Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #2  
    Any Suspects?
    Just call me Berd.
  2. #3  
    Someone with $5M worth of Pre is going to sell in eBay!
  3. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #4  
    So that's why the Sprint Treo Pro was so late
  4. #5  
    Good <<edited by berd - please don't try and fool the filters>> That should help their bottom line. As if things couldn`t possibly get worse for this crew.

    Bad news bears, move over. Palm`s taking new ownership of that name.
    Last edited by berdinkerdickle; 03/20/2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: language
  5. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    So that's why the Sprint Treo Pro was so late
    Could be. They have to replace what was lost.
  6. #7  
    Wow. That's really serious. Crime <ugh> and 5 million dollars!
  7. #8  
    I was reading on another website that PALM might be a suspect in the robbery, the motive being to use the theft for the purpose of writing off $5M. The article said that authorities became suspicious when it was discovered that the stolen inventory was comprised of nothing but Foleo's and Foleo accessories.


    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
  8. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Flagging a million or two million stolen phones would be a bit complex and not necessarily done immediately.

    Here is what we know for facts:
    • $5 million in Palm handsets stolen from Palm while in the hands of a distributor or HTC in or around January or February.
    • It is not a certainty but good possiblity thsse were Pros given the Pro delay and we know they were not Pre.
    • $5 million at Palms cost basis is probably 1.5 million handsets give or take 500,000 if Pro.


    Palm had received no insurance payment for the loss a month later meaning it is possibly still being investigated and the insurance company may expect some portion to be recovered .

    For all we know the insurance company recovered 1.3 million out of 1.5 million stolen (what ever the cost basis is on $5 million dollars for Palm) and it all needs a lot of sorting out that could take six months.

    We are talking about the biggest if not one of the biggest handsets thefts in history. It was a theft of Palm right at the time of the delay of the Pro distribution. It not a certainty that it is related but it is a very real possiblity.
    Do you have hard evidence of a crime? There has been no press coverage of this theft. A robbery involving that many phones, the publicity alone would have warned anyone buying those phones to be wary. My understanding was they suffered a loss. That could mean the container carrying the phones was damaged, or lost at sea. It could have leaked and damaged them. They could be in a container mislabled on a dock somewhere. Unless you have concrete evidence of a crime, you shouldn't be reporting it as fact.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  9. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Do you have hard evidence of a crime? There has been no press coverage of this theft. A robbery involving that many phones, the publicity alone would have warned anyone buying those phones to be wary. My understanding was they suffered a loss. That could mean the container carrying the phones was damaged, or lost at sea. It could have leaked and damaged them. They could be in a container mislabled on a dock somewhere. Unless you have concrete evidence of a crime, you shouldn't be reporting it as fact.
    Are you saying Palm reported it as theft even though it may have been containers lost at sea? Where do you get that? That is a heck of an accusation against Palm!

    Palm says it was a "theft." I have used the wrong numbers of a million phones (lol it is more like 20,000 phones), but it is a $4,982,000 theft reported to the SEC by Palm in their conference call transcripts.

    I don't know where you get containers lost or damaged at sea since Palm says uses the word "theft" in their filing.

    A five million dollar "theft" right before the announcement of the Treo Pro delay.
    Last edited by aero; 04/24/2009 at 09:00 PM.
  10. chong67's Avatar
    Posts
    956 Posts
    Global Posts
    983 Global Posts
    #11  
    Its just a SEC filing that the phone are stolen?

    Any article out there that say at least what happen?
    Dell x51v → Motorola Q (Verizon) → Mogul → 800w → Treo Pro → Touch Pro 2 (SERO) → HTC EVO 3D → HTC EVO 4G LTE → HTC One S → Nexus 4
  11. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by chong67 View Post
    Its just a SEC filing that the phone are stolen?
    Any article out there that say at least what happen?
    Just under $5 million in inventory was stolen in a theft within the third quarter (Dec 08, Jan. 09 Feb 09). As of late March they had not gotten the insurance payment
  12. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Are you saying Palm reported it as theft even though it may have been containers lost at sea? Where do you get that? That is a heck of an accusation against Palm!

    Palm says it was a "theft." I have used the wrong numbers of a million phones (lol it is more like 20,000 phones), but it is a $4,982,000 theft reported to the SEC by Palm in their conference call transcripts.

    I don't know where you get containers lost or damaged at sea since Palm says uses the word "theft" in their filing.

    A five million dollar "theft" right before the announcement of the Treo Pro delay.
    As noted correctly here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tr...ml#post1588409


    there is no way to know what was stolen.

    Basically, you and many others have invented this myth of "stolen pro phones."

    In addition, even if there were stolen phones, I'd be very careful attempting to place a number reported to an insurance company... that is a WAG as well.

    This is what is stated in the filing of april:


    Casualty loss $ 4,982 $ $ 4,982 $ 4,982 $ $ 4,982
    Percentage of revenues 5.5 % % 0.8 % %


    During the third quarter of fiscal year 2009, certain of our smartphone products, with a recorded inventory value of $5.0 million, were stolen from one of our third-party-operated warehouses. As a result, we recorded a casualty loss for this amount in our results of operations for the three and nine months ended February 28, 2009. The loss is expected to be covered under our insurance policy. We are currently pursuing recovery of the loss. Any recoveries we receive in future periods will be recorded as a casualty recovery during the period in which we receive the proceeds.


    For some reason I don't see the palm pro or a version of anything....
    Last edited by theog; 04/25/2009 at 11:45 AM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    there is no way to know what was stolen.

    Basically, you and many others have invented this myth of "stolen pro phones."
    Excuse me I was responding to the claim that it could have been a ship container sinking and the claim here that it was not stolen material when What Palm clearly reported was "THEFT" not merely a undetermined casualty loss.

    For example this strage accusation:
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    My understanding was they suffered a loss. That could mean the container carrying the phones was damaged, or lost at sea. It could have leaked and damaged them. They could be in a container mislabled on a dock somewhere. Unless you have concrete evidence of a crime, you shouldn't be reporting it as fact.
    We know it was theft and not damage.

    The person above is using WAG or accusing palm of defrauding the insurance company since their official filings state "THEFT."

    As far as the whether it was Palm Pro, I have stated it is a good possibility since that is what would have primarily been in Palms third party distribution channels at the time, but never stated it as an absolute.

    From the timing of the theft reported to the SEC and the insurance company and claimed as theft by Palms CFO, It is a a very good possibility those were Palm Pros.

    A $5 million theft in January or February and a delay of the Pro at that time is a strong indicator of a possible relationship
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Excuse me I was responding to the claim that it could have been a ship container sinking and the claim here that it was not stolen material when What Palm clearly reported was "THEFT" not merely a undetermined casualty loss.

    For example this strage accusation:


    We know it was theft and not damage.

    The person above is using WAG or accusing palm of defrauding the insurance company since their official filings state "THEFT."

    As far as the whether it was Palm Pro, I have stated it is a good possibility since that is what would have primarily been in Palms third party distribution channels at the time, but never stated it as an absolute.

    From the timing of the theft reported to the SEC and the insurance company and claimed as theft by Palms CFO, It is a a very good possibility those were Palm Pros.

    A $5 million theft in January or February and a delay of the Pro at that time is a strong indicator of a possible relationship
    I would be very careful in what you are accusing me of. I am not making any claims that Palm was defrauding anyone. I was simply stating what my understanding was at the time, as well as saying what a loss could be. I'm not using conjucture and terms like "a good possibility" or "very good possbility" or "strong indicator" or "a million phones" or anything like that to state my case. Just like Joe Friday, I only deal with facts. Anything else is just conjecture, open to interpretation and debate. I'm not stubborn enough that I can't admit I'm wrong, or have my mind changed. But since this is an open forum for a free exchange of opinions, I don't like being misquoted, or having a quote taken out of context, especially when you label it as a "strange accusation".
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C View Post
    I was reading on another website that PALM might be a suspect in the robbery, the motive being to use the theft for the purpose of writing off $5M. The article said that authorities became suspicious when it was discovered that the stolen inventory was comprised of nothing but Foleo's and Foleo accessories.


    Do you have a link to that website? That would make for some interesting reading.

    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  16. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I would be very careful in what you are accusing me of. ".
    For someone accusing people of violating ebays policy for things not forbidden by ebay I don't understand your point.

    As far as the theft. I mentioned theft because Palm called it that. You said there was not any statement of theft. I showed you that there was.

    Your conjecture and incorrect accusations made no sense.
  17. #18  
    The most rational of several possibilities is Stolen Sprint Pros. Those were what was specifically at" third party sites" which is where Palm said they were stolen from, and being moved all around exactly at the time of the theft. Indeed Palm owned Pros in the thousands were being moved from at least four "Third party warehouses right at that time. (HTC, HTC rom flash contractor, brightpoint and BB)

    On top of that, the delay in release of the Pro occurred exactly at that time.
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    For someone accusing people of violating ebays policy for things not forbidden by ebay I don't understand your point.

    As far as the theft. I mentioned theft because Palm called it that. You said there was not any statement of theft. I showed you that there was.

    Your conjecture and incorrect accusations made no sense.
    You know, I've had it with this. This is the last post I'm ever going to make on this site!! I don't know what your problem is with me, but you seem to have to prove that no matter what I say, you go out of your way to prove that I'm wrong, or misquoting a site, or in general, making yourself look better and superior to me with your (alleged) knowledge and experience. I don't know if I've said or done anything to cause you to single me out. If I did, it wasn't intentional, and it certainly wasn't personal. If you're offended, I apologize. But it's not only me, you do it to other members as well. I've reached my breaking point. This site is a great place to exchange information and ideas and experiences. I hope others will continue to enjoy it. But not me, not any more. So rather that say or do something that will get me banned from here forever, I'm just going to go somewhere else.


    So long, saddle pals.......
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)



    "When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  19. #20  
    Moved the 'Stolen Sprint Treo Pro's Theory posts to this thread.
    Just call me Berd.

Posting Permissions