View Poll Results: What do you sync your Palm PIM with today?

Voters
205. You may not vote on this poll
  • Palm Desktop (Local)

74 36.10%
  • Outlook (Local)

54 26.34%
  • Web Based Cloud (GMail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, etc.)

11 5.37%
  • Exchange Server (Personal)

10 4.88%
  • Work Server (Work)

26 12.68%
  • Other

14 6.83%
  • Don't Sync - Device Only

16 7.80%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I sync with my local Outlook (over the web, because there is no Palm USB driver for XP X64!!), but I would *love* to be able to sync with my office's Exchange server, without having to share all my personal stuff with my office server, as would happen with my Treo now. Seems to me this is EXACTLY what the Pre would do, and is my #1 driving force behind wanting one.
    http://wwwebos.com - webOS User Community
    sync to Apple Mac stuff (iCal, Address Book) with Missing Sync. But it's not great. I also sync to Palm Desktop on a PC.
    -- Josh
    My syncing is too baroque to be captured by the poll.

At home, I sync to Palm Desktop. That Palm Desktop is kept synced to Gmail/GCal using CompanionLink for Google.

In additional to the clone of my Palm Desktop on GCal, we have a family calendar maintained on Google that everyone in the family can access for scheduling the kid's soccer games, etc. That gets synced down to my Palm Desktop (and hence indirectly to my Treo) as a "family" category.

At work I sync to another copy of Palm Desktop, everything except my calendar - which gets synced against Lotus Notes using mNotes.

So for my calendar, I'm already pooling data from many different sources (Treo, home desktop, work Lotus Notes, two different GCals). Data can and does get entered in any of these places, and (albeit with some lag until I hotsync at both home and work) the proper data is usually where it needs to be. I'm not making this up, this is really how the calendar on my Treo is synced.

The cloud metaphor and Synergy on the Pre calendar are looking pretty attractive to me.
    I noticed a few mentioned device only.
    For that some use:

PIM Backup
    http://www.dotfred.net/

I use it as another safetynet.
    I'm a backup freak
    Just call me Berd.
    The poll should allow multiple selections. I sync with Exchange Server at work, which does Calendar and Contacts. But I sync with Palm Desktop and home and Outlook at work for Tasks and Notes.

And if Versamail didn't shut off the desktop conduit for Calendar (stupid, stupid, stupid, Palm), I'd sync that to Palm Desktop at home, too.

So neither answer by itself is correct.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I keep my PIM data in local Outlook at home, Outlook/Exchange at work and in KeySuite on my Centro. I sync via cable both at home and work. When I sync with my work pc, the data goes into exhange and then via BES to my Blackberry.

I also sync eWallet at home and work and PocketQuicken just at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitman View Post
    My syncing is too baroque to be captured by the poll.

At home, I sync to Palm Desktop. That Palm Desktop is kept synced to Gmail/GCal using CompanionLink for Google.

In additional to the clone of my Palm Desktop on GCal, we have a family calendar maintained on Google that everyone in the family can access for scheduling the kid's soccer games, etc. That gets synced down to my Palm Desktop (and hence indirectly to my Treo) as a "family" category.

At work I sync to another copy of Palm Desktop, everything except my calendar - which gets synced against Lotus Notes using mNotes.

So for my calendar, I'm already pooling data from many different sources (Treo, home desktop, work Lotus Notes, two different GCals). Data can and does get entered in any of these places, and (albeit with some lag until I hotsync at both home and work) the proper data is usually where it needs to be. I'm not making this up, this is really how the calendar on my Treo is synced.

The cloud metaphor and Synergy on the Pre calendar are looking pretty attractive to me.

Dude - ur sick
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I sync with Act, using Act link for palm.
    Palm Pilot Personal> Palm Pilot Professional> Palm 3e >Palm Tungsten e> Handspring Treo 90> Handspring Treo 180> Handspring Treo 270> Treo 600GSM Unbranded> Treo 650GSM Unbranded> Treo 680GSM Unbranded> Treo 750 ATT 3 Days > Back to Treo 680 Unbranded > Treo 680 ATT Branded W/Update> Black GSM Centro. Ouch it hurts to think about how many Palm Products I've been through.>Black Sprint Centro. Sprint Palm Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I sync locally to my personal lapper to Palm desktop. Based on the poll I'm with the majority, but based on the posts I'm in the minority...
    yep -- Palm Desktop for me too

So very odd that the most fervent and loudest voices -- the ones that have been agressively dominating this topic -- have been the tiny minority that are'nt using local sync.

Why is that ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 01/16/2009 at 04:05 PM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    nothing wrong with being the silent majority. Let the others brag about all they do, and how us locals need to get with the times or go pound sand.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE View Post

So very odd that the most fervent and loudest voices -- the ones that have been agressively dominating this topic -- have been the tiny minority that are'nt using local sync.

Why is that ??

It's a valid question - not sure of the answer - I think a lot of those sorts of people (me included) are people who were members here and never posted much because we moved away from palm to other OSes and other ways of working. We've come back here because the pre has us worked up and interested in palm again but our ways of working are not you ways of working and there-in lies the tension.
    I just hope Pocket Mirror will come up with the solution (3rd party app)
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    169 Global Posts
    Very curious....

Why do some people sync at work AND at home? Isn't the whole purpose of a portable device is to have all your information with you, where ever you are? If you need to add a contact or event, can't you just do it on the device?

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are very good reasons but, it never occured to me to sync with my home computer. Maybe I'm missing something (besides a few brain cells ).

BTW, I just sync with Outlook at work.
    My Evolution
    Palm Pilot
    Palm V
    Clie N760C
    Treo 650
    Centro
    Pre
    the purpose of a portable device is to take the information on my non-portable device with me. If someone works from a computer throughout the day why would they want to enter info on their tiny little screen and keyboard when there's a full size keyboard and screen in front of them. If you have a lot of information to enter, why would you want to input it on that cramped little keyboard and tiny screen when you can more efficiently do it on a normal computer?

I'll do things on the fly via my phone, but if I have access to my computer, it just makes sense to do it from there.

And why do you need to sync with outlook at all? If everything you have is on your phone you would only need to look up things on your phone? Might as well just backup to a card. Outlook for you is just redundant, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    Very curious....

Why do some people sync at work AND at home? Isn't the whole purpose of a portable device is to have all your information with you, where ever you are? If you need to add a contact or event, can't you just do it on the device?

Don't get me wrong. I'm sure there are very good reasons but, it never occured to me to sync with my home computer. Maybe I'm missing something (besides a few brain cells ).

Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riebs View Post
    Very curious....

I sync at mainly work to get events from my work calendar - many (most?) of the events there are meetings that I'm invited to by someone else via the Notes calendaring system.

I sync at home because I consider it my primary backup, under my control, not the control of my company's IT department.

Why is that ??
    It is the same way with every device launch... or even software launch.

Heck, at my company, we get hounded by the mac people to produce software... almost weekly... you release something and only those people buy... you go months without another purchase. But they are adamant that mac versions will sell.... lol

Have to be careful when developing hardware or software....
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17.    #37  
    interesting. i wonder how representative the results are of the entire market.
    Centro users?
    Less so.

I do believe that we are in the minority that purchase high capcadity SDHC cards & sync our phones...

I know 'kids' who have crackberries, dumbphones or even smartphones... and never sync their phones... they LOSE numbers when they upgrade or simply have them on their SIM phone.

Puzzling to me...
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts

Why is that ??
    You're making the assumption that those people are actually the loudest voices. I see it the other way, that the loudes voices are the Palm Desktop users who are concerned about having to change. The word "loud" is hard to define on a message board, but there are many, many posts from those people.

On the other hand, many people posting on this topic (like myself) are people who currently use local sync, but are willing to adapt if it doesn't negatively affect me. So, there again, your assumption is faulty.
    I'm willing to adapt as long as I can
    a)edit my PIM from my PC without an internet connection and
    b)sync OTA without paying extra to do so

well maybe I'll take that back. I really want my PIM info to reside on my computer. I'm really not against change, I just don't see how entrusting my info to someone else to store and maintain is the only good option unless I pay money for exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    On the other hand, many people posting on this topic (like myself) are people who currently use local sync, but are willing to adapt if it doesn't negatively affect me. So, there again, your assumption is faulty.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast