1.    #1  
    ...Palm should dump the silly American CDMA market and concentrate on GSM, especially in India and China.

India adds record 15.6 million mobile users in March | Technology | Reuters

India adds record 15.6 million mobile users in March
    Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:08am EDT

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - Indian mobile operators added a record 15.64 million customers in March, helped by the expansion of networks to smaller towns and rural areas, data from the telecoms regulator showed.

The mobile subscriber base in the world's fastest-growing wireless market rose by 50 percent, or more than 130 million, to 391.8 million in the 12 months ended March, the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India said.

India is the second-biggest market for wireless services, lagging only China which has more than 600 million users.

Indian operators had added 15.41 million customers in January and 13.45 million users in February.

The country also had about 38 million fixed-line subscribers at end-March.
    No joke. I can't understand why Sprint and Verizon stay with CDMA. The phone manufacturers should force them to change by not offering the best phones on CDMA.

Granted, my Sprint phone works great here, but I'd rather have a SIM card that I could switch between phones.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3.    #3  
    BTW, India has CDMA too, so the figures must include these users as well. GSM is approx. 75% of the market.

The same trade-offs of GSM-3G v/s CDMA capacity is being played out here. Something related to spectrum allocation, considering the immense potential and opportunity for bribery and corruption.
    Sprint used to sell a few hybrid(CDMA/GSM) phones. That was a good idea for those who travel overseas, but the GSM bands were limited. I think 2100 was not included.

BTW Tony, the manufacturers for the most part DON'T offer the best phones to US CDMA. The Omnia and Touch/Touch Pro are exceptions. The Q9 was also a good phone. But most CDMA phones(mainly the dumbphones) are a joke compared to GSM phones. And even the smartphones are crippled compared to the factory GSM version much of the time, although this is the carriers' doing.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    ...but I'd rather have a SIM card that I could switch between phones.
    This is one thing I miss since leaving the GSM world. Moved to Sprint for better discounts and such. Happy I did though.
    They actually have CDMA phone with R-UIM cards in Asia. That will never happen in the US. Each US carrier here wants you to have their proprietary phone that are linked to their network only and are not card-enabled.

I am convinced that unlocked GSM phone are the only way to go at this point in time, until LTE comes out..
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

all the reasons that I left CDMA of VZW and Sprint and never looked back.

I am thinking the corporate accounts must be keeping them afloat.