Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    i had an NEC cellstar on cellular one in 1992. i then moved to a motorola startac on GTE mobilnet in 1996. i managed to convince the salesperson to sell me the startac about a week before its official release date. i think i paid around $1600 for the thing! :O
    My journey: PalmPilotPro->PalmPilotIIIx->Treo300->Treo600->Treo650->Treo755p->Pre->FrankenPre2
    My first phone was the Motorola MicroTAC in 92 or 93. Can't really remember... but then I had to move so I got a MicroTAC lite (I think was the name).
    Nokia 6110 - Full phone specifications
    This was my very first cell phone. I got it in 2001 during my freshman year of high school in the Spring. Back then I had T-Mobile but it was called VoiceStream at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Verizon Motorola V60i
    http://f3c.yahoofs.com/shopping/3122..._____DS4go2k4P http://www.wirefly.com/images/phones...verizon_z1.jpg

I loved that freaking thing, it was simple, small, unbreakable (metal replaceable cases), and always did its job right with reception everywhere.
    Well, except for the antenna which broke ALL. THE. TIME.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Qualcom ( that brick one) about 10 years back.
    Then Samsung SPH3500 which had a voice activated dialing.
    Sanyo 4920
    Sanyo Katana

Now Treo 800W
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    And in between there was this rare
    HITACHI made Hitachi P300
    http://www.sprint.com/pcsbusiness/de...tachip300.html
  7. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Read the press release of HITACHI

News Releases : Hitachi in U.S.A.

Specifically this line "The P300 launched today by Sprint (NYSE: FON, PCS) also features a light sensor to automatically adjust the ringer volume when tucked away in a pocket or purse"

Big deal for all the iPhone and even Pre announces they invented a ground breaking technology.
    The light sensors or call it proximity sensors ( by tweaking it)
    are around circa 2002.
    My first cellphone was my Treo 650! And I'm 31....
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by laravia18 View Post
    Nokia 6110 - Full phone specifications
    This was my very first cell phone. I got it in 2001 during my freshman year of high school in the Spring. Back then I had T-Mobile but it was called VoiceStream at the time.
    Same here! (Gotta love Snake 1.0) but I got it on ATT, Before they merged with PacBell who became Cingular who became ATT who became Cingular again who is now the "New" ATT" Worst cell phone company I have ever delt with.

Edit: now that I think of it, I had a Motorola StarTAC but I don't remember if it was before or after the 6100.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Same here! (Gotta love Snake 1.0) but I got it on ATT, Before they merged with PacBell who became Cingular who became ATT who became Cingular again who is now the "New" ATT" Worst cell phone company I have ever delt with.

Edit: now that I think of it, I had a Motorola StarTAC but I don't remember if it was before or after the 6100.
    Yeah I was with AT&T for some time, infact that is who I had my first StarTac with, then I lost that one ended up with some peice of junk, to go with AT&Ts junk service (At the Time)
    Terry
    An Ericsson CF688 back in 1996 - it was small! It was even smaller after I ran over it with my car!
    Nokia 6650 (Nokia's first 3G phone) from 4 years ago..., quickly jumped to the Treo 650, within a few months. The 6650's UI was quiet horrible, though the phone was good, and voice quality excellent, especially the speakerphone.
    London, england 1996... I don't remember the name of the phone or the company... lol... everyone had phones there, it was strange coming from the states and seeing so many people with cellphones....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    Quote Originally Posted by RickMG View Post
    My first mobile phone was back in 1984. I paid $1200 for a 3 watt transportable from Radio Shack. I had the large part installed in the trunk and the handset installed in the car so it looked permanent, but you could unhook the handset and the unit, screw on an antenna and take it anywhere that you could take a 10 pound lunch box. Here's a photo of what it looked like:
    http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~ftp/modific...t/r58pieni.gif
    $1,200 for a phone back in '84? GOOD NIGHT! You obviously were a high-roller. I seriously have trouble justifying 1/2 that for a phone right here in 2009.

Reminds me of Gordon Gecko. The character played by Michael Douglas in 1987's "Wall Street" (great movie).

Look at how Douglas' hand is completely wraped around that beast. And even still, he can only manage to grip little more than half it's circumference. WOW, technology sure has changed. Those kinds of phones you could only look cool with while talking. Otherwise, you look like a complete ***** just walking around with one in your fist, because there's no way it's going in a shirt pocket. LOL!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Renderhaus; 03/21/2009 at 08:03 PM.
    That "GordonGecko"-type phone was my second cell (I still have it).

http://i44.tinypic.com/2n6u82c.jpg

http://s5.tinypic.com/30sadzn.jpg

While these pics have the car adapter, it also ran on a battery. Imagine using the leather belt clip and strapping this behemoth to your waist! It could pull your pants down to embarrassing levels!

My first was a bag phone, the handset literally clipped into the transceiver which was attached to a soft bag about the size of a large dictionary. I do not think it ever ran on battery, just on the cig lighter adapter.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    $1,200 for a phone back in '84? GOOD NIGHT! You obviously were a high-roller. I seriously have trouble justifying 1/2 that for a phone right here in 2009.
    I haven't checked my credit card statement lately, as far as I know, I might still be paying for it.

I also had the one you show in the photo of Michael Douglas, as well as two others that looked just like it only each one got thinner. Back in the '80s there wasn't a two year wait between phones, I actually would trade them in everytime a new smaller one came out, just add to your contract. You could even have two different phone numbers on the phone with two different carriers (I never did), but it had 'A' and 'B' bands, which was like having GSM & CDMA now, but on the same phone. I also once had two phones with the same number, but only one could be on at a time. I don't have any of those first phones because they'd always make me give them the old one to get the new one.

Edit: Just went downstairs and found this book I bought a few years after I got my first phone because it had it on the cover and featured it inside. Very interesting look back as well as some good humor included. Here are links to how the book looked along with how the phone looked in the car and in the trunk.

What happened to the photos that were showing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RickMG; 03/23/2009 at 08:28 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Moto StarTAC!
    gosh... it's the sony ericsson t68
    OMG LOL!!!! Yes I do...I still have it too! It was the Motorola that people called the "Brick" Medium gray, very large with long black antenna'''''folloed by the Star Tac flip phone!!!
    motorola v3- treo 650- treo680

hoping to move to the pre or iphone 3g some day
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast