Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well now that the Pre is out of the bag, what is next for the WebOS? The Centro 2 running the new OS?

Here's my cr@ppy PhotoChop (actually Paint.net) edit of what the Centro 2 could look like.

Centro 2?

Any ideas? Feedback?

I think the next centro won't have Real GPS (just the cell tower stuff it uses now) and won't have Wifi, but will be 3G, 4gb of storage/Micro SD?, micro USB, and a screen with the same rez as the Pre.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    No thanks.....

I could certainly see them standardising on the use of WebOS for all of their phones as it matures.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I could certainly see them standardising on the use of WebOS for all of their phones as it matures.
    That would make sense but I expect they will keep at least one high-end Win device for the people that will never leave microsoft
  5.    #5  
    I'm sorry to see the that the proud Treo brand is now going to be subjected to Windows Mobile. Anyone else think that way?
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    I'm sorry to see the that the proud Treo brand is now going to be subjected to Windows Mobile. Anyone else think that way?
    Yes I would have preferred them not to call the WM phones Treos. It was a good business decision to put the WM phones out to ensure their survival, but they aren't really Treos are they.
    Very nice rendering, and good assumptions about general form factor. But the Centro design was mostly done by the time Rubinstein got there. I think all new devices going forward will actually be pretty, like the Pro and the Pre.
    Nice photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk View Post
    Agree. But it's what they had to do
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I made this one

http://i39.tinypic.com/34oskqx.jpg

Flush screen, gesture area, full keyboard. Losing the d-pad and hard buttons opens up room for 160 more pixels, giving it a resolution of 320x480.

Seems like the gesture space is the new d-pad for OS control.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Superb job, bigredgpk & NickDG! That's precisely what I imagined the "Centro 2" to look like! I think that Palm cannot downsize the little silver button there in the middle of the gesture area much more, so there's gotta be room left for it.

I predict the next Centro sharing the Pre's battery, microUSB, and 320x480 resolution (but on a physically smaller LCD) but dropping wi-fi & GPS for sure. It'll probably have a 2mp camera without the DSP stuff & flash. As far as storage, I could see the Centro 2 packing 2-4gb of memory internally or possibly (but in no way guaranteed) having a microSD slot. If they give it a microSD slot, then I imagine the 3.5mm jack will have to remain, given the Centro's younger target audience unless Palm dumps it for size/cost/artificial reasons.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    I want that phone!! ^^^ add soft touch rubberized paint and its perfect
    I predict that the next Centro will run PalmOS (if there is a another Centro).
    I don't see why they would abandon the Centro brand being that it sold over a million phones
    Nokia American Idol Phone< Motorola RAZR<Nokia Flip Phone<Sidekick Slide<Palm Centro<HTC Snap

Currently Enjoying: Palm Pixi
    I like that phone.
    I think the Pre is the Centro 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    I predict that the next Centro will run PalmOS (if there is a another Centro).
    Didn't Palm already say that they were dropping the PalmOS in favor of WebOS? I don't see them reverting unless the Pre is a complete flop (which I can't see happening).

And if a new Centro looks anything like these renders, sign me up!

Nice job!
    Ive read from some Palm article the next Centro is already being developed for Sprint.

Centro 2 Running WebOS in the Works?

dont know if its true or not..
    but what would be the difference between Pre and the next Centro?
    1. SD card clot
    2. Other Colors
    3. No Keyboard
    4. Probably no Wifi
    5. and hopefully a little inset hole for cellphone charms and straps =)
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    For a Centro 2 running WebOS I'd assume the following:

-No Wi-fi
    -Probably no GPS
    -Lesser quality onboard camera
    -No internal storage (but a microSD slot instead) OR no card slot but a reduced amount of internal space (2 or 4gb?)
    -Slower CPU
    -Possibly not compatible with the Touchstone
    -Possibly no slide-out keyboard (by this point Palm will possibly have gotten some kind of onscreen keyboard integrated into WebOS)
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    What do you think about the WebOS on a Treo? Will it ever happen?
    You can be rest assured that ANY WM or WebOS phone coming out from Palm will come with GPS and WiFi, makes no sense NOT to put them out. Providers makes money off the GPS and due to the features included in the phones now anyone using a "serious" phone needs to have WiFi. There are a number of college students that seldom leave campus that could make use of the phones without a data plan by using the campus wide WiFi. And with WiMax and such coming out the chipset support for GPS and WiFi are such that it doesn't make much sense to save the $5-10 in parts to NOT put WiFi or GPS in the phone. People are getting hooked on WiFi and some of what WebOS does depends on GPS to make it work. So don't expect those features to be missing from any sucessful future phones.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast