1.    #1  
    I haven't posted here in a LONG time. (Is Chick-Dance still here?)

Anywhoo, my wife has been struggling with a poorly functioning 680 for a while now, and we're getting a little worried about the impending demise of the PalmOS. What does she use the device for more than anything? A virtual file cabinet--she has memos upon memos upon memos in there.

iPhones still don't let you sync memos. I'm not sure what the Pre will let us do. And she's a bit paranoid about her personal info--soome of the memos have medical information and such--out there on some sort of "cloud," so we have to take that into account too.

What should we/she be looking to upgrade/shift to? How well do the Windows Mobile versions work with stuff like this? (I had about 5 devices that used the PalmOS before I shifted to an iPhone. And I use Evernote for notes/memos. But I'm far less paranoid.) Is there a good Blackberry option? Any other suggestions?
    The Pre should have all of those functions but if she needs one now, the Centro is a good cheaper version or the Treo Pro
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    Chick-Dance? Now you are going to need a wayback machine!

Don't know yet if there will be desktop (non-cloud) sync for those private medical memos with the Pre.

Centro (regular Palm OS) may be best bet if you can't wait.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  4.    #4  
    Yeah, the Chick-Dance reference really dates me.

Do we think the Centro is in for long haul, or is that on the way out shortly too?
    Quote Originally Posted by pbryon View Post
    I haven't posted here in a LONG time. (Is Chick-Dance still here?)

Anywhoo, my wife has been struggling with a poorly functioning 680 for a while now, and we're getting a little worried about the impending demise of the PalmOS. What does she use the device for more than anything? A virtual file cabinet--she has memos upon memos upon memos in there.

iPhones still don't let you sync memos. I'm not sure what the Pre will let us do. And she's a bit paranoid about her personal info--soome of the memos have medical information and such--out there on some sort of "cloud," so we have to take that into account too.

What should we/she be looking to upgrade/shift to? How well do the Windows Mobile versions work with stuff like this? (I had about 5 devices that used the PalmOS before I shifted to an iPhone. And I use Evernote for notes/memos. But I'm far less paranoid.) Is there a good Blackberry option? Any other suggestions?
    Does she sync with Outlook via Exchange? If so, iPhone will sync memos using iMNotes. If she syncs with desktop only, then I think the Centro is a good/great device.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Chick changed her name to Witchiepoo and was last seen on mtdn, where she finally admitted to not owning a Treo.

I agree about the Centro being a good option. Windows Mobile doesn't do memos like Palm, so you'd really be talking about syncing documents...and the best way there is via a 3rd party like GooSync. (At least that's how I do it.)

Ideally, the Pre will include memos as part of its pim.

Any way ya look at it, "the cloud" is the direction in which everyone is headed.
  7. jhn
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I use Daynotez, the most used program that I have on my Treo 800. I used it on my Treo 600, way back when.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Windows Mobile doesn't do memos like Palm
    I what way? It seems to works for me, and doesn't have the silly size limits that Palm memos have either.
    Any way ya look at it, "the cloud" is the direction in which everyone is headed.
    I beg to differ. Security matters too much to me, and my customers.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Quote Originally Posted by pbryon View Post
    Yeah, the Chick-Dance reference really dates me.

Do we think the Centro is in for long haul, or is that on the way out shortly too?
    I think Sprint will officially take it off it's roster later this summer
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    There are Notes on the Pre (which look like Memos) but I have yet to see any definitive information on how to get Garnet PIM data onto webOS.

If your wife is syncing to Palm Desktop, it is simply a matter of copy and paste to turn the Memos into .txt or .doc files.
  11.    #11  
    Thanks for the replies. Still not sure what to do. Probably wait some more, and try to learn a bit more about Windows Mobile. This 680 she has has been a royal pain in the arse, with battery issues, e-mail issues, etc. But you get so tethered to the data that you can always have with you at all times...
    Try sync'ing from the 680 to the Outlook Notes (sorry for suggesting an MS solutions in this serious issue). Then sync your outlook notes to your new phone (iphone or else).

It always works for me as I wonder to and from my Palm OS devices.

I use GOOSync to keep my notes in "another location" and I have used it to sync my calendar and notes into whatever new or current device I use.
    Treo 180, 300, 600, 650, still regretting the 680, Centro, ...
    Waiting for the next worthy smart-phone while test-driving an iPhone for the last 3 months.
    if everything fails, there is always the ever reliable pen and paper and a good folder/manila envelope to put all those in.:-)
    What is this "Pen & Paper" of which you speak?
    Never heard of it! Blurry pictures or it never happened!

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!