Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1.    #1  
    It's been years and years since palm last did anything with their amazing palmOS. Palm has always been about the OS, but then a long time ago they switched to windows mobile as their main OS, which makes absolutely no sense. (and I personally HATE windows immobile and most people I know agree!)

    What if Apple stopped working on their OS again, ever, and switched to something different, like windows 7? That would be absurd. Well that's pretty much what palm did. They abandoned the main thing they had going for them. What also doesn't make sense is that they keep working on it at all?


    Is there any chance in the world that webOS could be put on the centro, or that they'll support any older phones with some version of webOS?
  2. #2  
    I think one reason among many was 3G wasn't possible. (just a guess)
    Just call me Berd.
  3. #3  
    Let's see. Because it didn't support more than two radios at once, which meant just cell radio and bluetooth, no internal gps or wifi possible.

    Because it didn't have any protected memory space for applications to run in, the main reason it was possible for applications to end up hard resetting the device.

    Because it couldn't multitask in the true sense of the word. (Threads could run in the background, applications couldn't.)

    Because it was plain ugly.

    Because it had inherent lag due to the NVFS used in all modern devices.

    Because it was a kludgy mashup of tons of little patches to add features to an OS that wasn't supposed ever to do these things (hence the name "FrankenGarnet".)

    Because the current iteration, OS5 (aka Garnet) is 6 years old, but still acted basically the same as the 12 year old original version on the original Palm Pilot.

    Because they were losing marketshare and going broke, and needed something shocking and new.

    I'm sure I could come up with more reasons if I thought about it, but those are just a few off the top of my head.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I think one reason among many was 3G wasn't possible. (just a guess)
    I have verizons EVDO on my centro which is the same speeds as 3g, just called something different
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Let's see. Because it didn't support more than two radios at once, which meant just cell radio and bluetooth, no internal gps or wifi possible.

    Because it didn't have any protected memory space for applications to run in, the main reason it was possible for applications to end up hard resetting the device.

    Because it couldn't multitask in the true sense of the word. (Threads could run in the background, applications couldn't.)

    Because it was plain ugly.

    Because it had inherent lag due to the NVFS used in all modern devices.

    Because it was a kludgy mashup of tons of little patches to add features to an OS that wasn't supposed ever to do these things (hence the name "FrankenGarnet".)

    Because the current iteration, OS5 (aka Garnet) is 6 years old, but still acted basically the same as the 12 year old original version on the original Palm Pilot.

    Because they were losing marketshare and going broke, and needed something shocking and new.

    I'm sure I could come up with more reasons if I thought about it, but those are just a few off the top of my head.
    All those things could have been solved by them making and releasing "PalmOS 6". Instead they didn't do ANYTHING for 6 years, not one single thing. Even a patch would be nice...
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    All those things could have been solved by them making and releasing "PalmOS 6". Instead they didn't do ANYTHING for 6 years, not one single thing. Even a patch would be nice...
    Actually, they couldn't have. In 2002, shortly after the release of OS5, Palm spun off their software section into a separate company, PalmSource. The goal of this was to keep things more fair for other hardware partners to license the platform (obviously didn't work.) So, PalmSource wrote the software, and PalmOne, as they were called at the time, made the hardware. Basically, they could make small modifications but nothing of the scale you're talking about.

    In 2004, Palmsource revealed Cobalt, which was to be Palm OS6. Obviously it was pretty flawed from the get-go because in addition to other limitations, it didn't even include libraries for radios, so that work would've had to be done by whoever was using it.

    In 2006 I believe it was, Access bought PalmSource and decided to work on a future Linux based OS. Later that year, Palm bought perpetual rights to license and modify Garnet (OS5), but they too had already decided that their future platform would be Linux based.

    And you act like this is unheard of to entirely switch over systems. Microsoft switched from DOS to Windows way back when. Apple scrapped everything and started from scratch with OS X. Palm decided this was their time to do the same thing, and personally, I think they were right.
  7. #7  
    IMO Garnet is old technology. JHoff is right. Though the PalmOS has lived a long and fruitful life (and you can see from my signature that I am no stanger to the PalmOS), sometimes you need to know when to say die. Garnet will still live as long as the Centro is out. But I believe and its time for fresh and new for future devices. Garnet had a great run but it needs to make way for something that can do what present and future devices are going to need to do.
    Palm Pilot Pro...Palm III...Treo 650...Treo 700p...Treo 800w...Palm Pre
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Actually, they couldn't have. In 2002, shortly after the release of OS5, Palm spun off their software section into a separate company, PalmSource. The goal of this was to keep things more fair for other hardware partners to license the platform (obviously didn't work.) So, PalmSource wrote the software, and PalmOne, as they were called at the time, made the hardware. Basically, they could make small modifications but nothing of the scale you're talking about.

    In 2004, Palmsource revealed Cobalt, which was to be Palm OS6. Obviously it was pretty flawed from the get-go because in addition to other limitations, it didn't even include libraries for radios, so that work would've had to be done by whoever was using it.

    In 2006 I believe it was, Access bought PalmSource and decided to work on a future Linux based OS. Later that year, Palm bought perpetual rights to license and modify Garnet (OS5), but they too had already decided that their future platform would be Linux based.

    And you act like this is unheard of to entirely switch over systems. Microsoft switched from DOS to Windows way back when. Apple scrapped everything and started from scratch with OS X. Palm decided this was their time to do the same thing, and personally, I think they were right.
    Those companies made it a nice smooth transition (for the most part) and still had support for a while.

    Palm abandoned it a long long long long long long long long long long long time ago with absolutely no more support, then finally released the new OS when it was almost too late. That was a 6 year "transition" (but not really a transition here!)
  9. pump142's Avatar
    Posts
    787 Posts
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    #9  
    for the same reason microsoft closed down windows 95.
    it was old, outdated & couldnt do what people wanted it to do
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    I have verizons EVDO on my centro which is the same speeds as 3g, just called something different
    I'm sorry,
    I meant GSM 3G
    or 3.5G (HSDPA)
    Just call me Berd.
  11. #11  
    Honestly, I would be happy if my Centro just had the Pre's big screen and sliding keyboard. Palm OS still works fantastic for me. With Sprint's high speed data and the Centro's ample memory and storage, I'm a happy camper. It just works. I don't need wifi or stereo bluetooth. And I can play music while I use other applications. When I leave an application and come back, it looks the same as I left it. Not multitasking, but close.

    Email, web, text messages, Docs to Go, games, music, movies, and a whole lot more work great on my Centro. As I said, the bigger screen would be nice, though. But as far as the OS, I don't really have any complaints. My Centro is very stable. Palm finally got it right.

    I'm not against something new and flashy, though. I'm sure I'll make the switch to webos eventually. But PalmOS is working great for me these days.
  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #12  
    I really can't see palm confusing people and diluting the brand by mixing up their bargain phone line (centro) with their premium offering (Pre,???).

    I'm sure there will eventually be a cheaper version of the pre but it's not going to called Centro 2...
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142 View Post
    for the same reason microsoft closed down windows 95.
    it was old, outdated & couldnt do what people wanted it to do
    almost all applications are compatible in windows 95 onward -- most could work even in vista -- even some DOS could likely be run via a dos window
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Honestly, I would be happy if my Centro just had the Pre's big screen and sliding keyboard. Palm OS still works fantastic for me. With Sprint's high speed data and the Centro's ample memory and storage, I'm a happy camper. It just works. I don't need wifi or stereo bluetooth. And I can play music while I use other applications. When I leave an application and come back, it looks the same as I left it. Not multitasking, but close.

    Email, web, text messages, Docs to Go, games, music, movies, and a whole lot more work great on my Centro. As I said, the bigger screen would be nice, though. But as far as the OS, I don't really have any complaints. My Centro is very stable. Palm finally got it right.

    I'm not against something new and flashy, though. I'm sure I'll make the switch to webos eventually. But PalmOS is working great for me these days.
    Yeah I agree with you there. I can listen to music and surf the web.

    I just know there could be even more features and I've always loved palmOS, I just want them to upgrade it

    The only complaint I honestly have is that there isn't a decent web browser. Opera Mini (with it's evil java VM!) freezes my phone every 1 in 7 times that I open it and I have to pull off the battery cover to reset the phone (which is quickly wearing out my battery cover!)
  15. #15  
    jhoff, nice summary. Some filler for 2005-6:

    After there were no takers for Cobalt, PalmSource commenced efforts on what was called Palm On Linux. It was also abandoned when Access purchased PalmSource.
  16. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    Palm abandoned it a long long long long long long long long long long long time ago with absolutely no more support, then finally released the new OS when it was almost too late. That was a 6 year "transition" (but not really a transition here!)
    Your talking about two different companies, Palm Source developed PalmOS, Palm One, now just plain Palm, licensed it. Palm developed WebOS from scratch, this is their one and only operating system. Palm Source as already mentioned scrapped Garnet's sucessor, Cobalt, before completion and then were bought by Access who jointly wrote ALP.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Let's see. Because it didn't support more than two radios at once, which meant just cell radio and bluetooth, no internal gps or wifi possible.

    Because it didn't have any protected memory space for applications to run in, the main reason it was possible for applications to end up hard resetting the device.

    Because it couldn't multitask in the true sense of the word. (Threads could run in the background, applications couldn't.)

    Because it was plain ugly.

    Because it had inherent lag due to the NVFS used in all modern devices.

    Because it was a kludgy mashup of tons of little patches to add features to an OS that wasn't supposed ever to do these things (hence the name "FrankenGarnet".)

    Because the current iteration, OS5 (aka Garnet) is 6 years old, but still acted basically the same as the 12 year old original version on the original Palm Pilot.

    Because they were losing marketshare and going broke, and needed something shocking and new.

    I'm sure I could come up with more reasons if I thought about it, but those are just a few off the top of my head.
    I once read an article about the history of Palm and the OS. It said the the original OS WOULD multitask. They were just to cheap or shortsighted to buy that particular lincense. Go fig.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  18. #18  
    But on the other hand how hard would it have been to have backwards compatibility?

    Colligan has been quoted in the past 6mos saying that it will have POS compatibility. Now for it not to is an extreme disappointment.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  19. #19  
    for its power of new CPU and memory ( I suspect it is quite large). I don't see why an emulator won't work.
  20. #20  
    As long as Palm gives the emulator developers access to run native ARM code. If not, they're screwed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions