1.    #1  
    I've been using a Treo 650 for quite a few months. It has its quirks, but I think I'm now up to, say, 90% fan status.

Anyway. I'd like something newer. And I need some of you knowledgable folks to help me pick one out.

First and foremost, it needs to be an unlocked GSM phone. I use prepaid simcards and nothing else. Why? Because frankly, I rarely use a phone. Strange, I know...

Moreover, I'm mostly looking for a device which functions wonderfully as an mp3 player, and just so happens to be a phone too, haha. The Treo 650 is fine for an mp3 player, and I even did a ROM edit to allow SD cards larger than 2GB (currently using 8GB), but there are other issues with the phone that are rather annoying.

What would really be awesome is support for 16 or 32gb SDHC cards (or larger sizes in the future), and an 1/8" audio jack (this is something the 650 lacks which is really cumbersome). Are there any Palm products that fit the bill so far?

I see that some carry the PalmOS, while others have Win Mobile. Now since I'm new to all Palm products besides the 650, I'm not really sure which I'd like here. I tend to like to tweak and customize everything, so whichever OS can offer the most for apps, any kind of customizing, etc., that's what I'd like--you folks guide me to the right one. I will probably buy a heavy duty case with some sort of screen cover, so I would definitely prefer a way to use arrow keys/buttons to the move the cursor/make selections. I don't mind if it has a touch screen, but I'll never use it and it'll need full keypad/cursor support somehow. The reason for the "brick" case I put my phones in is my job environment.

Wifi support (whether built-in or somehow expandable) would be great but I can't say it's a requirement.

The main things that matter are unlocked GSM, and a great mp3 player app with full SDHC support--everything else is icing on the cake. Help me choose!
    I would recommend the unlocked GSM Treo Pro. Most that have that phone have good things to say and love it. Look up the specs, from what I see its exactly what you want.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
    Centro. No wi-fi or 1/8 jack, but fast and stable. You can do all kinds of customizations. There are some great phone and palm enhancement programs. Unofficially supports an micro sdhc card. Biggest is 16Gb. The 650 will feel like a brick in your hand compared to the Centro. It is the best PalmOS smartphone they have made. Of course is you want to go with WM, there are a number of options.
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Samsung Saga

its everything my treo always should have been
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    My recommendation is the Palm Centro which is a very solid and versatile phone.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I agree the the Centro is a very solid and versatile phone. The problem though is that the OS is dead. No future for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I agree the the Centro is a very solid and versatile phone. The problem though is that the OS is dead. No future for it.
    Yeah, the Palm OS is not going be be developed any more. However, there are thousands of applications that are available and many very nice ones. The Palm OS can do almost anything any other smartphone can do, with the exception of multi-tasking (overrated IMHO) and wi-fi. The Centro is stable and fast and a great size.
    If MP3 support is that important: iphone
    I came from a 650 to the Treo Pro. Didn't lose a thing. The Pro has what you're looking for. Go Pro.
    MP3 support - iPhone? Really? My Touch Pro does MP3s. Goodness.

Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    There was a time in the distant past I also thought that multi-tasking was over rated. Yep. Working on an spread sheet, the phone answers and goodness, back to the spread sheet and not everything that was there is there. Yep. Working with a HanDBase file and the same thing. One day I decided to WM and purchased one; I hated the slider, but gosh, I lost nothing. Though it worked, I still wanted to stay with the Centro and did just that. Purchased 3 of those things. One lovely day saw me loose 2 hours of data that I failed to force a write on and at that point, multi-tasking was no longer over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Yeah, the Palm OS is not going be be developed any more. However, there are thousands of applications that are available and many very nice ones. The Palm OS can do almost anything any other smartphone can do, with the exception of multi-tasking (overrated IMHO) and wi-fi. The Centro is stable and fast and a great size.
    Last edited by bclinger; 03/30/2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: One too many words
    Quote Originally Posted by kdbenoit View Post
    I would recommend the unlocked GSM Treo Pro. Most that have that phone have good things to say and love it. Look up the specs, from what I see its exactly what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Target View Post
    I came from a 650 to the Treo Pro. Didn't lose a thing. The Pro has what you're looking for. Go Pro.
    cdoasis,
    I'd also like to recommend the GTP

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...-ever-had.html
    Just call me Berd.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdoasis View Post
    ...The main things that matter are unlocked GSM, and a great mp3 player app with full SDHC support--everything else is icing on the cake.
    ...plus a can opener and soldering iron to get the SD card in??
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    OP requires an unlocked GSM phone.