Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Oop... Oooooooooopp. Down the slippery slope goes palm....


    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/2441-1.htm
  2. #2  
    Nothing unexpected (by me) there. Everybody knows that the furture relies on the release of the Pre.
    Last edited by johncc; 03/06/2009 at 07:17 PM.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Nothing unexpected there. Everybody knows that the furture relies on the release of the Pre.
    Actually the amount of revenue fall was completely unexpected and close to half of what Palm had predicted in its most recent prior guidance.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Nothing unexpected there. Everybody knows that the furture relies on the release of the Pre.
    The economy will hamper the success of the Pre, regardless of how well executed it is. It will certainly sell, but returns will not be as substantial as they would have been a few years earlier. Jobs lost, subscriptions cancelled, fewer customers financially able to buy or upgrade. There is no getting around the fact that palm will be hurt regardless.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Actually the amount of revenue fall was completely unexpected and close to half of what Palm had predicted in its most recent prior guidance.
    Yep.
  6. #6  
    They'll probably have worse results next quarter when the Osborne Effect kicks in due to Palm's premature announcement of the Pre.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    They'll probably have worse results next quarter when the Osborne Effect kicks in due to Palm's premature announcement of the Pre.
    Yes but you will notice that Palm is spinning that the past quarter plummet was because of the Pre affecting the prime revenue expectations of the 800w, Pro GSM and Pro CDMA. This is complete rubbish. Those failures had nothing to do with Pre.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes but you will notice that Palm is spinning that the past quarter plummet was because of the Pre affecting the prime revenue expectations of the 800w, Pro GSM and Pro CDMA. This is complete rubbish. Those failures had nothing to do with Pre.
    No kidding - only a portion of the quarter they're reporting on was after the Pre announcement. This NEXT quarter (the one we're currently in) will be impacted by the Pre "wait-n-see" potential customers... and full, clogged, stagnant inventory channels of the Treo Pro.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    Yes but you will notice that Palm is spinning that the past quarter plummet was because of the Pre affecting the prime revenue expectations of the 800w, Pro GSM and Pro CDMA. This is complete rubbish. Those failures had nothing to do with Pre.
    We all know that is BS....

    The 800 is low because it sucked...

    Pro is low because no one (hardly) can get one...

    As I've said in the past, Palm's management is going to kill it...

    At any rate, the Pre might be the MOST important release in their entire history, outside of the first Palm Pilot...

    Everything is riding on the Pre... and they would be in great shape if not for the iphone and the assault Google is plotting with Android....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    We all know that is BS....
    The 800 is low because it sucked...
    Pro is low because no one (hardly) can get one...
    As I've said in the past, Palm's management is going to kill it...
    At any rate, the Pre might be the MOST important release in their entire history, outside of the first Palm Pilot...
    Everything is riding on the Pre... and they would be in great shape if not for the iphone and the assault Google is plotting with Android....
    I agree somewhat with your point. the 800w wasn't just about having problems but about it being finecked until the delays pushed it further and further back (palms fault or not).

    My point was that the carrier negotiations on all these devices would have 12 to six months before the Pre announcement.

    All "guidance" by companies on news substantially below revenue expectations is BS spin, so I don't blame Palm them one bit for selling the spin, but I am flabbergasted at the number of serious news outlets that just stupidly printed Palms claim of Osborne effect (naming it or not) without it pulling out a calender and seeing that the claim was absurd.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    We all know that is BS....

    The 800 is low because it sucked...

    Pro is low because no one (hardly) can get one...

    As I've said in the past, Palm's management is going to kill it...

    At any rate, the Pre might be the MOST important release in their entire history, outside of the first Palm Pilot...

    Everything is riding on the Pre... and they would be in great shape if not for the iphone and the assault Google is plotting with Android....

    But let`s face it. There wouldn`t have been a Pre if not for the iphone. We all can see that palm basically stole from the iphone design, multitouch, etc etc in order to save themselves from immediate ruin. Some software variations and slightly different handling of data, keyboard obviously, but you are basically looking at a souped up iphone in the Pre.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    But let`s face it. There wouldn`t have been a Pre if not for the iphone. We all can see that palm basically stole from the iphone design, multitouch, etc etc in order to save themselves from immediate ruin. Some software variations and slightly different handling of data, keyboard obviously, but you are basically looking at a souped up iphone in the Pre.
    I said "basically" what you said in another thread days ago. All these companies feed off each other and others... Although, I think "stole" is a bit harsh. Not even sure I'd call the pre a souped up iphone either... although, I'll admit, I've never played with a pre, so I'm not certain.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    software variations and slightly different handling of data, keyboard obviously, but you are basically looking at a souped up iphone in the Pre.
    What could be more fundamentally different than the WebOS card interface on a multi-tasking device with a physical keyboard. Everybody builds on past developments (even Apple). And that is as it should be.
  14.    #14  
    I'm just saying that the Pre was a CLEAR use of apple's blueprint. If apple had robbed palm's treo form factor, we'd have never heard the end of it.

    Sure technology builds on past achievements, but the Pre is VERY CLEARLY a takeoff of the iphone model. Palm succumbed to the success of apple and is following their lead. There's no two ways about it.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by treosensei View Post
    I'm just saying that the Pre was a CLEAR use of apple's blueprint. If apple had robbed palm's treo form factor, we'd have never heard the end of it.

    Sure technology builds on past achievements, but the Pre is VERY CLEARLY a takeoff of the iphone model. Palm succumbed to the success of apple and is following their lead. There's no two ways about it.
    1) I usual take form factor to mean physical setup and in that case pre is actually completely unrelated and novel as well. it has a physical keyboard and is a vertical slider.

    2)In terms of the software, we could say iphone is clearly a take off on treos that existed before iphone because most of what is on the iphone existed on treos three years ago.

    3) the real similarity is a thrid factor, not physical set up or features and interface, or anything we consider, but the business model presented to carriers by the maker. In that sense the products are identical: sexy methods to get customers to buy higher priced plans.
  16.    #16  
    1) The large screen with no hard buttons is, without a doubt,borrowing the iphone's hardware setup

    2) The multitouch finger swipe software is a blatant takeoff of the iphone tech. That was obvious from the unveiling. The card idea is an iteration of the way the iphone handles itune music album covers or album art.
    .
    The iphone really doesn't resemble anything which the treo offers. Of course they all handle calendar, email, web, etc, but ALL smartphones - nokia, blackberry, samsung, other windows mobile phones do as well. Just because treos do it on some level doesn't mean the treo was the main motivation for the iphone's interface.

    The two are entirely different.

    Obviously the keyboard and minor size differences are the apparent variations, but everything else is virtually a clone to the iphone.

    And these WERE former apple employees who designed this thing anyway.
    Last edited by treosensei; 03/07/2009 at 04:06 PM.
  17. #17  
    I've go the Pro - and love the Pro. But then I loved each of the (too many to count) prior Palm's I had too. Even with each of their limitations.

    I'm afraid in this economy that high end phones are nearing saturation in the casual user market. The geeks (and I say that as one and with all due respect) will usually move to the latest/greatest, but I'm doubtful there will be enough casual buyers to keep Palm afloat. They've already jumped on the iphone or have a BB.

    And I'm hoping that the established Palm community is still there for us to support each other - cause I'm wondering if Palm will be.

    Just my opinion.

Posting Permissions