View Poll Results: Do you care if Google knows who you are, where you go, and what sites you visit?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

16 43.24%
  • no

21 56.76%
  1.    #1  
    Someone brought up this idea previously, about the security of your data on the cloud, but what about the security of your identity on the cloud?

Think of it like this, how many sites have Google ads on them? How many of those or others use Google Analytics? When sites have either of those Google products on them, that means you are requesting a javascript file from Google to make those functions work on the website. That means Google can request any cookies they've set on your browser that reference google.com. So... if you visit any sites that use Google ads or Analytics, it means Google can tell where you've been, they can link that with your gmail account and all your email, all your searches, any docs you have, your entire Google calendar, all your Google friends, the list goes on. If you access from your phone, you might be sending GPS data to Google maps. The level of detail that can be derived from that data is probably more than we all know, or want to know.

The question is, do you care?
    Developer must watch videos by Douglas Crockford of Yahoo:
    The JavaScript Programming Language part 1/4
    Theory of the DOM 1/3
    Advanced JavaScript 1/3
    Google does have a Big Brother presence. It is worrying IMO. Also that many corporations(not just Google) seem to think they have more right to your info than you do!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Big Brother has more information than we can even begin to think about, so I really don't care anymore. There is almost no privacy now a days.

My .02 Cents
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    It makes a huge difference to me. Maybe I'm paranoid/OCD, but this is the reason why I use prepaid phone service (if that even makes a difference at all) and noscript/cookieblock on my PC.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    They would get bored very quickly watching/following/tracking me. I really don't care if they are.
    There is no privacy today, so I do not worry about it.
    I'm amazed at how many people don't care about possible identity theft and other possible dangers out there. I'm certainly not storing anything financial or seriously personal in any cloud and I don't like the idea of having to rely solely on one.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    If you use Firefox with Noscript, those scripts don't work.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I went to mcdonalds the other day and noticed this huge darn camera in the window... went for gas and noticed the cameras... went to walmart and noticed the cameras...

Checked out with my credit card and remembered all that information is available to anyone.

Got home and felt safe... no one knew where I was... then I remembered my cell phone is broadcasting my location.

Crap...

Privacy? We limit our own privacy.

Google? We don't have to use google. It is a choice.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Got a point there theog. Privacy is really limited today.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I'm an avid Google user (Gmail, calendar, docs, Checkout, etc) and I'll admit I am a little concerned on the amount of data Google knows about me. However I take comfort in the fact that Google has the means to adequately protect my data. They have a lot invested in security and I'm confident it is a high priority for them. A major security breach at Google would be a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $and$ $ultimately$ $lead$ $to$ $revenue$ $loss$. $IOW$ $they$ $have$ $a$ $vested$ $interest$ $in$ $securing$ $your$ $data$. $Will$ $they$ $use$ $it$ $to$ $advance$ $their$ $advertising$ $expertise$? $Absolutely$. $Will$ $they$ $purposely$ $do$ $evil$ $things$ $that$ $would$ $jeopardize$ $the$ $integrity$ $of$ $your$ $identity$? $I$ $think$ $not$.

The other reason I trust Google is that they have never done me wrong. All they have done is provide great web based services for a great price (read: Free). This is not the case with other software companies who just want to charge you high prices for their closed services (read: Microsoft). Check out their philosophy.

The bottom line for me is that cloud based services are the future (for me the future is today) of computing. I believe my data should be accessible whenever I need it and not tied to one computer. The internet makes this a reality. Think of it like a bank, why do most people put their money in large banks? It's because they feel they have the resources to make sure your money is protected. That's how I feel with Google. They are large enough and competent enough to make sure my data is safe.

Google privacy page
    Last edited by dsei; 03/29/2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: add privacy link
    I care. A free price tag helps.

My security concerns aren't just about the provider's access to my content, but about who else can access it - including me.

So, we're slowly considering the do-it-yourself hardware/cloud options.

That said, whenever I think of how much of our existing e-mail information is already out there in the cloud, I feel like we've been missing the forest while focusing on the trees.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.