1.    #1  
    OK, I love my 800w; and until all the apps that I run are ported to the Pre, and it gets at least a MicroSD slot I see no reason for one.

Does Palm have any future plans for WM 7 or 8??? Since the announcement of the Pre I have not been able to find even a rumor about a future Windows Mobile device from Palm. Are they really placing all of their eggs in one basket?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    I honestly think that the Treo Pro is the "full-stop" to Palms windows handsets, they will continuously say the contrary though with further cross platform compatibility and with things like exchange and bb connect, there is less and less need for WinMo gear.

The Pre is the start so the Pro's gotta stay for a little longer, until they release a few more webOS products to cover more market categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    I honestly think that the Treo Pro is the "full-stop" to Palms windows handsets,
    The 800 was really the last Palm Windows handset. Development of the Pro was largely outsourced to HTC. No reason why Palm couldn't continue to do that. There aren't many Treo style WM Pro devices on the market.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    The 800 was really the last Palm Windows handset. Development of the Pro was largely outsourced to HTC. No reason why Palm couldn't continue to do that. There aren't many Treo style WM Pro devices on the market.
    Valid. There may be one or two more devices still on their way but I think in the long term at least, webOS will be the complete basis for Palms future devices.

There is continuing growth in the WM Treo style handsets - HTC Snap, Q etc. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds...
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go
    Quote Originally Posted by brum View Post
    There is continuing growth in the WM Treo style handsets - HTC Snap, Q etc. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds...
    Those are both WM Standard devices though. I don't know of any other WM Pro devices with the Treo/Blackberry form factor.
    To add to this palm has a niche in this market as the blackberry, Q, htc snap and devices of this form factor are not touch screen. Palm currently has the only one. Now how long before HTC decides to bring in a form factor like this with a vga screen is the real question. Or even blackberry with half keyboard half touch screen not click screen like the storm. Thats when i would say palm would be in trouble with this form factor. I still can't believe they have allowed RIM to take over this market with such a simple non touch screen device as the blackberry. I remember when Treo used to be King. I always said the downfall of Palm was for having the touch screen market on lock and not releasing a full touch screen Treo. They would have been the iphone before the iphone especially with the very user friendly palm os. shame shame shame of what could have been.
    Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 700> Treo 755 >Treo 800w> HTC Diamond> Palm Treo Pro > HTC Touch Pro > Blackberry Bold > HTC Touch Pro 2 & Blackberry Tour
    I think there will always be a demand for a Windows mobile device. I'm willing to bet there will be a Windows 6.5 Treo device in the future.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

I have contacts with a couple of people in the Palm WM division, it is all but disbanded -- especially development.
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I have contacts with a couple of people in the Palm WM division, it is all but disbanded -- especially development.
    That's to bad. I am surprised Microsoft, which wants to be #1 in everything, isn't pushing it with Palm. Oh well.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    That's to bad. I am surprised Microsoft, which wants to be #1 in everything, isn't pushing it with Palm. Oh well.
    HTC is 80% of Microsoft's market with WM (and the Treo Pro is HTC anyway). Next year which is huge will be pumping out WM devices as well.

With the HTC Treo Pro essentially HTC and Palm got to leverage Palm's name on the HTC device.This is less necessary for HTC now in future now that it has developed a sold brand name for itself
    Quote Originally Posted by champagne609 View Post
    I always said the downfall of Palm was for having the touch screen market on lock and not releasing a full touch screen Treo. They would have been the iphone before the iphone especially with the very user friendly palm os. shame shame shame of what could have been.
    I disagree completely. The downfall of Palm was keeping Garnet around long after its sell by date.
    Of course. They have switched to selling HTC developed handsets.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    It only makes sense for Palm to push webOS development and its corporate integration / acceptance. The is big money here and it'd be smart to R&D so that they can compete with BB and winMo.
    Palm V → TX → Centro → HTC Legend → TouchPad/Pre 3(UK) → HTC One X → Nexus 4/iPad Mini → Pre 3/TouchPad Go