1.    #1  
    GIven that Palm Pre will not sync with your desktop but to the cloud, i think Palm will make us get a Palm Netbook (Foleo-type) to get that desktop syncing experience.

Think about it...

"Mobile is in our DNA"

Palm's primary objective from its beginnings in the Palm Pilot is to move you away from your Desktop to your Mobile computer. And they have been talking about Mobile "devices" from the start.

Maybe Palm will just establish a syncing program on a separate type of device with a full screen and a full keyboard, which in itself is also capable of syncing your PIMS ala SYnergy.

I am sure that Palm will always think that mobile people will always want a full screen and full keyboard and would want the option to look at their PIMS on a netbook device.

Foleo here he comes!!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Yes but Ed also said last week (paraphrasing somewhat here) "we don't make TVs, we don't make PCs, we don't make refrigerators"

I think the closest Palm'll come to a Fooleo 2.0 would be a larger tablet-size device running WebOS.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    GIven that Palm Pre will not sync with your desktop but to the cloud, i think Palm will make us get a Palm Netbook (Foleo-type) to get that desktop syncing experience.

Think about it...

"Mobile is in our DNA"

Palm's primary objective from its beginnings in the Palm Pilot is to move you away from your Desktop to your Mobile computer. And they have been talking about Mobile "devices" from the start.

Maybe Palm will just establish a syncing program on a separate type of device with a full screen and a full keyboard, which in itself is also capable of syncing your PIMS ala SYnergy.

I am sure that Palm will always think that mobile people will always want a full screen and full keyboard and would want the option to look at their PIMS on a netbook device.

Foleo here he comes!!

That completely breaks the cloud desktop and is just a replication of the current model using different names - it's not happening. The thing you have to understand is there is no sync in the cloud, it just is.

If a foleo arrived, it would just be another device to sync to the cloud, it wouldn't sync to the pre.

Plus unless they have a secret R&D project, the foleo would have to be released at the same time as the pre and people would have to buy both to get full value.
    There will be some kind of syncing solution. If nothing else you will need one to syncy the phone with outlook. Now, it may be a bit different form than we are used to seeing, but there will be one. I believe Chapura is working with Palm, so we will see something.

I could see a Foleo type device being delivered after Palm launches the Pre. In fact, I think this type of OS screams for a Foleo type device. I think one of the guys on the Treocast said as much too. A more optimal way to do email, edit docs, spreadsheets, presentations, etc. which syncs these with your phone, especially connected wirelessly, would be huge for many people, I think.

JMHO

Gargoyle
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
    There will be some kind of syncing solution. If nothing else you will need one to syncy the phone with outlook.
    Palm explains on the product team how the Pre syncs with outlook:

Available for Exchange ActiveSync only. Requires Microsoft Outlook using Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with SP2 or Exchange Server 2007. Requires data services at additional cost.

This is the head of the team that developed the Pre:

With "Synergy" on its new prprpr&#$275$; $phone$, $Palm$ $has$ $ditched$ $both$ $metaphors$ $entirely$. &$quot$;$There$'$s$ $no$ $metaphor$ $of$ $sync$, $save$, $push$$there$'$s$ $no$ $button$,&$quot$; $Crowley$ $said$.
    Palm's webOS does not presume any sort of tether at all. The company has totally ditched the idea that you will use this phone in conjunction with a specific "main PC" that contains the canonical, authoritative repository of your data.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-the-cord.html

Maybe they do have a desktop sync hidden away somewhere but if they do they are hiding it really really well.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    I believe there are many like me that will avoid a device that does not sync. Especially since Palm has such a terrible track record with device crashes. No backup, no buy.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by tedcousens View Post
    I believe there are many like me that will avoid a device that does not sync. Especially since Palm has such a terrible track record with device crashes. No backup, no buy.
    Since the Pre has a USB drive mode it will be easy to implement a backup regime controlled from the PC.
    Global Posts
    734 Global Posts
    Backup everything? without proprietary software? sorry but I have no faith. I wish to be pleasantly surprised.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Roi Batty

palm IIIe(clear plastic)/m130/Tungsten E/Sprint Treo 650/Treo 755p