View Poll Results: What do you sync your Palm PIM with today?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Desktop (Local)

74 36.10%
  • Outlook (Local)

54 26.34%
  • Web Based Cloud (GMail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, etc.)

11 5.37%
  • Exchange Server (Personal)

10 4.88%
  • Work Server (Work)

26 12.68%
  • Other

14 6.83%
  • Don't Sync - Device Only

16 7.80%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    I just hope Pocket Mirror will come up with the solution (3rd party app)
    Good Luck
    Chapura was listed as one of the launch partners, so I think there is a good chance that there will be a simple solution targeted directly at the Palm WebOS to sync with the Pre when it launches. That's just me making an assumption, but considering the level of detail that Palm has put into this device I think it is realistic. I expect it to be a subscription service though like the iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Chapura was listed as one of the launch partners, so I think there is a good chance that there will be a simple solution targeted directly at the Palm WebOS to sync with the Pre when it launches. That's just me making an assumption, but considering the level of detail that Palm has put into this device I think it is realistic. I expect it to be a subscription service though like the iPhone.
    A direct sync of some sort would be nice.
    But I sure don't want to pay a subscription fee.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Currently I am using OUTLOOK, but am not sure I like it. In the past I've only used Palm Desktop to sync with, but when I got the Centro and a new job (which forces me to use outlook) I figured I'd make myself use Outlook at home too. Outlook just seems so layered, while Palm Desktop is simple and straight forward.

Time will tell.

Cheers,
    Kim
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    pretty clear the majority of users sync directly to PC / Mac
    Last edited by B-model; 01/20/2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Change "PC" to "PC / Mac" Don;t want to get flamed by mac fans :-)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Syncing over the cloud is the best method IMO for making sure you always have your PIM on you, even in the case of a hard reset/losing your phone. Why? Think about when you're out of town traveling...
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    Syncing over the cloud is the best method IMO for making sure you always have your PIM on you, even in the case of a hard reset/losing your phone. Why? Think about when you're out of town traveling...
    Yep

You don't even need your phone or pc with you.
    You can access it where ever there's data.

It's a huge PIM backup plus!

I haven't directly synced my Pda with my Computer for prolly more than 2 years.
    Just call me Berd.
    Let's see. The last time I was traveling was over New Year's in Vermont at Stratton. Got stuck in an endless reset and had to hard reset. Msg database issue. No signal at the house. Was lucky to even receive the occasional text message which usually arrived no less than a half hour to 45 minutes after it was sent. Would've been up sh*t's creek if I was relying on the "cloud" to restore my phone. Took less than five minutes since I was backed up to my card. Plus I was entering numbers for some restaurants and a couple of mountains on my netbook (in PD) to sync up with the centro after. Couldn't do that with the Pre. Why? Think about it the next time you're actually right.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetluva View Post
    And if we're the exception to the rule on here in regards to smartphone users compared to the rest of the buying public, do you think they are more technologically inclined or less? Do you think the majority use an online PIM or exchange server compared to PD or local Outlook? Do you think Palm should force them to suddenly change just to make use of their next generation OS? Sorry sir, but you're not an advanced enough user to understand that syncing over the cloud is really much better for you, so I think you should stick with the Centro. Wait, even better. Yes sir, it will cost you an extra $50 to be able to sync with your Palm Desktop the way you do for free now. So you're telling me I lose functionality when I upgrade to the next generation of technology, and I actually have to pay more to do what I do now for free? That doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by crogs571; 01/20/2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Hey Crogs excellent post. However if you have followed the threads and cloud posters on this issue , be ye warned, and be prepared to be told that you are either:

a) hysterical
    b) naive
    c) technologically unsophisticated
    d) too technologically sophisticated
    e) too stupid to understand the "cloud" concept and why its good for you
    f) too cheap to pay for access to your own data
    g) too insignificant for Palm to care;
    h) much better off with a windows based treo pro
    i) inconsiderate to waste valuable space on this forum for such a silly minor issue as native local sync and non-cloud back-up.

Quote Originally Posted by crogs571 View Post
    Let's see. The last time I was traveling was over New Year's in Vermont at Stratton. Got stuck in an endless reset and had to hard reset. Msg database issue. No signal at the house. Was lucky to even receive the occasional text message which usually arrived no less than a half hour to 45 minutes after it was sent. Would've been up sh*t's creek if I was relying on the "cloud" to restore my phone. Took less than five minutes since I was backed up to my card. Plus I was entering numbers for some restaurants and a couple of mountains on my netbook (in PD) to sync up with the centro after. Couldn't do that with the Pre. Why? Think about it the next time you're actually right.

And if we're the exception to the rule on here in regards to smartphone users compared to the rest of the buying public, do you think they are more technologically inclined or less? Do you think the majority use an online PIM or exchange server compared to PD or local Outlook? Do you think Palm should force them to suddenly change just to make use of their next generation OS? Sorry sir, but you're not an advanced enough user to understand that syncing over the cloud is really much better for you, so I think you should stick with the Centro. Wait, even better. Yes sir, it will cost you an extra $50 to be able to sync with your Palm Desktop the way you do for free now. So you're telling me I lose functionality when I upgrade to the next generation of technology, and I actually have to pay more to do what I do now for free? That doesn't make sense.
    I skipped work to watch the blog the day of the intro and have been here reading and posting since. I'm all for posts from the apple-esque kool aid drinkers for a product that doesn't exist yet and all of our posts that poke fun at them and put them in their place.
    Quote Originally Posted by eekinsman View Post
    Hey Crogs excellent post. However if you have followed the threads and cloud posters on this issue , be ye warned, and be prepared to be told that you are either:

a) hysterical
    b) naive
    c) technologically unsophisticated
    d) too technologically sophisticated
    e) too stupid to understand the "cloud" concept and why its good for you
    f) too cheap to pay for access to your own data
    g) too insignificant for Palm to care;
    h) much better off with a windows based treo pro
    i) inconsiderate to waste valuable space on this forum for such a silly minor issue as native local sync and non-cloud back-up.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Palm Desktop local but I use Agendus for Windows since I am an Agendus for Palm user.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I use Agendus for Palm as well and wonder if I'll be able to select a contact and see all the appointments, surgeries, calls, tasks and such associated with him. That's been the main reason for me sticking with Agendus. I'm assuming with all the convergence of info it'd be a given on the Pre.
    @crogs571 I concur. Convergence is not only about getting contacts from OE, Google, Facebook but for efficient contact management one needs to see calendar events, tasks and notes associated with each contact. That's the strength of Agendus and I hope Iambic will get a WebOS version out.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I wouldn't mind not needing Agendus. Get tired of paying for upgrades, though I haven't felt a need to upgrade to the never version. I'm fine in v12.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    My syncing is too baroque to be captured by the poll.

At home, I sync to Palm Desktop. That Palm Desktop is kept synced to Gmail/GCal using CompanionLink for Google.

In additional to the clone of my Palm Desktop on GCal, we have a family calendar maintained on Google that everyone in the family can access for scheduling the kid's soccer games, etc. That gets synced down to my Palm Desktop (and hence indirectly to my Treo) as a "family" category.

At work I sync to another copy of Palm Desktop, everything except my calendar - which gets synced against Lotus Notes using mNotes.

So for my calendar, I'm already pooling data from many different sources (Treo, home desktop, work Lotus Notes, two different GCals). Data can and does get entered in any of these places, and (albeit with some lag until I hotsync at both home and work) the proper data is usually where it needs to be. I'm not making this up, this is really how the calendar on my Treo is synced.

The cloud metaphor and Synergy on the Pre calendar are looking pretty attractive to me.
    That sounds very cool and very practical.

I've felt uncomfortable syncing via the Palm Desktop app I'd installed at my former workplace, too, for similar reasons. I didn't want my personal contacts and calendar items to be on my work computer. (I like my business info on my Treo and home installation of Palm Desktop, though, as long as they can be categorized.)

While I'm a bit hesitant to change the way I do things, but it looks like there's value in making the jump.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That sounds very cool and very practical.

I've felt uncomfortable syncing via the Palm Desktop app I'd installed at my former workplace, too, for similar reasons. I didn't want my personal contacts and calendar items to be on my work computer. (I like my business info on my Treo and home installation of Palm Desktop, though, as long as they can be categorized.)

While I'm a bit hesitant to change the way I do things, but it looks like there's value in making the jump.
    I sync to Palm Desktop, btw.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    the purpose of a portable device is to take the information on my non-portable device with me. If someone works from a computer throughout the day why would they want to enter info on their tiny little screen and keyboard when there's a full size keyboard and screen in front of them. If you have a lot of information to enter, why would you want to input it on that cramped little keyboard and tiny screen when you can more efficiently do it on a normal computer?

I'll do things on the fly via my phone, but if I have access to my computer, it just makes sense to do it from there.

And why do you need to sync with outlook at all? If everything you have is on your phone you would only need to look up things on your phone? Might as well just backup to a card. Outlook for you is just redundant, no?
    I realize now that I didn't make myself clear enough.

I use my Centro exactly as you describe. I enter all of my information, such as apointments, contacts, to do, etc... at work on my FULL SIZED computer in Outlook, then sync. I also back up my Centro on a storage card. It seems redundant to me to sync at home.

I know that everyone uses it differently and I was really just curious as to why people sync with more than one computer.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    Technically, I sync with multiple sources. I sync with Outlook locally at home. And I have GoodLink to sync with work (Exchange) OTA, or use BT or USB to sync locally with work (Outlook).
    argh .. i don't want to pay money to sync when i do it free now ... hope that doesn't happen
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    After working with Hotsync, then Lotus Notes (intellisync) moved to Outlook and life seemed fine .... (still kept Palm Desktop for old times sake !)

Now on Vista and its driving me mad .... so I bought an old XP machine and life is good again with Hotsync...

Really looking forward to getting the 'Pre' in Europe ... and hopefully then end of headaches (consolidated sync via the cloud ... ahh bliss)
    I sync with Palm Desktop at home and work and use Agendus (on the palm and the desktop).

I wouldn't mind not needing Agendus. Get tired of paying for upgrades, though I haven't felt a need to upgrade to the never version. I'm fine in v12.
    Stay away from v13 at the moment, very buggy. Read Iambic's community forums for proof.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast