Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like other medical people I used to have a pager, then when cell phones became smaller and easier to pocket, I ditched it. The downside is that there are sometimes coverage problems and you get disturbed by too many phone calls.

If the call is not important I would prefer a page or voice mail but if people call the phone then you have no choice but to pick up the phone. This can be quite disrupting at times.

So I have returned to using a pager of sorts.

What I did is to subscribe to a Voice to email service (which also provides a Fax to email service). I then instruct people to call this number if the message is not urgent, and it is delivered instantly to my email. As I use push email, this is very convenient.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Yeah, I had mine for probably 3 years. Early to mid 90's. I had the office answering machine set up to page me if somebody left me a message.

Ah, the days pre-email and cell phones!
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneOfLove View Post
    Yeah, I had mine for probably 3 years. Early to mid 90's. I had the office answering machine set up to page me if somebody left me a message.

Ah, the days pre-email and cell phones!
    I haven't uses one in around 5 years

I still have my Motorola satellite pager, it was pricey $69 dollars a month; cost could be higher maybe.
    Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    I am 33, and I got my first pager when I was about 16. My granddad has always been a gadget guy. I remember him having a metal Motorola pager than just blasted out a "voicemail" twice after a few loud beeps. His first "cell phone" was some sort of walky talky looking device. You dialed it just like a phone and could call anyone, but you had to press a button to talk. The other person also had to wait for the roger beep before they could respond. The first real "car" phone was in 89, I guess. I think it was $50 a month for 25 minutes. It would not work hardly anywhere. My first handheld cell was the huge Motorola that looked like a bowling pin. Then I had a multitude of Motorola MicroTac's. Then I had a couple of Audiovox candy bar phones and a Sony that you slid the earpiece up to answer. I also had a few StarTac's and the first Vader.

I can't help from being a phone geek. I've grown up with it.
    Pager (Motorola) for my geek work as a TSE. It was a glorified leash for my boss to tug when he needed me.

Now I have a smartphone so he can call/email/text <sigh>
    Last edited by evilduckster; 04/06/2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    No pager as a high schooler or college kid. When i was younger I had a Quarter placed in my key fob in case I broke down and needed to use a pay phone somewhere.

Our Hospital still utilizes pagers. Everyone also carries a cell phone and many carry a Hospital issued blackberry. If I have a light clinic day(with free time to listen to music) I carry my 755p, pager and ipod touch in my pockets
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12