Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    if you look closely, it seems you can see some color smeered on the screens. maybe its like a color gameboy screen? can be seen in daylight, and with a light at night. they just look so cool . but it does not use palm os so it probaly wont be able to use most or all the apps on palmgear(hint, no home,menu,calc,find button)
    "Few women admit their age. Few men act theirs."
    "The sum of the intelligence on the planet is constant, but the population is increasing"
    "I am not a vegetarian because i love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.-- A. Whitney Brown"
    What does this do for Spring Board developers and future products?
    Yes, color is a must! (Does Blazer run in monochrome?) I guess it's too much to hope for that the cover and rest of phone pulls out of a springboard slot... doesn't look like it, although that would solve the eyemodule/minijam/memory problem...
    As it happens, I am just in the market for a PDA/Palm combo!!! In fact, i was waiting for the Samsung I300 but it sounds as if they have some problems...
    Think the new units are great! or let's say promising...

now the big questions are:
    - what are the dimensions + weight? (they look bulky on the pictures! especially from the back...)
    - what's the screen real estate (the one turnoff of the CLie is IMO the small screen)
    - size of RAM (pleeeaassee, make it 16 MB if there is really no SB-slot)
    - can the jog rocker be used in all applications?
    - speakerphone/voice-dialing?
    - and finally, what's the price and availability?

and the illusions are:
    - color reflective LCD
    - 320*320 resolution (even monochrome)
    - sled for the SB die-hards or, at least, include SD slot for more memory
    - price: $299 with a decent phone plan incl. data minutes for...uhhmmm... $30/month
    - availability: next Monday!

either way, i think HS has finally shown again their leadership in innovation! Offering an integrated keyboard with the handheld is really cool! not to mention of course the integration of the VP module into the handheld.

just my 0.02 cents... JR
    A. This is the next handspring PDA, not the next Visor, this is the VISORcentral forum, we are not necessarily the target audience.

B. This looks like a very promising product, not meant to replace the visor, but meant to reach a broader audience. My impression is that visors are largely for the more power user types in the PalmOS world. These look like you could sell them to businesses like wildfire. Sleek, elegant, fully functional phones with PDA functionality.

C. This is really good for Handspring, I was worried about them, in that there Visors are going out of date, and looking a little stale. I am sort of thinking that I was being egocentric and thinking that handspring was supposed to be innovating for me and not for the PDA market. This product looks a lot better designed and thought out than the blackberry, i7(whatever) or the kyocera. To me it's almost like when I looked at the Handspring Visor and its eyemodule after the palm III and palmpix, not earthshatteringly different, but just plain better implementation etc.

Kg
    Originally posted by kgruscho
    A. This is the next handspring PDA, not the next Visor, this is the VISORcentral forum, we are not necessarily the target audience.

B. This looks like a very promising product, not meant to replace the visor, but meant to reach a broader audience. My impression is that visors are largely for the more power user types in the PalmOS world. These look like you could sell them to businesses like wildfire. Sleek, elegant, fully functional phones with PDA functionality.

C. This is really good for Handspring, I was worried about them, in that there Visors are going out of date, and looking a little stale. I am sort of thinking that I was being egocentric and thinking that handspring was supposed to be innovating for me and not for the PDA market. This product looks a lot better designed and thought out than the blackberry, i7(whatever) or the kyocera. To me it's almost like when I looked at the Handspring Visor and its eyemodule after the palm III and palmpix, not earthshatteringly different, but just plain better implementation etc.

Kg
    Amen!!!
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    ...So, if you want wireless, you choice is between voice (Treo) or data (i70whatever). The Palm's got expansion, the Treo's got voice...

tough call, I say. HS should have at least made it possible, even if inconvenient. I mean really, that edge connector didn't exacly take up a lot of space.

...ok, rant over. These look like great, elegant products. Zen of Palm? Bah. Zen of Handspring...

All hail Hawkins.
    Originally posted by robert sibell
    if you look closely, it seems you can see some color smeered on the screens. maybe its like a color gameboy screen? can be seen in daylight, and with a light at night.
    Pray that it is not like that, I have the new gameboy advance, and let me tell you, when you are in direct light it has the best screen you could imagine, when you are in the shade you are lucky if you can see where you are going. It had better have a backlight, and if it doesn't it would be toast on the market. besides the bigger form factor allows for a bigger Li-Ion Battery
    Snitty
    "That's One Big Twinkie"
    Originally posted by dietrichbohn
    ...So, if you want wireless, you choice is between voice (Treo) or data (i70whatever). The Palm's got expansion, the Treo's got voice ... All hail Hawkins.
    Actually, the news items clearly state that the Treo is voice and data capable. More cheers for Hawkins.
    MANY BLESSINGS!
    Peace and Every Good!

Michael W. Cristiani
    mcristia@fuse.net
    kgruscho I agree with you. I, for one, am happy with my VPR and Startac. I have no problem connecting them with a cable if I want to go online.

I think that this is a great move for HS and will ultimately increase the market for PDA's in general and Visor's in particular. There are, as many have already said, people out there for whom these will fill a need. I can see a large market for these in businesses with the combination of the basic PDA functions and a cell phone/browser. Sales people are going to want this as it will allow them to keep all of their contact information convenient on their phone and still allow them to connect for email.

Congrats to HS for looking to expand their market presence.
    Jonathan
    This is plausible, as I had guessed that the impending products were not color units. Have you noticed that the Prism is the only unit not discounted in the current price slash?

I still wish it had a springboard connector of some sort. I guess I have to sit and wait for the rumored new version of the Visor Deluxe. If they build wireless into that, and have rechargeables built in, I'm a taker.
    Originally posted by ToolkiT
    I think HS should give that option on all news Visors...
    As an *option*....ok. As standard fare.....,well, all I can say is bye bye Handspring. No way would I want this.
    You can have my PDA when you pry it from my cold dead hand! <g>
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    for a combo pda/phone to take off it has to hit the size sweet spot. It looks like Handspring has an intriguing effort in this space, but a springboard slot/module would clearly wreck the form factor. Good luck Handspring. I hope you succeed where others have failed!

-J
    Originally posted by dennisl
    I still wish it had a springboard connector of some sort. I guess I have to sit and wait for the rumored new version of the Visor Deluxe. If they build wireless into that, and have rechargeables built in, I'm a taker.
    There maybe hope (even if it's false hope) for a Springboard connector. If you look at the picture here you can see the new hot-sync connector. Once again they've changed it completely. What you can't quite tell is how many pins are in this connector. I'm hoping that there are lots of pins (like 68) and that there will be a Springboard adapter that uses this port.

Oh boy am I'm hoping for this...
    "Hey! Check out these cresent-fresh skulls in my salad!"- Sifl & Olly
  15. utz
    I think these two units are a step in the right direction. I also agree that the integrated keyboard is a good idea to try out.

I don't see the omission of a springboard slot as fatal. I don't even have a springboard and I have had my Visor almost two years. The only springboard that I wish I had is the back-up module. In my opinion the SB developers have done poorly bringing mostly non-compelling products to market, and the ones that are interesting are just too expensive. For example, the VisorPhone is interesting, when priced at $50. Anything more and it is too expensive for the mass market.

Having said that, I think Handspring will do well with these provided they avoid the two mistakes they made with the VisorPhone:

Don't make it too expensive -- $400 is the absolute max on these, and that is even high. If they price them at $500 or $600 they better not plan on making too many.

Don't make it GSM only -- I don't know the development differences, or the reasons for making the VisorPhone GSM instead of CDMA, but it was a huge mistake. The GSM market in the US is a lot smaller than the CDMA market. So not only do you have to convince people to buy a new phone, but you have to convince them to switch providers. That's twice as hard.
    Utz -- (Pronounced 'ootz', it means good, happy, etc. in the Mayan language of Cakchiquel)
    They have quite a few pictures over a PDABuzz.com

http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showt...threadid=23176

FYI
    <><
    Originally posted by LanMan
    They have quite a few pictures over a PDABuzz.com

http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showt...threadid=23176

FYI
    Not anymore Even the original FCC posting isn't available on the FCC website. Looks like Handspring is covering their tracks.
    Jeff
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a little cumbersome for a cell phone? It's bad enough holding the VisorPhone to your ear. Now you have to open it up and double the length. Why would they do this rather than have the mic built into the top as on the VPhone? To improve sound quality?
    Originally posted by mcristia
    Actually, the news items clearly state that the Treo is voice and data capable. More cheers for Hawkins.
    Right, but I'm talking about SERIOUS data capabilities, and not just the kind that floats through the air. If this thing isn't expandable, half the usage of my handheld would just evaporate. The Palm has the SD slot, in which all their mem modules and future SDIO devices can fit. The Treo has got a combination, great, but what sets it apart form the Kyocera besides design and software?

I don't even care so much if HS ditches the springboard, I just want an expandability option. Even if it is clunky, is it that hard to put the option there?

[EDIT]Don't get me wrong, again. It looks like it beats the Kyocera in the areas I mentioned. It looks like a great device, but not for me, despite my desire to have an integrated device just like this one. I need 1) a PDA, 2) Lotsa Memory, and 3)an integrated phone.

Your mileage may vary.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    It's hard to say whether or not these Treos will be cumbersome. Pictures always make PDAs look bigger than they are. I wish they would photograph them in people's hands, so that you could get a relative size impression.

I still can't get over this whole Treo thing. This is about as Left-field as I could have imagined Handspring going. Still, it will be interesting to see how all of this pans out.

I'm guessing we're not really in the realm of rumor here, since James has actually posted a story and created a new forum. But it feels like this has to be "top secret" stuff, with a lot of rampant speculation thrown in. That's generally not Visor Central's style. I have to wonder if this is going to hurt Visorcentral's relationship with Handspring. HS obviously didn't want this much info leaked, or else the FCC photos wouldn't have been revoked.

My gut feeling is that these Treos will be coming out much later, perhaps just before Christmas or maybe even next year. I think we'll see the Deluxe and Platinum replacements first; after, Handspring has to fund development on these Treos somehow.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast