1.    #1  
    I'm a huge fan of Palm devices, and an even bigger fan of the newer devices such as the Treo Pro, Treo 800w, and Palm Pre. BUT, I'm getting really tired of these beautiful smartphones going to Verizon or Sprint BEFORE AT&T, the only REAL GSM carrier in the U.S. What the hell, Palm??

I was on Sprint several years ago, but moved to AT&T when I realized they had the best coverage. Verizon's & Sprints' coverage sucks *** in Colorado, and everywhere I've been, AT&T has very good coverage including Colorado. But I'm not going to switch to Sprint or Verizon just to get their new phones. I was going to get the iPhone, but decided that their OSD keyboard was very inaccurate for someone who types A LOT on their phone. So, I decided to wait for the Pro, 800w, and now Pre to come to AT&T but how long do we have to wait???

Palm.....give us AT&T/GSM users some indication of when these phones are coming. Or, do we have to switch to Blackberry just to have the latest and greatest technologies??
    It's usually that way with Palm. CDMA first, except for the 680 and I think the GSM Centro wasn't that far behind the CDMA version. Palm also seems to be having an affair with Sprint. You can also get the GSM Pro unlocked if you want to pay a premium and the Pre might be the same way.

You have so much GSM phone choice out there, so really there actually ISN'T the need to wait unless you must have Palm IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Palm has had a very close relationship with Sprint all the way back from the Treo 300 days. Sprint is one of their closest tier one wireless partners and they always seem to launch products on the network first...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Let's see......

Cingular & Sprint got the Treo 600 and 650 ages before Verizon

The 700w (CDMA only) appeared exclusively on Verizon but Sprint got its successor (700wx) months before Verizon

The 700p (CDMA only) arrived simultaneously on both Sprint & Verizon

The Treo 750 & 680 (GSM only) hit CIngular/AT&T long before (Oct '06) the first CDMA device sharing that formfactor (Treo 755p) arrived on Sprint (May '07) and even longer before Verizon got the 755p (Dec '07).

The Centro hit Sprint first, then AT&T/unlocked 3 months later, then hit Verizon 6 months later.

The 800w has been a Sprint exclusive release, as has the refreshed 128mb Centro.

If AT&T is down on Palm at the moment, as rumored due to the continued absence of the GSM Treo Pro in a carrier-supported version domestically, they might rethink that position when the GSM Pre arrives. On the other hand, AT&T might be joining Verizon in dumping Palm entirely to focus on the iPhone and the various BB devices.

At any rate, Sprint and Palm have tied their fortunes to each other quite strongly, which is bad news for ALL GSM (not just AT&T) and Verizon users alike.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    At any rate, Sprint and Palm have tied their fortunes to each other quite strongly, which is bad news for ALL GSM (not just AT&T) and Verizon users alike.
    Could be a bad choice for Palm, since Sprint is announcing layoffs due to a dwindling customer base. And I'm not sure that even the Pre after it gains a fully stocked app store is going to change that picture much.
    Colorado? They got phone service in Colorado? I thought they still communicated via PONY EXPRESS!

Considering the huge problems the 680 had with AT&T's GSM service - it wasn't such a big deal being first!

I am a very happy Sprint customer NOW! THe carriers are such a big influence on whether people meet with success or not, it almost isn't fair that the device has to be tied to the carrier!

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Quote Originally Posted by kraski View Post
    Could be a bad choice for Palm, since Sprint is announcing layoffs due to a dwindling customer base. And I'm not sure that even the Pre after it gains a fully stocked app store is going to change that picture much.
    Yeah but Palm has this year had big layoffs and a dwindling customer base too.
    It was Palm's only choice.

they are both third place, cash poor, bottom tier brands and well behind on all the metrics. You got to go to the dance with whoever will take you
    In the past Sprint has actually helped fund the development of Palm devices in exchange for the exclusivity. No indication that I have seen that they have done this with the Pre, but that just shows you how close the companies are.
    For what it's worth (which may not be much), Sprint service is excellent in my area. In fact, in many locations I get a far better signal on my Treo than on my Verizon Aircard. I end up using PDAnet and my Treo for remote access more than my company supplied card.

And Gizmodo rated Sprint's 3G best overall.

http://gizmodo.com/5111989/the-defin...t-3g-data-test
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    For what it's worth (which may not be much), Sprint service is excellent in my area. In fact, in many locations I get a far better signal on my Treo than on my Verizon Aircard.
    Sprint coverage in SF is great as well. REALLY fast 3G speeds compared to AT&T's coverage here.
    Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    My opinion is that the whole subsidy thing in the US is stupid.

I just think that manufacturers and service providers should be kept separate. The same way digital television service is kept separate from TV manufacturers. What if you had to sign a 2-year agreement with Comcast just to get the exact TV that you wanted?

The reason, IMO, that this stinks, is that the service providers get exclusives on different handsets and then get sloppy with customer service, area coverage, and price points for services.

In a truly free market - handset manufacturers would compete to sell products based upon customer requirements, options, and price point. The market would drive the price of these handsets.

Service providers would have to compete on price, area coverage, customer service, etc...

Then, the users would benefit by making purchase / contract commitments based upon their own preferances.

Oh well - I don't see that changing, but I think it should because it would be in our best interest.

You may say - but, then handsets would cost $1000.00. I don't think so. I think the market would adjust and frankly, the whole thing for Apple is in the post sale revenue area (iTunes) anyway.

Oh well - what do I know...
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    they are both third place, cash poor, bottom tier brands and well behind on all the metrics. You got to go to the dance with whoever will take you
    and there you have it
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.