1.    #1  
    Is it possible to use a Bluetooth connection to connect one Treo/Centro to another Treo/Centro (or even a laptop) to get an Internet connection.

I'm very familiar with PdaNet and similar Palm OS (Garnet OS) applications that allow you to connect your laptop to your Treo/Centro over Bluetooth so that your laptop can can use the Internet connection of the Treo/Centro via DUN. What I am looking for is somewhat the opposite.

My son now uses my old Treo 680 to play music, games, movies, etc. but I no longer have a voice/data plan on that phone. I'm wondering if he could get an Internet connection on the Treo by using Bluetooth to connect to my Centro or my laptop?

I found this article on the Palm Knowledge Base but it seems very old and doesn't explain much after installing the files.

Any ideas or experience doing this?
    You can do so with a laptop which has BT

Howto: Bluetooth Internet with Windows XP
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    You can do so with a laptop which has BT

Howto: Bluetooth Internet with Windows XP
    Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about using PPP to connect to a Laptop/PC. I did that years ago using my Palm V. I'll have to give that a try again to connect the Treo to the laptop.

What I was really hoping to find was a way to connect a Treo 680 to a Centro (via Bluetooth) to use the Centro's internet connection. Anyone have any ideas on that?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I think the 680 is POS? If so the following applies. I have a similar situation with my 755, though my connection to the internet is actually through a Broadcom/WIDCOMM BT dongle using the "Network Access" profile.

Treo with data plan: usbmodem. PDANet will probably not work, but as I recall usbmodem provides the aforementioned "Network Access" profile. Your user name should be whatever you'd use with usbmodem, for me it is blank IIRC.

Treo without data plan: from the launcher,
    1) Preferences
    2) Connections
    a) New
    i) Name Bluetooth
    ii) To Local Network
    iii) via Bluetooth
    iv) Device : pick and set up the pairing on both ends
    v) Details: speed 57600, Flow automatic (I think this was default)
    vi) OK/OK
    b) Done
    3) Network
    a) Menu/Service/New (menu-N)
    i) Service Bluetooth
    ii) Connection Bluetooth
    iii) user/password: blank
    iv) Details
    A) Idle Timeout: 1 minute (default?)
    B) Advanced
    I) IP Automatic
    II) Query DNS Automatic
    III) Script
    a) Empty, or End:
    b) OK
    IV) OK
    C) OK
    v) Connect

If all is well you should be able to connect to the internet using everything but Blazer (I've used Xiino, Chatter, Kinoma, TomTom, etc.).

Since my 755 is not on the network, I leave it 'Off', so I get prompted frequently to connect to the network. I tell it no, then I get the Service Connection dialog, which is connecting to the Bluetooth network. Once that succeeds it just works for me, and the connection is persistent across resets. If you want to change back you can just return to Preferences/Network and select your provider profile (for me, "Power Vision"), and connect, and then it will use that as the default.

Good luck, please ask if you need any help and I'll try...
    The most common bluetooth usage for a Treo (Palm)is connecting it to a headphones/mircrophone set up. The second most popular thing to do with a Palm Treo is to hotsync using bluetooth.

After those two main usage things get tricky. Keyboards using bluetooth have sort of given up connecting with Palm Treos. If you have a Tungsten E-2 bluetooth is a better option to connect to the internet than a add on Wifi card. However for the old Treo 650 many people are satisfied in using the wifi sled add on. Wifi is after all can upload data faster than bluetooth.

The big question is if you are using a PC computer to connect by bluetooth, isn't it better to use the computer directly? After all the computer is faster and browses websites much better. If the Foleo was available it would give a better internet experience too. Hopefully something like the Celio Redfly will come for Palm....

Postscript: I was trying to use a cheap Bluetooth dongle and it uses solei software. The latest software is 6.0x (which I checked out) and they give you a 15 day evaluation period. Afterwards they will charge you around $20 and give you additional updates when they come along. I was able to hotsync my Tx but alas I was unable to surf (they limit upload usage on the trial edition) Maybe I need to use a different browser as tdchrone pointed out.
    Last edited by philpalm; 04/21/2009 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by philpalm View Post
    The most common bluetooth usage for a Treo (Palm)is connecting it to a headphones/mircrophone set up. The second most popular thing to do with a Palm Treo is to hotsync using bluetooth.

After those two main usage things get tricky.
    The BT in the Centro works great with my BMW iDrive and for transferrring contacts over to another cellphone or files to a PC or another smartphone.
    Any way to get Blazer to work with the bluetooth internet connection? I have everything else working now.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.