Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    All this talk of the Pre's functions, capabilities and ease of use has got me thinking back to my very first leap into "smart" devices.

I know it wasn't a phone, but for me, this single electronic wonder was the catalyst that initiated an unquechable thirst for 'automated order'. Unlike the Franklin Planner crowd - which I just never felt comfortable with (pen and pad), I had the advantage of THIS device ringing out reminders automatically when I was about to miss an important meeting. AND, it had interchangeable 'cards' that gave you different functions - i.e. accounting spreadsheets, Tetris, etc. It even had a tiny little thermal printer the size of your fist you could hook up to it.

It was the ultimate PDA of it's day, the Sharp Wizard OZ-7000. The year, 1989. I had just graduated high school, started my first job and this was what I bought with $150 from my very first check. And I even still have it. Albiet, sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

What was your first 'smart' device? And when did you get it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hmm..i remember seeing the palm pilots but not being interested enough.

First one was the Treo 300 for me though since i could justify buying one then. Hey it was a phone. A flip one if i remember right. It got oohs and ahhs just for having a qwerty on it

It's been all palms ever since except for the past year or so on the iphone which will come to an end soon.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I would have to say it was one of the first smart device that came out. The Sprint I300. Been with Sprint ever since.

http://www.pencomputing.com/palm/Pen43/samsungi300a.jpg
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Ahh, yes. I remember the first smart device I had... it was a cassio organizer of some sort but I have no idea what model it was! The first REAL one I had though was a Palm VIIx:
    http://www.buymebuyme.com/images/palmviixlarge.bmp
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    http://www.pocketmail.com/images/pm_backflip.jpg

I used this badboy with my Palm III and sent email via my Startac by holding it up to the speaker ports on the back of the Pocketmail device.

I even had the Full Pocketmail standalone device too...

http://www.pocketmail.com/images/pm32.jpg
    Palm M100. Its not a smartphone, still falls under smart device?
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    I read this thread wrong, I thought it was your first smart device with some sort of network/email capabilities... Crap, I had a Newton and a Palm Pilot Pro!
    I can't remember the model number, but for me it was the Casio version of the Wizard.
    and to this day, I think it is still my favorite. It was compact, did what I needed, closed shut in a clambshell. QWERTY keyboard....

I guess my first proper "smartphone" would have been the VisorPhone......
    Quote Originally Posted by solar_plexus View Post
    I can't remember the model number, but for me it was the Casio version of the Wizard.
    and to this day, I think it is still my favorite. It was compact, did what I needed, closed shut in a clambshell. QWERTY keyboard....

I guess my first proper "smartphone" would have been the VisorPhone......
    I wasn't cool enough to have the Visor with Springboard modules, I rocked the 3 and 3c. So I had to settle for the Treo 300 as my first "smartphone".
    My wife also started with a Wizard, same model. She had 3 or so Palms after that with me looking at saying, "Ok" and no interested generated on my part. I remember one long evening when she was attempting to correct a restore problem - she kept getting really old information restore. I looked and found an old folder, renamed it, renamed what I thought was the correct folder and life was good again.

I got interested when she purchased a Kyocera 6035, I got one and then she got the Treo 300, I followed suite and since then we have had all of the Sprint Treo line with the exception of the 700WX - I had the 700W. In addition to the 700W I had 3 other WM phones and kept none of them for longer than a week or so. The 800W came out and I finally made the switch. Three 800W devices later had me going to the Touch Pro. I am looking at the Pre, but not seriously at this moment.
    Depends on what you call a smart device. In my case it would be a TRS-80 pocket computer 2. Which really stretched the concept of pockets. Then I got some Casio pocket computer, I think the same model as the TRS-80 PC 4. Used that one for many years. I can not recall the name of my first actual PDA. I do remember that it used a Z80 compatible processor. Then I went though a number Palm IIIs. Then on to the Handspring Prism. I got the Data module for that and it became my first smart phone. After that the Treo 300, 600, and 700P. Perhaps soon the Pre.
    Over 25 years ago, I had a Seiko wrist watch (or Casio?) that had a separate keyboard attachment for entering text. I seem to recall the entire memory was only 2,000 characters! I used this wrist watch for simple cheat notes in school. I thought I was so cool for wearing this gadget watch.

My first real Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) was a Palm Pilot many years ago. It was the flip cover model with a horrible black and white dot matrix screen. I had fun with it though, and this was the start of my journey into using electronic devices for organizing my life for many years to come. I've had many different Palm PDA models throughout the years. Prior to the Palm Pilot, I was annually buying cumbersome paper and pen calendars.

My first "smartphone" PDA was the Palm Treo 650, which I liked a lot. Later it was the horrible Treo 700p that was unstable. I'm currently using the Treo 755p ever since it first came out some 3 years ago, I think. I'm now on my second 755p, as my first one is starting to have keyboard problems.

I really like my 755p. I just wish it has a better web browser and screen, something on par with the iPhone web browser/screen. Then my 755p would be perfect!
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
  13.    #13  
    Yeah, what I really wanted to know was what your first 'smart DEVICE was. By 'smart' I just mean PDA or higher. It doesn't have to be a phone.

For most folk my age, your first 'smart' device was likely a personal organizer of the Casio, Sharp or Texas Instruments variety. Simply because smartphones had not been invented until around the mid to late-nineties. The younger crowd here never got a chance to fool around with the first-generation PDAs. Likewise, the next generation will go straight from baby bottle to smartphone - no PDA intermediate.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    Over 25 years ago, I had a Seiko wrist watch (or Casio?) that had a separate keyboard attachment for entering text. I seem to recall the entire memory was only 2,000 characters! I used this wrist watch for simple cheat notes in school. I thought I was so cool for wearing this gadget watch...
    SNAP! I forgot all about that watch. I had one too. It was the first generation Casio Databank watch. Mine was gold-toned. I think I got it back in high-school. I loved that watch. I've still got it too. I'm almost afraid to send it in to get repaired, because I don't know if I'll get it back. It's gotta be about 21 years old.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wow, a lot of these entries are impressively "old school".

My first "smart device" was a Casio organizer of some sort. Then I dropped out of the game until the Blackberry 8830 was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderhaus View Post
    SNAP! I forgot all about that watch. I had one too. It was the first generation Casio Databank watch. Mine was gold-toned. I think I got it back in high-school. I loved that watch. I've still got it too. I'm almost afraid to send it in to get repaired, because I don't know if I'll get it back. It's gotta be about 21 years old.

Yeah, I think I had one of those Casio watches too. The other one I had must have been a Seiko, because it positively had a separate keyboard for entry, which was cumbersome. I recall having this Seiko watch sometime around year 1980, plus or minus a few years.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    My first real smart device was a Palm m100 and i used that till it & my dinky lg c1500 turned to dust then purchased my first "smart phone: Samsung Blackjack
    Powah to the Headset Jockeys!
    Kyocera 6035 that thing was a beast the battery would last three days or so there was no need for a car charger and plenty need for cargo pants
    treo 600!!!
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Handspring Prism. It was love at first site.
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast