Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I didn't see crogs post as jumping down anyone's throut.
    ahh...good to know (for reference I mean, not for him). The ASAP comment made me wonder. Sounds like a great improvement over the 800 It's gotta stink when you just can't win. Hopefully things won't happen in threes because he'll have one more to go after the draining battery one.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    Actually, his cracks were no fault of his own.
    And he did report them the minute they occurred.
    The Gsm Treo Pro Crack issue was quite a big issue with early batches.
    Some who suffered from the crack issue got a replacement from Palm, which then the replacement later developed cracks also.
    He now is dealing with a battery drain issue that a few members have also reported, myself included.

(The above mentioned issues already have their dedicated thread.)

For some reason, he has had a really bad string of luck.
    And with all this he also had the misfortune of getting an uncooperative service rep.

He is ticked, and rightfully so.
    This thread is his Vent.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Out here in Taiwan, Palm's customer service is quite legendary. As long as you're not demanding for a brand new phone, Palm will swap a refurbished phone pretty much on the spot at a prearranged time.
    Okay, but to make this thread useful, we should get back to the Pre. OP said we should expect to see his experience on the Pre.

I think someone will undoubtedly be unlucky with the Pre and experience some issue. Like it or not, it seems that all new mass-manufactured products have some issues. All the bugs in manufacturing don't get fully worked out until they've had a whole bunch run through the system and they've been out in the real world. It's just life.

Do you suppose Palm will create a new customer service experience to go with the new phone?
    Minor bugs maybe, but Palm has a bad habit of making customers beta testers.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    back to topic? Like this thread is useful? The guy cross posts on forums to pretty much just rant about his bad experience with the Pro. It's not like quality hasn't been topic already being discussed in other threads. So why does it need to be entertained in this particular thread that was obviously created because the guy has a lot of pent up frustration?

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Okay, but to make this thread useful, we should get back to the Pre. OP said we should expect to see his experience on the Pre.

I think someone will undoubtedly be unlucky with the Pre and experience some issue. Like it or not, it seems that all new mass-manufactured products have some issues. All the bugs in manufacturing don't get fully worked out until they've had a whole bunch run through the system and they've been out in the real world. It's just life.

Do you suppose Palm will create a new customer service experience to go with the new phone?
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Have to agree. Not everyone has a perfect experience with any company or product. Sorry about his luck and all, but it happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    back to topic? Like this thread is useful? The guy cross posts on forums to pretty much just rant about his bad experience with the Pro. It's not like quality hasn't been topic already being discussed in other threads. So why does it need to be entertained in this particular thread that was obviously created because the guy has a lot of pent up frustration?
    I think my point was that this is a forum about the Pre, and if this thread is still in the Pre forum, it should be about the Pre. And it certainly could be about the Pre, because no matter how well something is made, 99.99% of a million still leaves a hundred or so people with frustrating issues.

So, when in 6 months this guy buys a Pre and the screen goes black on him, how will Palm handle it? I haven't seen any real discussions of quality in this forum other than "the 700p was crap!" which is not terribly fruitful.

I think Palm is becoming something else, and I expect that they'll handle the Pre differently from their other products. But then, I'm an optimist.
    Okay, looks like it's no longer in the Pre forum. I no longer have a point.
    If Palm has become something else, why did they screw up the release of the CDMA Pro?

The recalled batch seemed to have too little RAM, which Palm did before and that means they didn't learn.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    If Palm has become something else, why did they screw up the release of the CDMA Pro?

The recalled batch seemed to have too little RAM, which Palm did before and that means they didn't learn.
    Well, Palm honestly has nothing to do with the Treo Pro, but really, it's got the same amount of RAM as the GSM version, they're just being forced to use Pocket IE6 which includes Flash but hogs a ton of resources apparently.
    So Palm didn't give HTC the specs to use?

And shouldn't they have known to add more RAM for Pocket IE6? MSFT warned that it would be intense. They should be on top of these things.

And shouldn't they have known to add more RAM for Pocket IE6? MSFT warned that it would be intense. They should be on top of these things.
    Well, obviously nobody but Palm and HTC know about that. And from what I read, only very recently did Microsoft release an AKU update for WM that required the newest Pocket IE. It could've been that they were originally planning to have it be identical to the GSM version and were forced to update at the last minute, who knows.
    I just don't think it looks good to have constant release glitches. How many Treos in a row is this with glitches now?

I don't mean the minor things. Like someone else said, that's normal. I mean stuff that really annoys consumers.

Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I'm sure the changes to the Sprint Treo Pro were at Sprints request rather than Palm's.

It's not just a Palm thing, RIM had the same issue with the Storm when it launched/didn't launch on Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    ^ You keep advocating Goat.

Back in the little heck town where I grew up, we had a late 70's saying; "Peace, Love, and Led Zeppelin"

btw. I have the Box Set.

Well, that brings to mind one of my favorite quotes: "There is NOTHING like a Grateful Dead concert, period".

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."

Honestly, the "ram issue" is not really much of an issue. WM6.1 has pretty good memory management and for enterprise users, it'll be fine.

The real "problem" is that IE6 is just a terrible release from MS--but the market demanded those changes and MS tried to deliver. IE6 is a RAM hog and no matter if you have 200mb of RAM, it'll still cause problems. The Sprint Treo Pro is a really solid WM device (even though I personally don't care for it). In my time with it, I saw no evidence of any software bugs (forgetting IE6 of course).

Cracks in the body is a manufacturing issues and HTC is in charge of delivering the goods for Palm. It seems to have been an isolated problem related to a specific run.

Finally, every company has goofs. HTC has had some major screw ups too, same with Motorola. Difference is Palm has so few phones that their issues stick out like a sore thumb, where HTC/Moto, etc can bury theirs with a ton of releases.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12