Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Lastest pictures of the proto type does not show where a camera or if a camera is included on the unit.

That I hope I am wrong would proclude the ability of say.... Video Phoning...

Like the Chinese have just launched....

Would be nice to see us able to do this.

The Koreans have been doing Video on 3G for a couple years now.

The Japanese for a tad longer.

Just a wonder.
    Cary Conover
    Principal Systems Consultant
    Friend of Bill W. and Dr. Bob
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    T-Mobile 3095502877@tmomail.net <<---- Easiest method to contact me.
    Yahoo - carydconover@yahoo.com
    Hotmail - caryconover@hotmail.com
    Quote Originally Posted by carydc View Post
    The Lastest pictures of the proto type does not show where a camera or if a camera is included on the unit.
    What pictures of the prototype? The only things that I have seen are figments of fertile imaginations, so why would you expect them to be up to spec.

And then there is ...and will feature a high-spec cam of some sort

Let's see what Thursday brings.
    Last edited by johncc; 01/06/2009 at 04:52 PM.
  3.    #3  
    The Latest that is out is a Mockup which uses the first inside source info and taking the treo picks and making what is suspected to be the look and feel of the new device using the treo body and a slide down t1 top.

http://tinycomb.com/2009/01/04/palm-new-release-nova/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44432840@N00/3142231559/

You are correct, These are all conjecture. No solid pictures to go by.

It must have been a hit and run this is what it looks like and no time to completely document what all it does do or how it does it.

I for one hope there are ground breaking features and that items like the live video calling is included.

Regards,

C
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  4. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    What's the big deal about video calls? we have been able to do it for three, four?? years in the UK and it's never taken off - who actually wants it?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What's the big deal about video calls? we have been able to do it for three, four?? years in the UK and it's never taken off - who actually wants it?
    Maybe high tech mobile phone sex!
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Maybe high tech mobile phone sex!
    "take a look at THIS!" - joking aside, I think that's the only time I received a video call was someone mooning me!
  7.    #7  
    It is much more personal than just a voice on the other end of the phone. It also shows exactly the body language of those that you are talking with. It additionally shows what the voice does not when in business dealings.

Sure that means we can no longer sit in our bath robes with a cup of Joe and take a conference call unless we mute video, so be it.

This would make Business much more open and the ability to know what is going on and how well things are going much more fluid.

The Orient has been doing it for years too and using it.

The US has used it for Business at the Top Levels only.

Lets bring it to the Masses and not keep it only for the C Level people that seem to be getting let go in record numbers.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  8.    #8  
    It will also make teaching and training much easier as then Video Conferencing would be for the Masses and we Could then ensure that the Students to finally understand as the face speaks a thousand words if you know how to read it....
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  9.    #9  
    Plus when reporting a Crime and you have the Criminal right there.... Guess what... You now have a video picture of exactly who committed the crime and can easily use Face recognition software to find the criminal, also you can see the license plate and trace the automobile, all things that video captures quickly and easily that can be easily enhanced to assist in the pursuit of life as we know it.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  10.    #10  
    Yes, I know we could have been videoing to capture this info in the first place. But if when you dial 911 you have video already rolling they police immediately know that you are in critical condition when they see that there is blood every where and things are hanging out of the body. It makes it much easier to diagnose a situation and talk to those at the scene and know who to send and just how critical the situation is.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Plus when reporting a Crime and you have the Criminal right there.... Guess what... You now have a video picture of exactly who committed the crime and can easily use Face recognition software to find the criminal, also you can see the license plate and trace the automobile, all things that video captures quickly and easily that can be easily enhanced to assist in the pursuit of life as we know it.

I work in that sector, that's nothing to with consumer adoption of a technology. As for your other points, it's just not practical, I don't want to hold a phone for a two hour meeting. If I wanted to do that, why am I not going to use a cheaper but better internet connection and web cam? things fit for purpose. You seem to be missing up video conferencing with video calls - similar things but using different technologies. Nobody is going to want to run video conferences off their phones.
  12.    #12  
    I have had many a time I am asked to a call for a very short period of time that would suffice on a Mobile Video Call.

Plus there are times that a WebCam is not practical.

Where as a Phone Cam is.

The ten minutes I am on the call is one of them.

Point taken for the 1 or 2 hour call.

But if they are 1 or 2 hour calls why are they that long?

What is so important that it takes TWO hours to discuss?

That means management is unable to be empowered to do their jobs by their Seniors. This means too much micro Management. That is an environment I would want to avoid.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  13.    #13  
    There has also been many a time where I could show something quickly as in a method or mod over the phone and know immediately if the person I was helping was getting the solution or not just by their facial responses. Voices do not tell the entire story.

Body Language and Facial Expression tell a larger story.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  14.    #14  
    With Video Phoning there is a much more personal touch to the process. Not just from a Customer and Sales prespective of Business, but it is as close to being there as possible where ever you happen to be. Sharing whatever is just that much easier.

The Birthday party moment with Grand Ma, to the First Ferris Wheel Ride for Junior or What have you.

Sure you can record and ship it via email, or do the webcam thing, but it is still tethered to the computer. This Completely removes the tether and makes it real time.

Once people try it for these things then the video camera ranks will start going the way of the dodo and this will catch on and rage.

C
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    There are many reasons for conference calls to last multiple hours. I usually average one of those a month.

Now with that said, I would not want to have a video phone call with someone on a cell phone unless they had a cradle for said phone call. Nothing is more sickening (quite literally) than an unsteady camera when you are trying to watch something.
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    There are many reasons for conference calls to last multiple hours. I usually average one of those a month.

Now with that said, I would not want to have a video phone call with someone on a cell phone unless they had a cradle for said phone call. Nothing is more sickening (quite literally) than an unsteady camera when you are trying to watch something.

Agreed!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  17.    #17  
    If you have a Large Group of People on the phone for multiple hours you better have an extremely good reason.

Everytime I have been in a Meeting lasting that long I have taken my laptop and completed 10 other things at the same time.

Those meetings are more about people going over and over and over details that have been discussed and discussed and discussed than any thing else.

Just hold people accountable. That means be one on one and get the job done.

Be a Manager. Get the Job Done. Don't waste time discussing it.

Now that said.

As for the issue of a wobbling phone. There would be two screens on the phone. When you are looking at the phone you would see them and you. You would also want just as stable a screen as they would want.

Agreed if you have to have your marathon meetings, then that would need to be a desktop machine.

This country and the world needs to get out of the mold of meet for hours on end to discuss what they want to do and get nothing done. We need to get out of the board room and into the streets and get the job done, not discuss it.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
  18.    #18  
    Meetings are a style.

My style is to be getting the job done and do what I was hired to do, not talk about what I was hired to do.

This is a discussion about technology and Phones.

So back to topic.

Yes long discussions would need a craddle in a Car or on a Desk. That would be very possible and easy to do. A good Hi Res Camera would make this possible and remove the need for wires all over the place.

Additionally doing this would compress the already growing number of phone numbers that we all have and just make it much easier to contact us.

One phone that goes from pocket, to car, to craddle, to pocket, to office, to pocket.

That has been the issue for time memorial.

Also battery life. BB has a good grip on use of power. That would be a good lesson to take from the market too.

If we could do away with the batteries all together and use the newer power systems where power is sent to the phones via RF Waves that would further the cause and make the phones even lighter and more effective in doing the job they are built to do.

Phones are in every sense our communications with others. We may have the ability to finally cut the cord for good and just ensure that the device is and always remains uncorded for communication.
    Cary Conover
    309-550-2877 Cell
    AIM - cdc6000x
    ICQ - #16279059
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    If you have a Large Group of People on the phone for multiple hours you better have an extremely good reason.

Everytime I have been in a Meeting lasting that long I have taken my laptop and completed 10 other things at the same time.

Those meetings are more about people going over and over and over details that have been discussed and discussed and discussed than any thing else.

Just hold people accountable. That means be one on one and get the job done.

Be a Manager. Get the Job Done. Don't waste time discussing it.
    The reason meetings last longer than death is that people don't know how to put together effective agendas, and stick to them. There is nothing inherently wrong with meetings that last a few hours, but the end result is that you need to know who must do what by when - and then follow up on it.

Each item on the agenda gets its alloted time, and a couple of minutes before the end of the time, you make a decision about the direction you'll be taking, and assign tasks and due dates.

Simplicity, people.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Deaf people. We're already using video phones in our homes to sign to each other, would be nice to be able to do it mobile too.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast