Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It never ceases to amaze me that tech writers and tech reports in numerous publications always write that Apple has innovated and invented so many abilities on their products. The latest to get under my skin is the report in last week's Economist going on and on about how apple invented the ability to download applications to a mobile device (which I did with my Treo 600 in 2004, maybe even in 2003), stream video (which I have done for at least the past couple of years with Kinoma), use the web (again, back to 2003 or 2004), etc. etc. etc.

OK, POS is on the way out. But POS has been a leader for years. It deserves recognition for that.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    I hear ya.
    Did the Economist article add the word "elegantly" to all those claims. That would probably be enough to make the article's claims factual.
    Too bad. That's the way it goes. Its what palm gets for doing jack sh@t for 5-6 yrs. Other companies eat their lunch for them. Palm sat on their asses and failed to update their OS since the Eisenhower years, so apple gets the recognition.

Tough cookies.
    Palm's last draw is the Pre. If they bungle this up, its curtains for them regardless of what originality they had. They will be forgotten and Apple will be credited for whatever could be attributed to Palm.
    Don't fight it. Just buy an iphone and ipod like everyone else and be happy.

My son wants an ipod. I told him: "I bought you a phone that you carry with you all the time and it plays music very well. Why do you want to carry another device around?" But a Centro isn't as cool as an ipod...
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Same here, my in-law wants to be able to write down notes as her shopping list and I told her that she can do it right on the Treo. She complains and wants an iPhone because its got a larger screen and then adds "I am an Apple user".

My daughter wants an iPhone too because it has bigger capacity than the 2G SD card that she's got.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me that tech writers and tech reports in numerous publications always write that Apple has innovated and invented so many abilities on their products. The latest to get under my skin is the report in last week's Economist going on and on about how apple invented the ability to download applications to a mobile device (which I did with my Treo 600 in 2004, maybe even in 2003), stream video (which I have done for at least the past couple of years with Kinoma), use the web (again, back to 2003 or 2004), etc. etc. etc.

OK, POS is on the way out. But POS has been a leader for years. It deserves recognition for that.
    ::cough::

Out of the two big handheld devices I don't think it was POS that was the first to have close to full web, streaming video, etc but the big M
  9.    #9  
    I sure don't want an Iphone; I really like my Centro. Sure, Palm waited to upgrade software and hardware unncesarily over the years; I remember installing more memory on a Palm Pilot years ago. But I also installed more memory on my Radio Shack Color Computer, when you had cut wires and solder to to that. I agree it's not a winning strategy; neither is charging $600 for one of these devices, though that's what I paid for my Treo 600 when it came out.

The Economist did not say "elegantly"...

I know someone who "is an Apple user" and wants an Iphone. FWIW, that person has difficulty using email.

But I do wish T-Mobile would speed up Edge.

Can you flash the Iphone's ROM? No. Third-party apps? Apple promises to make it easier. But Palm is waiting with the Pre and it looks like they will charge too much. It was a decent ride while it lasted.
    Shneor
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    The Economist did not say "elegantly"...
    A pity - I'm sure that's what they meant.
    OK, group - here's my two cents' worth about Treos and iPhones. I have tried to keep an open mind about both Palm and Apple.

I own a battlescarred (the antenna is missing!) Treo 650 and LOVE it. Just now, I am trying to buy one off of eBay for less than $100! I tried some of the WinDoze flavors of the Palm and simply hated those because they were so SLOW when searching my 2,500+ contacts and notes! The Treo 650 simply does what I need for a business environment, does it well and very FAST! The only two things I hate about the Treo are the small screen size and the web browser.

Now, enter the iPhone. I finally broke down and bought a 3G model, and there are things about it that I really like, as well as things I really hate. For example, I like the large screen and the ability to quickly zoom in to the web browser! And I love the Shazzam program that can tell you what song you are listening to! Installing programs is easy, and some of the titles are really cool.

But the iPhone does NOT have a global or universal search feature, nor does it have even a basic cut-and-paste ability, both of which I MUST have in my work environment, and it does not have stereo bluetooth (I read somewhere that it already has the chip installed, but lacks the proper Codec...what is it called....A2DP or something like that). Features that I took for granted with the Treo, such as the ability to group phone numbers together often require the installation of yet another program! Ring Tones are a pain too - I finally figured out how to make my own instead of paying Apple to make them for me. I also strongly dislike having to use a wireless hub and jump through several electronic hoops in order to put programs or "stuff" on my iPhone. With the Treo, all I had to do was drag some files to the installer, then plop it in the cradle and push a button! Also on the "Dislike" list is the inability to see my contacts or notes on my PC - iTunes does not have this kind of functionality like the Palm Desktop has!

As of this writing, I am planning to go back to the Treo 650 and wait for the Palm Pre with crossed fingers. I will give my 3G to my wife, who simply loves her iPhone!

As one of the previous writers put it, Palm MUST get the new Pre "right", and I can't wait to get my hands on one.
    I have an old Treo 650 that I will sell for $50 if you are interested. Spare battery, too!

Some paint is missing, but it works fine (it is GSM).
    Another thing that apple invented it seems, Pod came out before the word podium and thus Apple is sending a C&D letter to the company making the Podium accesory for the iPod. Aggghh, they are so arrogant and I used to like Apple, I love my little touch but come on. Their ego is just.... Well it can't be put into words. Oh yeah, the story is from TUAW, I'd post the link but I'm on my mobile now.
  14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But the iPhone does NOT have a global or universal search feature, nor does it have even a basic cut-and-paste ability, both of which I MUST have in my work environment, and it does not have stereo bluetooth
    Well it's about to get 2 out of 3 of those.

The bottom line is that the best phone is the one that people buy the most of. The iphone is currently the best phone on the market on that basis. Leaving that aside, even with all of it's problems, it unified experience (GUI + itunes + app store + tunes store) is light-years ahead of it's competition for the guy in the street. Does it suit every user scenario that people like us present?

No - but we's atypical, we want to fiddle and do all sorts of odd things.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The bottom line is that the best phone is the one that people buy the most of.
    That certainly is not my definition of best phone.

So what's the best food? Macca's?
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The bottom line is that the best phone is the one that people buy the most of. The iphone is currently the best phone on the market on that basis.
    I'm sure the best selling phone in the world is an entry level Nokia
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    That certainly is not my definition of best phone.

So what's the best food? Macca's?
    It's best in the sense that's the path technical evolution will follow - betamax was a superior format and that died, HD-DVD died.
    I might be alone (don't think that I am though), but I do not regard the Pre as being based on the iPhone. I see it as the obvious form factor if you want a device of a reasonable size with a larger screen and physical keyboard. And a couple of the Appleisms that are there are definitely to the detriment of what could have been. (no D-pad, no SD card)
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I might be alone (don't think that I am though), but I do not regard the Pre as being based on the iPhone. I see it as the obvious form factor if you want a device of a reasonable size with a larger screen and physical keyboard. And a couple of the Appleisms that are there are definitely to the detriment of what could have been. (no D-pad, no SD card)
    Is that true? No storage card? That makes the device so much less useful that I'll stick with my Centro.
    Shneor
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Apple has just getting so much rep from that article probably because they (the Economist) just wanted to get on the bandwagon and get some free ipods and iphones.
    Using a Centro with free ActiveSync at http://www.TheMessageCenter.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast