1.    #1  
    It's frustrating when my Treo's (650 of the past or my current 755p) navigate to a site, then the site tries to "help" me by forcing me to view the mobile version of the site, instead of the full, regular version.

Is there a way for me to force the full version to load? Thanks.

(I tried searching for this, but had no success.)
    Last edited by west3man; 04/06/2009 at 07:03 AM.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    This can be very annoying. I think one time I used Opera Mini to get around it, but that might not work all the time.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    This can be very annoying. I think one time I used Opera Mini to get around it, but that might not work all the time.
    I can't even get Opera Mini to navigate to a site of any kind.
  4.    #4  
    I finally got Opera Mini working, but I didn't have any luck using it to force the loading of the full version of a website, instead of the mobile version.
    First, go to skweezer.com, then enter the url of the site you want to get to.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    First, go to skweezer.com, then enter the url of the site you want to get to.
    Didn't work for me.

The site doesn't explain what it's supposed to do or what I'm supposed to do with it. So, I put the url in the search field, pressed "search" and watched as it loaded the mobile version of the site (I want the non-mobile version).

Am I missing something?
  7.    #7  
    I went to "settings" and chose the option to identify as a desktop computer and tried to load the, again. It didn't work the first time, but I'm gonna clear my cache and try, again.
  8.    #8  
    Success (w/ an asterisk)!

Clearing the cache helped. Then, when I attempted to click on a podcast, skweezer told me that the file was too large for them to process. It asked if I'd like to try it outside of skweezer, which I thought was a waste of time, but I did it anyway and it worked!

So, thanks for the work-around, schneor! Also, if anyone knows of alternate ways to access the full version of a website, please share them. There are clearly scenarios in which skweezer won't suit my needs, but it's working nicely enough in this case.

Thanks, again, schneor.
    Glad it worked for you. You could also try using a small (and free) front-end program called moxy that routes your url request through Google. You can find it here: Moxy 1.1.6 (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Honestly, every single mobile website out there should have a link to the full version. Especially if it detects your mobile browser and sends you there automatically.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Glad it worked for you. You could also try using a small (and free) front-end program called moxy that routes your url request through Google. You can find it here: Moxy 1.1.6 (for Palm OS) - mytreo.net/downloads
    I'll take a look. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Honestly, every single mobile website out there should have a link to the full version. Especially if it detects your mobile browser and sends you there automatically.
    Amen. It wasn't much of an issue when there weren't many mobile-optimized sites. Then they popped up and later become popular. Now I'm wrestling with sites, trying to get the full functionality out of them.

In the example that lead me to finally start this thread, the full site had podcast links, but its mobile version seemed to have different content, altogether. (And yes, I tried switching between optimized and widescreen formats. No love.)

Completely REMOVING the content? Man. Somebody needs a new webmaster or something.
  12.    #12  
    Tight. Moxy doesn't list this benefit, but it's on-point. Thank goodness. (I like having redundancies in place.)
    The other thing they need to realize is that "mobile" should just mean a narrow screen, minimal eye candy, and no flash content. 99.99 per cent of the time they could still include ALL of the functionality. And they should include it.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Tight. Moxy doesn't list this benefit, but it's on-point. Thank goodness. (I like having redundancies in place.)
    Unfortunately, the download links don't work properly through Moxy's proxy.

Oh well.