. The Confederation didn't work to well. It gave the states with more land more power. So the Constitution was written.

And you have the first president of the United States that was sworn in under our Constitution was George Washington.....

Last edited by treotraveler; 05/13/2009 at 08:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    There were actually seven presidents prior to George Washington.

John Hanson-1782
    Elias Boudinot-1783
    Thomas Mifflin-1784
    Richard Henry Lee-1785
    Nathan Gorman-1786
    Arthur St. Clair-1787
    Cyrus Griffin-1788

All these guys were elected under the articles of Confederation and could only serve 1 year. The Confederation didn't work to well. It gave the states with more land more power. So the Constitution was written.

And you have the first president of the United States that was sworn in under our Constitution was George Washington.....

None of these guys were Presidents of the United States, but Presidents of Congress. Different position totally.

From Wikipedia:

After serving in a variety of roles for the Patriot cause in Maryland, in 1779 Hanson was elected as a delegate to the Continental Congress. He signed the Articles of Confederation in 1781 after Maryland finally joined the other states in ratifying them. In November 1781, he became the first President of Congress to be elected under the terms of the Articles of Confederation.[1] For this reason, Hanson was later promoted as having been the first President of the United States, one of several myths about him.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Micael View Post
    None of these guys were Presidents of the United States, but Presidents of Congress. Different position totally.

From Wikipedia:
    Perhaps you can show me where I said the above mentioned seven men were presidents of the United States. I looked, I don't see where I said that.