1.    #1  
    Are there any Palm phones for Sprint that can be used overseas? 700wx? 800 Pro? Anything? I would prefere a windows phone while I am overseas, and I don't feel like using a BB. Thanks!
    Last edited by Blake002; 04/30/2009 at 05:00 PM.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $only$ &$quot$;$world$ $phone$&$quot$; $that$ $Sprint$ $carries$ $is$ $a$ $BB$. $You$ $would$ $have$ $to$ $use$ $a$ $GSM$ $model$ $for$ $travel$ $to$ $Europe$. $No$ $CDMA$ $there$.
  3.    #3  
    Well that stinks! What about any other carriers?

Thanks for the info.....
    AT&T and T-Mobile are GSM
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

5.    #5  
    Thank you both!

I am glad I got on here before I went to EBay to buy a 700wx Sprint phone. I was looking at the 800 Pro and really liked it but it would not work over seas, but the Sprint store told me that the 700wx would work.
  6.    #6  
    Ok, I just found a Treo 750v unlocked quadband GSM phone for just over $300.00.

Am I right in guessing that I can also use this with Sprint? Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure the phone will not only work in Romania, but the USA as well.

Any other ideas on how to go about this? Do I have to buy a pre paid SIM? Or will my US carrier just keep track and bill me? Such as what I was told would happen with a Sprint BB world phone?

Thanks!
    No. You cannot use a GSM phone with Sprint. Sprint is CDMA NOT GSM. The two are incompatible. Sprint does not use sim cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake002 View Post
    Are there any Palm phones for Sprint that can be used overseas? 700wx? 800 Pro? Anything? I would prefere a windows phone while I am overseas, and I don't feel like using a BB. Thanks!
    You might look at Nextel phones. They can be added to a Sprint account (I have one Sprint and one Nextel on mine). I don't know if they have a world phone or not, possibly the Motorola i920/i930. Otherwise you might be further ahead to get a used GSM phone and a month by month account with another carrier.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    If you buy an unlocked GSM phone, you can go to AT&T or T-Mobile and get a sim card.

A full listing of all US GSM providers is here: GSM Coverage Maps | United States

A worldwide listing GSM providers is here: GSM Coverage Maps

10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    If you buy an unlocked GSM phone, you can go to AT&T or T-Mobile and get a sim card.

A full listing of all US GSM providers is here: GSM Coverage Maps | United States

A worldwide listing GSM providers is here: GSM Coverage Maps
    Thank you! I am looking into this now, Ill go with the best rate plan I can find.

I went to Cincinnati Bell (part of ATT&T) today and it seemed good at first, but then it just seemed like they REALLY wanted to sell me on of their phones even after I insisted I was going to buy an unlocked 800 Pro.

At first they said the text charges would be the same over here in the US, but then they said for data transfer/email I would have to purchase a plan that was very expensive. Ill have to check into this and call these places and just come out and tell them if they try to sell me a phone im hanging up and going elsewhere.

Do you use your over seas? If so then how much is T-Mobile's charges?

Thanks again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake002 View Post
    Thank you! I am looking into this now, Ill go with the best rate plan I can find.

I went to Cincinnati Bell (part of ATT&T) today and it seemed good at first, but then it just seemed like they REALLY wanted to sell me on of their phones even after I insisted I was going to buy an unlocked 800 Pro.

At first they said the text charges would be the same over here in the US, but then they said for data transfer/email I would have to purchase a plan that was very expensive. Ill have to check into this and call these places and just come out and tell them if they try to sell me a phone im hanging up and going elsewhere.

Do you use your over seas? If so then how much is T-Mobile's charges?

Thanks again!
    I am sure they will want to sell you a phone and a two contract to go along with it. If you buy an unlocked GSM phone, you won't be tied into a 2 year contract, you'll be month to month with them. I bought my unlocked GSM Treo Pro from NewEgg. They have a pretty good selection of unlocked GSM phones, plus there is alway Ebay to look at: Newegg.com - Unlocked Cell Phones

My wife and I will be going to France either this summer or next. It should not be an issue since T-Mobile is headquartered in Europe.

I've been real happy T-Mobile. Their coverage is good for where I travel in the states, and their customer service has been real helpful and friendly.

I got my Treo Pro first and the plan I signed up for was 450 minutes, unlimited text and picture messaging, and unlimited data and I think it was $63 a month. When My wife got her Treo Pro I added her to my account and increased the minutes to 700 minutes, along with unlimited text and picture messaging, and unlimited data and we are paying $132 a month for two phones. My wife talks a lot on her phone to relatives, but it's always at night or on the weekend, and those minutes are free. I think the most chargeable minutes we have used in a month is 400 out of 700.

I hope that helps.

12.    #12  
    Thanks! That helped as well.

I did call ATT tonight after my last post, it cleared up a lot, they were very helpful and reminded me that if there is WiFi nearby I won't be charged for the data. I forgot about that as with my current Sprint phone I have the everything plan anyway so I don't care what/when and how much im using it.

The AAT rep is emailing me on Monday the plans with the overseas stuff included, and then ill take it to T-Mobile and see if they can beat it.

He also told me about the treo 750 with windows mobile, which for some reason I forgot about it having windows. Only thing is it does not have the WiFi for me to try and keep the data transfer cost down, but I am not sure how much that would save me anyway.

I'll say this for the 800 pro, I have tested the 700wx and 800 and it seemd like the volume on the calls were VERY low, not so on the 800 pro! I was very pleased. I just wish that the keyboard was like the 700wx and 750, seems a bit harder to use.

Since the phone I was playing with was locked up I did not get a view of the bottom to see if there was a slot for a stylus, does it not have one?

Thanks again for your help.
  13.    #13  
    Ok, I called ATT and it seems like they knew what they were talking about. Now to decide if I want the 750 (pro is I like the space between the keys), or the 800 Pro (pro is it has WiFi and could save money on emails).

Cincinnati Bell, which is same thing as ATT told me that some times unlocked phones may not work with text/data overseas? She said it's not as much of a problem as in the past, im just wondering what this is all about?

CinBell had a flat rate of 29.99, if I am overseas for the text/data it would be 59.99 per month unlimited text/data, 89.99 per month total while im overseas. ATT had a text/data plan for 24.00 for 20 mb per month.

But if I get the 800 Pro Ill have WiFi access.

Just trying to figure which is the best plan.

T-Mobile said I would need to prepay, but the other two said I could use my Credit Card for the billing.