Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was going to post this question on the end of someone elses thread, but didn't want to risk inadvertently hi-jacking it.

Who here started out with a pager before getting their first cell phone?

This may very well end up being a lop-sided poll with most people over 35 answering yes and those under answering no. Simply because people just didn't wise up and realize that there was no need in carrying around two devices until maybe around the mid to late late '90s. Or maybe it was because the first cell phones had no voice mail or caller id - (I'm speculating there) - and the usage plan rates were too high for what you got. I seem to recall something like $20 for 40-minutes.

I'm over 35 and I started with a pager. All my former "sky-pager" people holla back.
    I started with a pager at the same time I got my cel phone.

I mostly used my cell phone for out-going calls.

My how things have changed.

Good Lucik
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Motorola pager. Used to call back via pay phone, used a lot of change.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I started with a pager at the same time I got my cel phone.

I mostly used my cell phone for out-going calls.
    Same here. I never gave my cell phone number out because back in '84 the calls were 50 a minute. My first pager just beeped, no numbers, then I had one with numbers until around '97 or so. My wife still has one, but it gives complete text messages from the hospital she works for.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Never had a pager, but had a mobile phone since about 1988/9. SMS killed pagers in Europe early, as you all know.

My Dad had a pager in the early 70s when they were quite rare. It went off when he was in the bank once, during a cash delivery, and the guards, who had clearly never come across anything like this before, were quite agitated about it!
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    "I seem to recall something like $20 for 40-minutes."
    Turn that around, more like $40 for 20 minutes plus long distance charges PLUS roaming so the effective price in the 80's was easily a dollar a minute. Oh, and if you didn't pay $400-500 for the phone, you got in late.
    Compared to $40?/month for an alphapager with gobs of service and incredibly better coverage, which ran for a month on one battery instead of going back to a charging cradle every twelve hours...Come on now. The cell phone was a ridiculous expense for most of us, for a long long time. And, it couldn't fit in ANY pocket or on ANY belt.

Oh, you kids.<G>
    nope, I've never been that important.
    Just call me Berd.
    Started off with only a pager in the early 90s...

96 I was on a cell only...

2000 cell and pager...

2002 only cell...

2009 I have two cell phones and a pager... not sure if you would call it progress... but mine is out of necessity... and it sucks.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
    "I seem to recall something like $20 for 40-minutes."
    Turn that around, more like $40 for 20 minutes plus long distance charges PLUS roaming ...
    Yeah, now that you mention it, it was something rediculous like that. I only knew because a few people around me had them.

I remember borrowing my mom's Moto Star Tac flip-brick and being ever-so-cautious to make every second count when making a call. I seem to remember that going even 2-seconds into the next minute on a call counted as having "used" that minute.

I remember always rushing to hang up a call. Constantly reminding the person I was talking to that "I've only got X-minutes left...." Wow, we've come a long way.
    "I remember borrowing my mom's Moto Star Tac flip-brick"
    Nah. I think the "Micro Tac" was the last flip-brick as such, the StarTac series (a moment of silence for the dead, please) originally started at $1000 and they're about the size of of 1/2" thick business card--not a brick.

The cellular companies STILL round up for minutes (except a rare few smaller players) and their game was that the counter in the phone rounded DOWN while the billing rounded UP, so even if you looked at the number of minutes you used, you didn't know how many you had been billed for, and would probably run into overage if you relied on the numbers.

Now they just bill you for imaginary nickels and dimes.

And even worse, as Moto engineer said to me one day, these days no one cares about performance, average is good enough, they just want it to be tiny. With no antenna.

Moto can build better phones--the market just won't buy them.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    still using a pager. my place of employment doesn't allow camera phones.
    Doesn't allow...Hmm, want me to install a camera in your pager? Or, haven't they heard of pen cams?

If you're not going through a decontamination wash and a change of clothes...lord, I HATE folks who put on a dog and pony show and try to pass it off as security.

And a fluoroscope, to make sure you haven't swallowed any diamonds.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I was cleaning out my drawers the other day and found my old page - it still works and still receives messages...
  14.    #14  
    I didn't even pay for the pager I started out with. I won it in a free-style roller skating contest.
    I carried 2 pagers at once. One for work and one for personal. I didnt want my job to have my personal pager so I could "forget" to carry it when I didnt want them to bother me.
    Global Posts
    2,155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
    Doesn't allow...Hmm, want me to install a camera in your pager? Or, haven't they heard of pen cams?

If you're not going through a decontamination wash and a change of clothes...lord, I HATE folks who put on a dog and pony show and try to pass it off as security.

And a fluoroscope, to make sure you haven't swallowed any diamonds.
    The reason for not allowing camera phones is that you could take a picture and then immediately e-mail it. Everyone goes through a security portal before entering the controlled access area, where various security procedures are in effect. There are more security procedures than what is being discussed here.

By the way, I am one of those that you HATE because I am a Protective Force Officer in the security dept.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Never had a pager. I think it was pretty impractical to have. Plus it was pretty annoying to have something stuck in your belt that beeps and vibrates every time somebody calls.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
    I saved up and bought a pager when the nice thin and light motorola bravo came out somewhere in the late eighties. it was a huge step forward from the garage door opener sized earlier unit. the bravo was a numeric only pager. it would display up to five numbers and you could "lock" two numbers in memory so they wouldn't be overwritten by subsequent pages. I saved up and had to pay somewhere near $300 for the pager and two years of prepaid service through ameritech because I was 17 or 18 and had no credit. that took a long time when I was making $6.85 an hour. it really was a great pager and worked well only because there used to be payphones on every corner where you could talk forever on 20 and 25 cents. these were owned by the telcos themselves.
  19.    #19  
    Hey car designer, it's good to see another metro Detroiter on this forum. Which of the "Big"....er, uhhh...."Detroit 3" do you work at?

I do dealership design & architectural CGI (3D visualization) for Ford.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Motorola pager. Used to call back via pay phone, used a lot of change.
    Ditto. I'm a doctor. When I'd go running while on call, I'd put two quarters in my pocket, clip my pager to my shorts, and only run in parks where there were payphones! Cellphone was a good step forward, and getting Treo 650 (then 680) and never having beeper ever again was a great step forward.
    -- Josh
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast