View Poll Results: What do you sync your Palm PIM with today?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Desktop (Local)

74 36.10%
  • Outlook (Local)

54 26.34%
  • Web Based Cloud (GMail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, etc.)

11 5.37%
  • Exchange Server (Personal)

10 4.88%
  • Work Server (Work)

26 12.68%
  • Other

14 6.83%
  • Don't Sync - Device Only

16 7.80%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Both my wife and I sync using exchange OTA using my business server. Works really well for contacts, email and calendar. Backups are done over usb to a PC.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I don't sync, I backup (NVBackup)
    is that some sort of tag line for the program ? :-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Hey you left out the Mac.

I use Missing Sync for Palm OS on the Mac.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    I've paid Iambic enough money. I'm done upgrading. I'm hoping the Pre can natively do the basics of Agendus that I won't be waiting for a version of it for the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    Stay away from v13 at the moment, very buggy. Read Iambic's community forums for proof.
    I sync my Paln Centro to the default mail client Evolution in Ubuntu Linux using gnome-pilot.

Its plug and play, no need for a driver cd, now only if I could do that out the box with windows. Open office exports files to the Palm Doc format, its so easy to install apps, I just drag them to the Gnome-pilot icon on the taskbar. Then I click the hotsync button on my usb cable and Bob's your uncle.

Hopes Web-OS works this good when it hits.

=3
  7.    #67  
    There will be no separate “Windows Automagic” service to buy, analogous to Apple’s $99 a year MobileMe cloud computing service. Rather, most of the synchronization will be a part of using Windows, Windows Mobile, and the Windows Live Web services. Mostly the services are free, but there will be some premium offerings, he said.

“I don’t think anyone is going to make money on synchronizing data,” he said. “It is simply what people will come to expect.”

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...he-magic-back/
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    There will be no separate “Windows Automagic” service to buy, analogous to Apple’s $99 a year MobileMe cloud computing service. Rather, most of the synchronization will be a part of using Windows, Windows Mobile, and the Windows Live Web services. Mostly the services are free, but there will be some premium offerings, he said.

“I don’t think anyone is going to make money on synchronizing data,” he said. “It is simply what people will come to expect.”

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/0...he-magic-back/
    That article also says this:
    Of course, there just might be someone who has a Windows computer and may even like Windows Live Web services who doesn’t want a Windows Mobile phone. They are mostly out of luck, Mr. Lees said, because the company isn’t spending much time developing applications that will do all this “automagic” stuff on other phone platforms. (There will be some Windows live services available through cellphone Web browsers.)
    So it looks like MS might not allow Live services to be accessed from non-WinMo phones (except through a Web browser)?
  9.    #69  
    January 27, 2009 4:00 PM PST
    Gmail grows up with offline e-mail access
    Posted by Stephen Shankland

Significantly increasing the utility and competitiveness of its Web-based e-mail service, Google is enabling an experimental ability to read, write, and search Gmail messages even while not connected to the network.

Google believes almost religiously in cloud computing, the idea that computer applications and data live on the Internet rather than on PCs. But there are times when the network is inaccessible, and generally Web-based applications like today's Gmail effectively seize up under those circumstances.

Offline sidesteps that problem, the classic example being a busy executive traveling on a plane. And offline Gmail access begins a new chapter for Google's ambition to appeal to business customers for services such as Google Apps, of which Gmail is a component.

"This is a feature we've heard loud and clear the enterprise wants," said Todd Jackson, Gmail's product manager.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...orsPicksArea.0
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I back up to ACT 6.0
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Outlook via BlueTooth
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Syncing my PIM to Palm Desktop on work laptop and home desktop.........free
    Syncing and sharing only the cal on Goosync.......free
    Backing up on sd card via NVBackup.........free

and if some are right....

Getting bent over a rail and forced to accept a monthly subscription (service?) to access MY data on My handheld safely stored on MY computer .........intolerable.
    I do and feel the same.... minus the Goosync. I see no reason to have to pay to access MY data. How lazy can people get that they no longer want to take the little time to safeguard their own information?
    I hate Outlook, bloated friggin' whale....can't beat Palm Desktop. It's gonna be missed deeply. And someone else WILL create something that works like it. I can't tell if Agendus or not.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    I don't sync with anything. Having the info in my phone has always been enough for me. Although I do like the security of having a backup program on my card just in case.
    Vx --> M515 --> T|T3 --> T|T5
    --> Treo 650 --> Centro --> Dinc

Smart Jones - a smartphone webcomic
    No kidding, dude. Mine's never gone down, but my wife has lost her data twice. Not pretty. And her backup/synch was a week or two old, so it wasn't earth-shattering. But what if you lost your Palm? Or it got stolen? Or run over by a truck?
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorro1 View Post
    No kidding, dude. Mine's never gone down, but my wife has lost her data twice. Not pretty. And her backup/synch was a week or two old, so it wasn't earth-shattering. But what if you lost your Palm? Or it got stolen? Or run over by a truck?

I dropped a phone in a canal once, the card back-up wasn't much use...
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    My syncing is too baroque to be captured by the poll.

At home, I sync to Palm Desktop. That Palm Desktop is kept synced to Gmail/GCal using CompanionLink for Google.

In additional to the clone of my Palm Desktop on GCal, we have a family calendar maintained on Google that everyone in the family can access for scheduling the kid's soccer games, etc. That gets synced down to my Palm Desktop (and hence indirectly to my Treo) as a "family" category.

At work I sync to another copy of Palm Desktop, everything except my calendar - which gets synced against Lotus Notes using mNotes.

So for my calendar, I'm already pooling data from many different sources (Treo, home desktop, work Lotus Notes, two different GCals). Data can and does get entered in any of these places, and (albeit with some lag until I hotsync at both home and work) the proper data is usually where it needs to be. I'm not making this up, this is really how the calendar on my Treo is synced.

The cloud metaphor and Synergy on the Pre calendar are looking pretty attractive to me.
    There's another one out there like me!
    Though I'm using some old version of Intellisync supplied by the company to do the Notes calendar sync.
    I use Outlook local and Exchange along with GMail.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Early adapters have more outgoing personality traits. More apt to blog. I still sync to Palm Desktop
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Lotus Notes at work (via Intellisync which still works great, bless it's obsolete heart) and Palm Desktop on the home mac.

Pre has to be able to sync with Lotus Notes on an enterprise server otherwise, no thank you.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast